“10th wedding anniversary”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 December 2013

A great stay in what we believe is the best 5s tar hotel in Edinburgh. We have tried then all as we go to his great city every year for our anniversary. This year was a bit special as it was our to anniversary and chose the Scotsman after a good experience last year. It did not let us down. Great service, greatt location and great breakfast too!

Room Tip: Hotel happy to upgrade at no cost to a larger room as a anniversary treat for us!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have recently stayed here for two very comfortable nights. We stayed in room 507 which we might have preferred to be a little higher up, however the room was a great size and very well appointed. It was a little shabby round the edges which was a shame, but I just think this room is used a lot being one of the cheaper rooms within the hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful and were very discreet. Overall the hotel and spa were a great quality and we would definitely come back here again.

Room Tip: If you are coming via train, there is a entrance just outside the station into the hotel
2  Thank Tim A
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I would not hesitate to give this hotel a 5* review if it wasn't for an unfortunate and disgusting experience I had there recently - and the fact that the hotel has not followed up on this disaster.

I was taken here by my girlfriend as a surprise for my birthday. We were to have spa treatments, dinner, a wonderful relaxing night in the hotel and breakfast the following morning.
On arriving we were met by such friendly and helpful staff. concierge and reception simply could not do enough for us - very welcoming.
We were taken to our room and we decided to get into our robes and head down for a swim, sauna, Jacuzzi and all that stuff before dinner.
As we left the room and the door closed behind us we realised that we did not have the room key. We were not worried as everyone was so helpful when we arrived, we were sure this would not be an issue.
As we walked to the lift my girlfriend spotted something coming through my robe. As she examined it further from the other side, she was suddenly disgusted with what she had located. The robe had been unfortunate recipient of someones period blood and the cleaning contractor had obviously missed the rather horrific mess on my robe. Moreover, there was another yellow stain on the robe which just added to the level of disbelief I was experiencing.
As I did not want to be seen in the more public areas of the hotel wearing a period blood and pee stained robe, I asked my girlfriend to go down and have someone not only bring a fresh and clean robe but also bring a key for our room so that I didn't have to wait in the corridor.
Unfortunately I had to wait in the corridor for over 20 minutes until someone came up.
During this time my girlfriend had been to the spa to collect a fresh rob herself as reception were utterly mobbed at the time. The spa seemed rather disinterested with our situation. When she took the robe to the reception, staff were obviously disgusted too and apologised and said they would look into what has happened.
I believe my girlfriend had instructed them to take this as a official complaint as it was almost unthinkable that this could occur in such a stunning hotel.
Since then, 14 days ago, we have heard nothing from the hotel. Not even an apology let alone an explanation.
I will be writing to them also as I would hate to think that this situation could happen again.

Other than that, we had a wonderful dinner, a great breakfast with amazing sausages and we had a fantastic time in the spa.
Again, I would have given this hotel, staff, food and spa 5* if it wasn't for what happened and the lack of care being displayed from the zero contact and communication

Room Tip: We were up on the 7th or 8th floor were no external noise could be heard - I'd recommend those f...
3  Thank Mark L
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Duty Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
Regarding your bathrobe, I sincerely apologise for this oversight we are truly baffted as to how the robe was missed, as we normally have very stringent checks of the items returning from our laundry. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper and our Rooms Division Manager and I am sorry that no one from the hotel has got back to you. We have since had a meeting with our laundry company to discuss the return of a soiled robe and have decided to use another company to both launder and supply our linen requirements moving forward. I sincerely apologise that their oversight had a negative impact on your stay with us.
I was on duty the day you checked in and I sent some prosecco up to the room for you and your girlfriend to enjoy upon your return from the Spa, following your comments at reception. I also called your room a few times through the evening but was unable to make contact with you.
In regards to your positive comments about our team members and the warm welcome you received I shall pass this on to the team. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

Again sir, I do sincerely apologise that you have been left with such a bad impression of our hotel. Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman, to go someway to redeeming our good name please contact me directly on 0131 556 5565 to allow us to offer you our best available rate and perhaps a complimentary upgrade to one of our sumptuous suites.
Warm regards,
Vicki

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Recommended hotel. Service is excellent and very personable.

The location is right in the heart of Edinburgh within easy walking distance of all attractions and shops and a great many restaurants.

The rooms are lovely and a reasonable size and there are some nice touches such as umbrellas in the rooms which is very handy for British weather.

Food is of great quality and there is a luxury spa on the lower floors to make the stay even better.

Very good quality and value for money overall.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at The Scotsman and thought the hotel was lovely, staff were very pleasant and our room was very clean and a really good size. We did have one small problem with our room in that my husband went to the bathroom through the night but the handle mechanism wouldn't work to open the door so he was stuck in there until I released him at 6.10am!! We took this up with Andrew, the duty manager and he was very professional and apologised and had the door mechanism repaired immediately. The spa facilities are superb, my husband wasn't too happy that one of the gay lads that worked on spa reception took a shine to him but I don't know what he was moaning about, at least somebody fancies him!!!!! Breakfast was excellent with a very good choice but we didn't rate the food in North Street Brasserie restaurant in the evening, in fact the food was dire!! We would definitely return to The Scotsman Hotel.

3  Thank rj&lj
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We've stayed at the Scotsman a couple of times, a bit disappointed this time with the room. It was a furnace, we had to get the fan out in the middle of the night and got no sleep. Delightful staff moved us to another (cooler room) but little bits and pieces (phone and fridge not working, toilet blocked but not fixed, carpets looking a bit frayed) took away from the generally enjoyable, cosy and Christmassy vibe.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Fantastic Hotel - Central location with views over Princess street - staff brilliant and we would recommend the restaurant !! Service A1 From the start. Room on the seventh floor very quiet . Good breakfast in the morning - in my opinion best small hotel in Edinburgh!! 5 Star ....

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family