“Classic Charm”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Great service in this excellent hotel. I have stayed before and really enjoyed it. Wasn't in and Editors Suite this time - just in a Classic Room and I was only there for one night but still, it was full of character.
Great Fitness Centre too.
Hotel is close to town of course and offers a real Scottish experience.
I have to say though that my bed was awful. I stayed on the 8th floor and the bed had the imprint of other bodies in it. You found yourself moving into the old grooves as it was the only way to get comfortable. I had a terrible sleep. I mentioned it the manager the following morning at checkout when he asked me how my stay was. He said 'oh sorry' and that was all.
So avoid the 8th floor and the crusty old beds :-). Still a good place to stay but might try the Balmoral next.

Room Tip: Visit the Spa. Brilliant!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind words, I am pleased to hear that this is a return visit.
I have passed your comments onto Our Head of housekeeping regarding the mattress, however because I am unaware of which room you were allocated I can not comment with regards to this. However I have been assured that our team check the mattresses regularly and replace these when required. I’m sure you can appreciate that each of our guest’s have their own opinion and requirements when it comes to mattress comfort and it is, unfortunately, not possible for us to meet everyone’s expectations; I am sorry that this disturbed your stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My boyfriend treated me to a lovely 2 night stay at the Scotsman Hotel, from the 9th January, and we have both just returned from an absolutely brilliant little break.

The second we walked in the door, the staff were welcoming and friendly, and couldn't do enough to help. My heavy suitcase was out of my hands in seconds!

The room was bright, modern, and very clean, with a great view of the Balmoral Hotel. Bathroom was also very very nice. It was also very quiet, which I was very surprised at, given the hotel's location.

Regular cleaning of the room, turn down service, and 24 hour room service available too. Didn't dine in the restaurant but it looked really lovely - had breakfast there and it was beautiful, with plenty choice.

Pool and gym facilities are brilliant. Pool is so relaxing, and the gym is very well equipped. Spa staff, too, are very friendly. Was definitely a highlight.

We have had a lovely weekend, and given the chance, would definitely return. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I am glad you would definitely return and ask you please contact the hotel directly where we can arrange this for you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I treated my mum to a day in edinburgh and chose the Scotsman as a hotel. The staff were fantastic, letting us check in at 7:30 in the morning as we had just come from London on a sleeper. The room was spacious and having use of the pool and it's facilities was a nice bonus. Thanks for a beautiful stay. Oh and the location is awesome. No noise nuisance for us at all the beds were the comfiest I have ever stayed in.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your lovely comments regarding your stay with us.
I am glad you decided on The Scotsman as your choice of accommodation whilst visiting our beautiful city for your mum’s birthday. We are very lucky to occupy such a fantastic city centre location and I hope you will choose to return to stay with us.

Once again thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My partner and I spent New Year at this hotel. It is in great central location. The staff are very friendly and the breakfast excellent. Infortunately I do not believe it the worth the money they charge.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your stay with us at New Year.

However it concerns me that you feel this was not worth the money; feedback no matter what kind is very important to us. If you feel this is something you would like to discuss I would ask that you contact myself directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with my wife for two nights between xmas and new year. The rooms were lovely (big and spacious) and really liked the touch of having a cubby hole so as there is no need to be distrubed when room service arrives. The view we had from our room was great (overlooking Princess Street gardens). The location of the hotel is superb.

We used the spa which was lovely too. Really good choice of treatments. Would recommend the pool aside from childrens times.

The food was good, cooked breakfast was a high standard of ingredients and the meal we had in the brasserie one night was excellent.

Only annoying thing about this hotel is the speed of the lifts; very slow but this is due to the buildings age which by the way is a stunning building.

Overall great hotel and stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

We are very lucky to occupy such a great location in the city centre of Edinburgh with great views of Princess street the gardens, calton hill, the old town and of course our most important tourist attraction the castle! I am glad you were able to take In these views!

I hope that you will return to stay with us and we do very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Excellent city centre location, fabulous views from room (not a luxury suite, just an ordinary room). The room was very well furnished and had all the facilities expected; very clean and lots of attention to detail. Nice and quiet for a city centre location.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much bother. Checking in and out was painless, and getting 30% off parking at the station multi-storey through hotel reception was much appreciated.
Breakfast was excellent and very reasonably priced, and dinner was also very enjoyable and well presented, with a nice ambiance.
Will definitely book again when next in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: I think most rooms probably have a great view, but ask for one facing north/north-west.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive words regarding your stay with us at The Scotsman.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart prides himself on working with local Scottish suppliers to build an imaginative and modern menu that has a twist on many of your traditional Scottish favourites and I am glad you decided on dining with us.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am glad you will return to stay with us and ask that you contact the hotel directly where our reservations team will be more than happy to look into availability and offers for you.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very very disappointing experience 3rd Jan. 2014
Room 303. Nightclub noise pulsating into our room until 4.00am !!!

Mattress also not fit for purpose - lumps & bumps allover !!!

We will not be returning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple