“Questionable 5 star. Worst nights sleep EVER.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Australia
“Questionable 5 star. Worst nights sleep EVER.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night as part of a birthday weekend for my wife, one of the worst nights sleep we've had in a hotel.
The "king size" bed was no more than a standard double at best. The mattress had seen better days.
The room it's self was stifling hot with no way of turning the heat down, we ended up with two windows open (in January) to cool the room. The down side to that was the noise which was the lesser of the two evils!
The cleanliness left a lot to be desired, the curtains had various stains as did the carpet.
We did try to complain to the receptionist in the morning however she clearly wasn't interested in anything we had to say and dismissed us with a "that's strange, it's not normally like that". Maybe needs to brush up on her customer service skills!

Won't be back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GMcB
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Services at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity to apologise that your stay did not meet with your expectations.

As I am unaware what room you were allocated and when exactly you stayed I cannot comment with clarity with regards to the comments you have made.

However if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to discuss this with you.

Kind regards

Laura Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here for a 2 night weekend break with friends. The hotel is absolutely charming and is a character in itself, we had a Publisher Suite and the Baron Suite which was split over two levels and is just amazing. All the staff are so friendly , welcoming and genuinely interested in their guests. As someone who stays in hotels all around the world for business it was a delight to visit a hotel in my home country and feel proud that the Scottish hospitality in The Scotsman is just brilliant. The location is great , very central right next to Waverley train station and yet the rooms were so quiet. The Spa is lovely, although we left it too late to book treatments ,we were able to enjoy the Spa facilities as guests of the hotel , another huge bonus. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 803 Baron Suite , split over two levels , its like having your own apartment with separate dini...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

Once again thank you for your kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel from the 11th to the 13th January. What an amazing place. From the moment we walked up to the entrance to the time we left the staff were friendly, very welcoming, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Afternoon tea was fabulous! The room was a delight.
Highly recommended and we will definitely go back. Whatever 'formula' the hotel uses they have got it spot on.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dewforrie
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind words regarding your stay with us, its always a pleasure hear that our guests have had such an enjoyable stay.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed for the weekend at the end of november for a treat for my wifes 30th birthday, room was disappointing, got no sleep the first night because of a banging window. Reported it to reception but they weren't bothered so had to wedge books in the window myself. Also ordered rose petals as a treat for the 2 days but only got them on the first day. Have rang them 3 times and sent an e-mail and i am still waiting for a response.
Very unhappy at the service and overall stay, won't be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brett S
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, customer services at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I am very disappointed to hear that you passed your comments on to reception but feel they weren’t bothered, we have a maintenance team in the hotel who deal with every these kind of problems so I am very confused as to why this wasn’t dealt with by them.

With regards to you calling the hotel 3 times and also sending an email, this is not the usual five standard standards of service we are very proudly known for, can I ask that you contact myself directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Dingwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had dinner at The Scotsman Hotel in Edinburgh last week with 4 business colleagues. The architecture is worth seeing (especially the marble staircase). It may not be fair to review any restaurant on an evening in the first week in January - diners were very thin in the ground. Although the place was almost empty I think the atmosphere would be good on a busy night. The staff were professional. I had the haggis, neeps & tatties starter - a good dish. For the main course I had the fish in beer batter - an honest dish and plenty of it! I had dined in the restaurant once before (again a slow winter's night) - I must try it again at a busier time of year.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Donald F
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your stay with us.
The North Bridge Brasserie was originally the main advertising room when the Scotsman was the famous Edinburgh Newspaper; retaining the stunning marble pillars, wood panelling and wrought iron balcony the Brasserie has its own individual and wonderful atmosphere for enjoying your evening.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart prides himself on working with local Scottish suppliers to build an imaginative and modern menu that has a twist on many of your traditional Scottish favourites, I am pleased to see you were able to enjoy our most popular starter!
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Taupo, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Great service in this excellent hotel. I have stayed before and really enjoyed it. Wasn't in and Editors Suite this time - just in a Classic Room and I was only there for one night but still, it was full of character.
Great Fitness Centre too.
Hotel is close to town of course and offers a real Scottish experience.
I have to say though that my bed was awful. I stayed on the 8th floor and the bed had the imprint of other bodies in it. You found yourself moving into the old grooves as it was the only way to get comfortable. I had a terrible sleep. I mentioned it the manager the following morning at checkout when he asked me how my stay was. He said 'oh sorry' and that was all.
So avoid the 8th floor and the crusty old beds :-). Still a good place to stay but might try the Balmoral next.

Room Tip: Visit the Spa. Brilliant!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind words, I am pleased to hear that this is a return visit.
I have passed your comments onto Our Head of housekeeping regarding the mattress, however because I am unaware of which room you were allocated I can not comment with regards to this. However I have been assured that our team check the mattresses regularly and replace these when required. I’m sure you can appreciate that each of our guest’s have their own opinion and requirements when it comes to mattress comfort and it is, unfortunately, not possible for us to meet everyone’s expectations; I am sorry that this disturbed your stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Laura cooper
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

My boyfriend treated me to a lovely 2 night stay at the Scotsman Hotel, from the 9th January, and we have both just returned from an absolutely brilliant little break.

The second we walked in the door, the staff were welcoming and friendly, and couldn't do enough to help. My heavy suitcase was out of my hands in seconds!

The room was bright, modern, and very clean, with a great view of the Balmoral Hotel. Bathroom was also very very nice. It was also very quiet, which I was very surprised at, given the hotel's location.

Regular cleaning of the room, turn down service, and 24 hour room service available too. Didn't dine in the restaurant but it looked really lovely - had breakfast there and it was beautiful, with plenty choice.

Pool and gym facilities are brilliant. Pool is so relaxing, and the gym is very well equipped. Spa staff, too, are very friendly. Was definitely a highlight.

We have had a lovely weekend, and given the chance, would definitely return. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer service at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014

I am glad you would definitely return and ask you please contact the hotel directly where we can arrange this for you.