“Great location, fantastic staff”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #89 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“Great location, fantastic staff”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 2 night stay at the Scotsman. My wife had booked the stay for my 40th birthday and the staff upgraded us to one of their suites on the 4th floor. The room was huge and the the wood panelling and decor adding to the history of this grand hotel.

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location, with many of the cities sights and restaurants well within walking distance. The Brasserie bar is a good starting off point to explore the city with a range of well made cocktails which helped kick the night off...

Breakfast was well catered for with a range of cooked and continental plates on offer, and an endless supply of freshly made coffee..

We didn't have an evening meal in the hotel but went to a few of the nearby restaurants, recommended by the doorman Ivor, who is a real credit to the hotel.

In fact, all of the staff went out of their way to makes this trip really special for us and I'd happily recommend a stay here....

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
fife
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just back from a two night special deal and we were not disappointed. The room was quite small but bed was comfortable and they made good use of the space.Fresh decor and a modern bathroom with White Company toiletries.Checking in was quick and we were shown to our room and informed of all the amenities we had the use of. The service the whole weekend was excellent and many hotels could learn from them. My wife loved the spa treatments and the facilities and no high pressure sales to buy products. We had afternoon tea in the drawing room and we had special requirements which were met with no fuss and again the service was excellent. The highlight for us was dinner in the Brasserie where the quality and taste was fantastic,credit to the head chef and his team on the food they produce. As it was a birthday treat for my wife we both agreed that it was not the cheapest but one of the best breaks we have had.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I would like to thank you on behalf of the whole team for your kind words detailed in your recent review, feedback is very important but when it is so positive it’s such a pleasure to read!

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart prides himself on working with local Scottish suppliers to build an imaginative and modern menu that has a twist on many of your traditional Scottish favourites I am glad to hear you were able to experience this.

Once again thank you for your kind words and I am glad you choose the Scotsman for such a special occasion.

Laura Cooper
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed for what was meant to be a romantic weekend away, only to be kier awake by the dj, spoke to reception 5 times asked for a manager to come to our room, no one arrived, my partner had to go to reception on a number of times through the night as we could not sleep from the noise, for a 5 star hotel and the mints we paid the service was terrible

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Saffy1401
Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments.

I am unaware of what date you stayed with us I cannot comment with clarity, I am very keen however to have some further information regarding this so I would ask that you please contact myself directly.

Laura Cooper
The Highlands
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just spent two nights on a special deal. Our room was disappointingly small for a five star hotel but it was clean, quiet and comfortable. The location is ideal. Just two minutes walk from Princes Street and the Royal Mile. My meal on the first night was good but my wife's was disappointing. Smoked salmon was looking a bit tired and the duck was tough. The staff couldn't have been better. Very friendly and helpful. The Spa and pool were lovely although a bit more lighting in the pool would have been good. It was like swimming in the dark. Would we go back? Only if there was another deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I will pass your comments onto our head chef regarding the comments you have made about your wife’s meal.

I hope that you will choose to return to stay with us and ask that if you contact the hotel directly where they will be able to offer you the best rates available and advice on any future offers.

Laura cooper
edinburgh
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We visited for a spa afternoon and afternoon tea yesterday and was mildly disappointed. The staff were super friendly and helpful but the moment we entered the spa there was a damp horrid smell. It was extremely busy and almost impossible to find a locker and the changing rooms were littered with used towels, hairs all over showers and needed a good tidy. Staff must see this or should check when so busy. I thought generally the place needed a good clean and paint as scuffed, dirty marks on carpet etc and this was also the same in the disabled WC upstairs beside reception ( back of door scuffed, splash marks on wall). Not 5 star but very friendly staff. Our afternoon tea was good – not great as sandwiches a bit mean on filling and some dried at the ends but fab scones and cakes and again lovely staff. This was a gift from a discount website so at that price acceptable but I would have been unhappy if I had paid full price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katie26
Reviewed 8 February 2014

On arrival I was shown to my room (805) by a very polite man who carried my bags all the way to the eighth floor as the lift was broken. The room was incredibly clean and staff visited many times throughout the day to clean, restock the mini bar and fold clothes. Every time you enter the hotel you are welcomed warmly. Towels and robes were clean and changed daily, and samples restocked. The location was perfect as I came for a shopping trip, and when ever I had too many shopping bags I could comeback to my room and leave them. It is also in a prime location as it right next to the train station and Edinburgh dungeons! All staff could not be any more helpful. The range of cocktails in the brassier were magic and we had dinner in the hotel 1/2 nights,which was great. I highly recommend this hotel and deffo will be back! Brilliant!

• Stayed February 2014
Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent stay at the Scotsman hotel.
Delighted to see the wonderful doorman Ivor again,a true Scottish welcome.
Stayed over Burns weekend,we were greeted with a dram on arrival an upgrade to a Director Suite.amazing room and the views were great.
Had a fabulous dinner again.
Great hotel,we felt very welcome.
Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple