“Fabulous location to hold your wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
West Sussex
“Fabulous location to hold your wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My eldest daughter and her now husband chose this hotel to celebrate their wedding (22 February 2014.) I have nothing but praise for the hotel,in particular the staff. Nothing was too much for them and service was always with a smile. My family members occupied a total of five rooms over three nights and we were impressed by the overall quality. My wife and I were treated to a suite (206) which was very nice. This room became the HQ for the pre wedding preparations! My only observation would be that there was a shortage of clothes hanging space and stationery items. Perhaps an information file could be placed in the rooms to show details of the hotel,the workings of the TV and tourist attractions. We really enjoyed a private pre wedding dinner in the Drawing Room with meals chosen from a set menu. The wedding was brilliantly coordinated by Nicole Hunter.Each of the function rooms were well presented,in particular the Club Room which was used for the wedding breakfast. The attention to detail and the staff employed to serve the guests was first class. The marble staircase is a unique and wonderful area for the official photographs. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us whilst celebrating your daughter’s wedding.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments with regards to all of our staff and in particular Nicole hunter; I have already personally passed this on to Nicole as well as Our General Manager.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

With regards to the comments about the information file we are in the process of these being re designed; I will however pass this onto our rooms operations manager in the hope that we can have something placed into the room for the time being.

Once again I hope that if you do choose to stay with us you will contact either Nicole or myself and we will be more than happy to take care of this for you.

Kindest Regards

Laura Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked tea at the Scotsman, booking confusingly stated it was The Northbridge Brasserie, arrived there and were taken to the 'Drawing Room' in the Hotel. Up some stairs and some corridors away.
Drawing room minimal and uncluttered but lacking in ambience. Understand a harpist sometimes performs, this would have been lovely. But not in evidence during visit.

Cakes and tea excellent, as good as anywhere I have dined, staff very pleasant although unaware of which set tea menu option booked online (Prosecco/Champagne/neither).

On a practical note toilets are down a couple of corridors and on the floor below, not ideal, although there is a disabled toilet very near.

Looks as if this room not intended for this sort of use and has been pressed into service as an additional income stream.

Although staff very pleasant, if paying top dollar for tea and cakes would want something to make it special, e.g. ambience. Would not visit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John_B_331900
Gourock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

On a short stay in Edinburgh we were thrilled to get an upgrade to a suite. We found the staff to be exceptionally friendly, not like some who can't even give you eye contact. The room was well equipped with hair dryer, safe, minibar and fridge. The bathroom was spacious and clean with plenty of good quality toiletries. Beds were very comfortable with quality linens. A turn down service was offered in the evening. Breakfast was buffet style with friendly waiters in attendance. All in all a first class experience. Loved it and would go back to this wonderful place in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Pay the extra just for the experience.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We always like to upgrade our guests where possible to add to their experience; I am very pleased to see that you were given the opportunity to enjoy one of our beautiful suites and that the standard was the high level at which we pride ourselves.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards

Laura Cooper
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My partner and I booked an overnight stay in the Scotsman two weeks ago, attracted by the fact it was a five star luxury boutique hotel. We were immediately disappointed when we arrived at the hotel - it really isn't a five star experience. The room was basic, a full size ironing board leaning against one wall - this wasn't what we expected. Stains on the hallway carpets, scuff marks on the walls, miles to get to the less than magnificent spa, really just a pool and jacuzzi, with sauna. The tropicarium was out of order. Large yellow 'wet surface' signs by the pool. Not elegant or understated. We were shown to a different bedroom after we fed back our initial dissatisfaction. The second bedroom was larger but in my experience still did not fulfil the standards of a five star hotel.

Having returned home I fed all of these thoughts back to the hotel and was told someone would come back to me within a few days. It has now been 2 weeks and I have heard nothing. A high level of customer care may have lessened somewhat the frustration and disappointment at what turned out to be a very disappointing stay - sadly this hasn't been the case.

If you are looking for understated luxury and comfort and real spa facilities, there are far better options in Edinburgh than the Scotsman, I am very sorry to say.

5 Thank Lindsey053
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I have now stayed twice at the Scotsman with my wife for an overnight trip to Edinburgh. Both occasions were in a deluxe room which was excellent in its accommodation and facilities. We also left luggage at the hotel in the morning and when we went back to use the room later the case had been delivered to the room as part of the service. We also dined in the brasserie on both occasions and across the range of dishes we had we were very impressed by the standard of food and service. All the staff we met in the hotel were first class.

Room Tip: Both times I have booked a deluxe room and had an excellent view across the city.
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have always wanted to stay in this historic and highly atmospheric hotel with stunning architecture and beautiful public areas although the reception lounge is tiny for such a grand hotel. We arrived early for our one night stay hoping to make the most of the wonderful city of Edinburgh. A real bugbear of mine is very expensive hotels charging a fortune for a late check in and an early check out rather than the other way around ,offering not even 24 hours for what you pay. However Anita checked us in and offered to phone us when our room was ready. She was helpful throughout and very welcoming. At least the check in is 2pm , an hour earlier than some rival hotels. I did manage to get in an hour early when I returned and was delighted to find we had been given an upgrade. Nick showed me to the room where the luggage had already been delivered and was friendly and helpful as was his colleague whose name I forget . Sorry. The room was a huge suite with a fabulous view of The Balmoral and part of Princes St. Very unexpected and most appreciated. The beds were super comfortable with soft pillows and duvets. There were two large sofas and a table to seat four outwith the bedroom area which had a glass partition. The bathroom was a good size with plentiful good quality toiletries. Why do so many hotels provide only shampoo and not conditioner ? I am sure most ladies would prefer that to shower gel or body lotion if they have to scrimp on one bottle. There was a standing shower but also a hand held shower mid bath should you wish to wash your hair without showering and a good hairdryer. T.V. was a bit problematic to operate and we had to call for help which brought immediate assistance. Free wifi was good but a little sporadic and I had to switch to my personal wifi once or twice. There was a very well stocked mini bar with the usual tea and coffee making facility. One thing I found odd was the inordinate amount of cupboard space throughout the suite ; cupboards everywhere you looked. and yet the only cupboard available to hang clothes was narrow and already half full with robes , slippers and an ironing board. We were pushed for space to hang clothes for one night. My guess is that at one time the sitting area and bedroom were two separate rooms. Although I like a t.v. in the bedroom it seemed a shame not to have it in the area with the sofas where one could relax and enjoy it. We were getting ready to go out when the maid rang for turndown service so we said no thanks only to have another girl ring five minutes later to offer the same service. We hadn't noticed the privacy button on the wall but then I had turned down the " room orientation " offered on arrival as I figured how difficult could it be to find your way around? Breakfast was lovely , served in the beautiful dining room. Very elegant. We felt a bit rushed because of the exceptionally early 11a.m. check out. If these check outs get any earlier they will be giving us wake up calls. I would definitely be looking for a good hotel next time offering a 1 p.m. check out without being asked for extra cash. however when we left Anita and the bellmen were friendly and asked about our stay. The Scotsman is definitely a grand old lady and I would love to go back. Shame I've gotten used to a suite. I don't want to go back to regular rooms now.

Room Tip: Pray for a suite with a view.
Hove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I normally judge a hotel on the following three criteria, in reverse order, location, accommodation and most importantly the staff. On all three criteria the Scotsman Hotel is superb. My daughter and I took a leisure break to Edinburgh for a few nights and tried the Scotsman hotel for a change.
The hotel is ideally located on North bridge just a two minute walk from Waverly station. (Train, Eastcoast mainline, is much better than plane for getting to Edinburgh) and a few minutes from Princess St and the Royal Mile.
On checking in we were upgraded to a publisher’s suite, which was excellent, large bedroom area, large seating area with an excellent bathroom. Good fluffy towels and nice beds. The room had a good TV with a surround system, important as my daughter is passionate about film and TV. The décor was excellent with many good pieces of artwork. The stylish decanter of whisky and glasses was a nice touch. The lobby area with its real fire and that smell of burning coal was great.

Having just returned from a trip to the UAE where I stayed in two excellent hotels with top rate customer service, I was impressed by the quality of customer service from everyone I dealt with at the hotel. It was great to see that in Scotland/UK we can give and exceed the levels of customer service, seen in other parts of the World. The meeting and greeting by Ivor the doorman was top notch, a real asset to the hotel. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful that we really felt valued. The check in and check out were excellent. We had a problem with the Internet and they tried everything to help us. They were also able to offer good advice on Edinburgh and checked if several things were open for us.
We had a meal in the restaurant and I was dithering between two items on the menu, the waiter was superb and asked me all the right questions and advised me on choice. I had the venison, haggis and tea infused grapes, followed by their cheesecake ice cream, which was one of the best meals I have tasted for a long time. Excellent advice from a young man who has excellent communication skills and was able to know what would make the customer happy.
The feeling I have from talking to the staff is that they feel empowered to be part of a Scotsman Hotel shared value, which makes you feel valued as a customer and at home.
I didn’t get a chance to visit the spa, but it looked really popular.
This is an excellent hotel, to which I will return to, thanks to an excellent staff.

Room Tip: Try the food and also visit the Cameo cinema. Walk this city, nothing is out of walking distance fro...