“Great hospitality!”

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Great hospitality!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

It was our first time in Scotland and Edinburgh. The hotel is extremely convenient to the train station without the noise. The concierges, especially Barry and Ivor were so hospitable. They couldn't do enough for us, which was very appreciated. They set the bar very high for all Scotsmen.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, customer service and administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. I will pass onto Ivor and Barry your kind words regarding them also.

I hope that you will return to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Laura cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

first and foremost the very friendly staff they were all so very helpful Nichil the bar man was very pleasant a credit to the company. the public rooms are really good lots of marble a very nice restaurant. I was a tad disappointed with our room and the bed for me was to hard so were the pillows the bathroom was very good lovely big towels and good amenities . Our meal at night was not so good we had the venison 3 very small pieces a bit of apple beetroot and some horrible green veg which I sent back I had steak after that also not very good poorly cooked.The restaurant manager apologized and asked what the problem was so she could speak to the chef and also gave us a free drink. However the breakfast was first class everything was good quality food and served well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay. I will personally pass on your kind words to Nik and i am glad you appreciate him as much as we do.

I am sorry to hear that your meal was not to your expectations and this had to be sent back. I am however glad that you were able to speak to one of our managers.

Kind regards

liverpool
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We had already booked a couple of nights in Scotland further north but we decided to spend an extra night in Edinburgh to start out visit to Scotland. I have stayed in many a 4&5 star hotel and not many have match the quality and friendliness of the staff I met here. Well done!

• Stayed March 2014
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer service and administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
Thank you once again and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here at the end of February on business and will surely visit again. The staff are so very pleasant and give you just the right amount of care and attention required.

There is nothing more annoying than going to a hotel where service is pretentious. The food in the restaurant and mini-bar are very reasonably priced. The hotel public areas are fantastic, the coolest thing in the room was the privacy cupboard which I found more like a vault! The bedroom furnishings and amenities were great. The only annoying this was the position of the TV being in an awkward position which means to cannot view the screen from your bed. The pro to this is wander around the city and you do not miss its beauty.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fon_World
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014

I am unaware of which room you were allocated so unfortunately i cannot comment regarding the television.

Thank you once again and we hope to have the chance to welcoming you back again.

Laura cooper
Dublin
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Dined with two others. All had Haggis and Nepps to start, it was haggis with a wrap of deep fried potato, didn't have any spice, bland for me.
Main of Sirloin which was very average though cooked well, very average fries.
It was fine but would not return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ArcfireSG
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We visited the Scotsman last Friday, it was booked up for my husbands Xmas present, a lot of money, but my husband is worth it, upon arriving we got escorted to our room, a directors room, must admit, room 801 , carpets very threadbare on stairs !! We was asked if we wanted to be shown around room, but we were so tired after flight,we couldn't be bothered, after getting up, I realised I felt unwell,, the first day we went shopping, the Friday night my husband got a burger I was unwell but he really enjoyed it, I had nothing, , but from then things seem to go downhill, the only thing I can praise is Ivor who was the doorman, he is the best thing about this hotel, Alex in the bar is truly a great bloke, my weekend was ruined by the heating not working in our room, breakfast wasn't fantastic, our last meal in restaurant was absolutely rubbish, thank god for Chloe, bless her, all I can say is we have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels, this was def not one, needs a

lot doing to it, must admit it's put me off ever coming back to Edinburgh

Room Tip: Breakfast, having the basics very boring, but having the other bits also turned up cold
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amh64
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We arrived at this hotel needing a place for 6 adults (2 parents and 4 adult children) to stay and from the minute we walked in the staff could not have been more helpful. We had told the staff our situation, whicu was that we were arranging a surprise for our parents who were arriving later that night and we wanted a really nice special treat for them. The concierge, Fraser, showed us round the hotel and a room before we confirmed our booking. He was so friendly and knowledgable and made us feel like special guests the whole way round. it was a fantastic first impression of the hotel.

The manager and the lady on reception ( who i am so sorry I cant remember their names) and checked us in are a credit to the hotel. They got us a wonderful deal with rooms on the same floor. We had a family room which consisted of 2 double sofa beds, a separate area with a king size bed and a large bathroom as well as a dining area. it was fantastic. For four adults (siblings) we were not "on top" of each other at all. it was brilliant. Our parents were in a large room under a turret on the 7th floor and the views and room were also fantastic. These were rooms 702 and 706. i recommend them although I am sure al the other rooms are just as good.

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. Every single member of staff we spoke to was so friendly, the hotel itself was lovely and in a fantastic position, the buffet breakfast was superb and the North Bridge restaurant in the evening was really lovely.

Yes there are some areas of the hotel that could be looked at, but really minor and it doesnt make any difference really. im talking a couple of loose door handles and some cracking paint round the windows, but this is nothing major and it actually adds to the character. I am not classing this as a fault in any shape or form.

I cant thank the staff, particularly the manager and the receptionist who checked us in, enough. it was a birthday my mother will never forget and that is priceless. Thank you.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms have fantastic views if you ask to look over princes st/north bridge, you can...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SJF441
I am so glad we have been able to add to such a special occasion for your Mother. i hope that you will return to stay with us and ask that you contact our reservations team direct who will be able to check availability for the best rates avaialble.

Once again thanks you.