“Amazing stay”

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just got home from the Scotsman and we want to go back already.

I had booked the hotel to treat my wife as it was her 30th Birthday and we where not dissappointed in the slightest.

I had called the hotel the day before because I hoped that I could drop of a birthday cake from Bibi's Bakery. Reception could not do enough and said they would make sure it was in the room on arrival and they would store it overnight.

When we arrived Barry came right out and took are bags to reception helped us get checked in. Now I had booked a standard room dinner bed and breakfast, when Barry took us to the lift however he said that we would be going to the 8th floor (top floor on the west side) then when we got to the room we could see that this was no standard room but the most beautiful suite livingroom down stairs bedroom upstairs. Barry then presented the cake (Knife and plates left out with the cake) to my wife and gave us a tour of our room. We had a good look around such an amazing room and then Barry arrived back to present us with champagne was so unexpected and so nice.

The Spa was very nice so peaceful we could really relax.

Dinner was also amazing never really having done fine dining before if felt like we were eating on Master chef food and service was amazing nothing was to much trouble we where both so full. Still managed some drinks in the bar My wife asked for something not on the cocktail menu however bar man said it wouldn't be a problem and they must have been nice as she had 3.

We decided to have breakfast in our room which was again amazing full scottish was to die for and my wifes waffles disappeared in minutes.

This hotel is by far the best we have stayed and although we live on the outskirts of Edinburgh I know we will be going back as the quaility of the staff and hotel really shines through. Every member of staff we passed would make sure we where ok and was there anything we needed the only other country we have experianced this is America. The Scotsman staff even out shined them could not have been happier choosing The Scotsman for such a special day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us, knowing how important time away with your loved ones is I was very pleased to see that we could make such a special occasion so special for you and your wife. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments with regards to all of our staff and in particular Barry I will personally pass these onto Barry as well as our Front of house manager. I was delighted to read that all of your requests were met and we were able to Upgrade you to our fabulous directors suites, which is personally one of my favourites.

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart prides himself on working with local Scottish suppliers to build an imaginative and modern menu that has a twist on many of your traditional Scottish favourites,

I hope that when you do return to visit us you will contact the hotel directly and we can offer you the best available rate.

Laura Cooper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed for short city-break in the hotel.
On the plus side, location, spa and quality of food in restaurant at night and in the morning.
On the negative side,this Tuesday 15/4/14 a very rude maitre de at breakfast, bossy, rude and clearly not interested in anyone but himself. The rooms are clean, but tired and the basics like adequate towels and robes were deficient.
If I was going for a special weekend to Edinburgh I go somewhere else.

2 Thank RjCorson
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I would like to apologise about the service that you received during your stay with us; we take a great pride in training our staff to the highest levels and it concerns me to hear that you were not treated to the 5 star services we normally offer.
I sorry to hear that you wouldn’t return for a special weekend to Edinburgh! I hope that you will change your mind and we can have the opportunity to show you the true Scotsman experience.

Kind regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Edinburgh for our anniversary. We stayed there for one night and the experience was great. The Scotsman is located right outside the Waverley rail station and between the Royal Mile and Princes street, so you can walk to most places like the Castle, Greyfriars graveyard, the Scott monument on Princes street etc.
The pool and hot tub located in the hotel spa were simply amazing as well as the eating areas - so majestic. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious and complementary ingredients for various drinks were provided. Very clean and tidy room, very nicely decorated with an amazing view above the station, Princes street and the beautiful Balmoral hotel. Even though it is next to the North Bridge it is very quiet. We were given the option to pre-order our breakfast the previous evening for the next morning and for an extra £5 our breakfast (which was included in the room price) was brought to our room.
It's an ideal hotel for couples whether it's for a special occasion or not. They make you feel really pampered. The location and price is great in my opinion. I would recommend it and the next time I visit Edinburgh I shall stay there again, I think.

1 Thank Christy9409
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
As you point out we are very privileged to occupy such a fantastic city centre location, being close to the historical centre, fabulous shopping and very easy access to the train station.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
I am glad that you will return to stay with us and ask that you contact the hotel directly where we can look after your booking directly and offer you the best available rate.

Laura cooper
Stbo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Beautiful room overlooking Princess Street, and would highly recommend the upgrade. Quirky Hotel with some lovely touches, excellent reception and check-in. On business and therefore only meal we had was breakfast. Slight confused message from buffet service to kitchen service. We had to laugh when we asked for toast and got hot bread!
Recommend for repeat visit

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BillyHamilton
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive review regarding your stay with us at The Scotsman. I am glad you had an enjoyable experience and I hope that we will be able to welcome you once again.

Kinghorn, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I enjoyed a spa day and lunch with my mother today at the Scotsman Hotel Edinburgh. Firstly, the location is excellent right next to the train station and the back entrance to the spa is even closer! When we arrived the staff seemed to be quite confused however once I explained they seemed to have found our booking. The reception area of the spa is lovely and welcoming and the changing facilities were very clean and were equipped with everything you would want. When arriving we were handed robes and slippers (nice touch) however I was a little disappointed as I was given a robe which was clearly too big for me and had belt holes missing. The spa area itself was excellent, lovely pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. In the spa an incident happened where my mother was alerted to call a member of staff, this staff member seemed very rude and not very helpful regarding the situation. When booking this voucher it was stated we would have a soft drink/smoothie in the spa area included in the price. However, no one approached us with this and it was later when returning home that we remembered about this or we would have approached a member of staff and requested them ourselves. Moving on to lunch, we had a 2 course lunch in the North Bridge Brasserie which was fabulous, we both really enjoyed the food and the attentive service. When it came to paying for the bill, the staff seemed confused and put our meals/drinks on the bill. However, I had already paid for the meal through the voucher. Again, they seemed to be confused through the use of the voucher. Overall, this is a wonderful spa and wonderful lunch but was ever so slightly let down by the confusion of the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman spa and North Bridge brasserie. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I am glad you enjoyed your spa day and lunch with us and I hope you left feeling rested and relaxed!

I am very disappointed to hear that the member of staff you approached In the spa was rude and not very helpful, please be assured our staff are trained to the highest levels and this is not the normal ‘scotsman welcome’

I hope that you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with my wife and daughter. We stayed in a suite which offered a king size bed and a bed settee for my daughter in addition to table chairs and a dressing table. The ensuite was a terrific size and the shower was always hot and good water pressure. Both my wife and I took advantage of the spa, my wife package included high tea for two but they managed to squeeze in a little girl at no extra cost. We were very pleased over all and would most definitely return

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
I am glad you were both able to take advantage of our spa, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful spa and gym including scotland’s first ever stainless steel swimming pool.

I am glad to hear you will return and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Newcastle upon Tyne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel markets itself as five star but it is far from this. Aside from a swimming pool and spa it is at best a three star and needs to take a long look at itself in its poor service and so so rooms.

We stayed here for one night with two other couples only returning yesterday after a great couple of days in the beautiful city of Edinburgh which was only slightly spoilt by the Scotsman Hotel.

On arrival at noon we were shown to our rooms passing some left out trays from room service outside other guests' rooms. These were still present many hours later making me wonder if anyone ever checks the corridors. Not a pleasant sight and small problem in the scheme of things but a sign of the things to come.

Out of our three double rooms, two rooms were only given one set of towels and one bathrobe. When I rang down for another set for our room I was told that a set would be sent up but after waiting half an hour I had to resort to using my wife's used, wet towel after a shower. When I mentioned this to the reception they said that they got the message and were going to send a set up later. How much later? Why could this not have been done when I contacted reception. I would have thought it would be obvious in the early evening that when someone rings for a towel set they are wanting it pretty soon! Once again this was irritating and a poor oversight and slightly unforgivable in view that two of the party's three double rooms were affected. Smacked of disinterest in the guest to me.

When we had booked the hotel we arranged for six massage sessions (one for each of us) and were told that we would get these at a 35% discount. After our massages in the spa we mentioned this discount and were told that it would be honoured. On check out this discount was missed off and it took for us to mention it once again. It was apparent that there is no communication between anyone in the hotel and no notes are made of conversations with guests potentially leading to misunderstandings and embarrassing situations. It is not nice to have to keep asking for a discount which we were told we were entitled to. At £80 full price, the massages would have been expensive! The massage quality appeared to be variable in quality from good to weak and poor so no quality control here.

The spa itself and the health club were extensive with a good choice of exercise machines and classes but this is where another issue arose. All six of us in the party wanted to do an advertised early morning yoga class at 7am (we are keen yogis) but were told that there was a chance that this might not be on and to phone up the next morning before 7am to check. A good quality hotel would have made it a point to check for us and made contact one way or the other to tell us the night before if this was going ahead rather than having us make the effort in the early morning to find out. We had been told that this was a busy class too and that there might not have been space. In reality the class did not materialise. Poor service yet again.

Breakfast was really very good and substantial and we could have a choice of buffet with full Scottish sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, cereal etc. we could also order off the menu and have eggs benedict, haggis, kippers etc. Very pleasant and tasty indeed. The big disappointment here though was the maitre d' who was extremely grizzly and unwelcoming. We arrived as a group in the morning and after waiting for a while to be shown to a table for six decided that as no one seemed to be in attendance we would push three free tables set for two together to make a larger group table. When the maitre d' finally arrived he looked haughty and unhappy and we mentioned to him that we had pushed the tables together and hoped that it was alright (as he looked miserable and irritated!). The reply of 'it will have to be now' followed by mutterings of 'it makes it very difficult in clearing the tables...'. Made us respond by saying we would push the tables back when we had finished which we duly did on completion. Why could the hotel not have a more pleasant front room member of staff with a 'can-do' attitude? We did notice that other guests were having to wait quite a while to be seated and the maitre d' never smiled once during breakfast and seemed aggressive towards his own staff shouting for the chef etc.

The rooms in the hotel seemed tired and could do with a makeover. Our room had no ventilation and we set our thermostat to the coolest setting as the weather was warm but this made no difference as the room was still stuffy and hot all night. When we tried to open the window in the night we realised that being an old building there were two sets and we were unable to open the outer window as it would have involved us literally climbing on the table and sitting on a wall to open the outer one! Poor ventilation meant a poor quality of sleep.

The bathroom seemed a bit more modern with nice White Company toiletries. The hot water took some time to come through but this is due to the age of the hotel and the plumbing I would wonder.

The hotel is very conveniently located in the central part of tourist Edinburgh and close to Waverley Station. I would possibly have given only a one star rating for the lack of service, inefficiency of the hotel and lack of attention to detail, but I give it a two star rating as the breakfast deserves an extra star.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.