“Lovely hotel”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #83 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm a bit of a 5-star hotel snob and after reading some reviews was a little nervous about staying here. However, I loved this hotel.

It's lovely and cosy - exactly what you need when you have been walking around Edinburgh on a drizzly Spring day! The location is fantastic.

We found the staff were very very attentive and helpful.

The hotel does feel lived-in, but I felt in a really lovely way. It has a slight 'country house' feel even though it's in the heart of the city. It is very clean and well equipped with lovely toiletries, tea/ coffee, minibar, etc.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did use the spa facilities. There are amazing fitness facilities, which we didn't use, but the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were lovely. The only issues I had were that we found it really difficult to find our way to the spa (although it was nice to explore the hotel on the way). Also, the spa itself is quite cold - it might be to do with it being in the basement area or the stainless steel pool. If you can, take slippers and a robe from your room because as a guest, you will only receive a towel. I sat and read on the loungers and it was rather nippy"

All that said, I would most definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
I am glad you were able to take advantage and relax at our pool area, we are very lucky being a city centre hotel to have such wonderful Spa and leisure facilities, perfect way to end a busy day walking around Edinburgh!

Once again thank you for your kind review and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Scotsman Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just got home from the Scotsman and we want to go back already.

I had booked the hotel to treat my wife as it was her 30th Birthday and we where not dissappointed in the slightest.

I had called the hotel the day before because I hoped that I could drop of a birthday cake from Bibi's Bakery. Reception could not do enough and said they would make sure it was in the room on arrival and they would store it overnight.

When we arrived Barry came right out and took are bags to reception helped us get checked in. Now I had booked a standard room dinner bed and breakfast, when Barry took us to the lift however he said that we would be going to the 8th floor (top floor on the west side) then when we got to the room we could see that this was no standard room but the most beautiful suite livingroom down stairs bedroom upstairs. Barry then presented the cake (Knife and plates left out with the cake) to my wife and gave us a tour of our room. We had a good look around such an amazing room and then Barry arrived back to present us with champagne was so unexpected and so nice.

The Spa was very nice so peaceful we could really relax.

Dinner was also amazing never really having done fine dining before if felt like we were eating on Master chef food and service was amazing nothing was to much trouble we where both so full. Still managed some drinks in the bar My wife asked for something not on the cocktail menu however bar man said it wouldn't be a problem and they must have been nice as she had 3.

We decided to have breakfast in our room which was again amazing full scottish was to die for and my wifes waffles disappeared in minutes.

This hotel is by far the best we have stayed and although we live on the outskirts of Edinburgh I know we will be going back as the quaility of the staff and hotel really shines through. Every member of staff we passed would make sure we where ok and was there anything we needed the only other country we have experianced this is America. The Scotsman staff even out shined them could not have been happier choosing The Scotsman for such a special day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review regarding your recent stay with us, knowing how important time away with your loved ones is I was very pleased to see that we could make such a special occasion so special for you and your wife. We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments with regards to all of our staff and in particular Barry I will personally pass these onto Barry as well as our Front of house manager. I was delighted to read that all of your requests were met and we were able to Upgrade you to our fabulous directors suites, which is personally one of my favourites.

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart prides himself on working with local Scottish suppliers to build an imaginative and modern menu that has a twist on many of your traditional Scottish favourites,

I hope that when you do return to visit us you will contact the hotel directly and we can offer you the best available rate.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed for short city-break in the hotel.
On the plus side, location, spa and quality of food in restaurant at night and in the morning.
On the negative side,this Tuesday 15/4/14 a very rude maitre de at breakfast, bossy, rude and clearly not interested in anyone but himself. The rooms are clean, but tired and the basics like adequate towels and robes were deficient.
If I was going for a special weekend to Edinburgh I go somewhere else.

2  Thank RjCorson
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I would like to apologise about the service that you received during your stay with us; we take a great pride in training our staff to the highest levels and it concerns me to hear that you were not treated to the 5 star services we normally offer.
I sorry to hear that you wouldn’t return for a special weekend to Edinburgh! I hope that you will change your mind and we can have the opportunity to show you the true Scotsman experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Edinburgh for our anniversary. We stayed there for one night and the experience was great. The Scotsman is located right outside the Waverley rail station and between the Royal Mile and Princes street, so you can walk to most places like the Castle, Greyfriars graveyard, the Scott monument on Princes street etc.
The pool and hot tub located in the hotel spa were simply amazing as well as the eating areas - so majestic. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious and complementary ingredients for various drinks were provided. Very clean and tidy room, very nicely decorated with an amazing view above the station, Princes street and the beautiful Balmoral hotel. Even though it is next to the North Bridge it is very quiet. We were given the option to pre-order our breakfast the previous evening for the next morning and for an extra £5 our breakfast (which was included in the room price) was brought to our room.
It's an ideal hotel for couples whether it's for a special occasion or not. They make you feel really pampered. The location and price is great in my opinion. I would recommend it and the next time I visit Edinburgh I shall stay there again, I think.

1  Thank Christy9409

As you point out we are very privileged to occupy such a fantastic city centre location, being close to the historical centre, fabulous shopping and very easy access to the train station.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
I am glad that you will return to stay with us and ask that you contact the hotel directly where we can look after your booking directly and offer you the best available rate.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Beautiful room overlooking Princess Street, and would highly recommend the upgrade. Quirky Hotel with some lovely touches, excellent reception and check-in. On business and therefore only meal we had was breakfast. Slight confused message from buffet service to kitchen service. We had to laugh when we asked for toast and got hot bread!
Recommend for repeat visit

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BillyHamilton

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive review regarding your stay with us at The Scotsman. I am glad you had an enjoyable experience and I hope that we will be able to welcome you once again.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I enjoyed a spa day and lunch with my mother today at the Scotsman Hotel Edinburgh. Firstly, the location is excellent right next to the train station and the back entrance to the spa is even closer! When we arrived the staff seemed to be quite confused however once I explained they seemed to have found our booking. The reception area of the spa is lovely and welcoming and the changing facilities were very clean and were equipped with everything you would want. When arriving we were handed robes and slippers (nice touch) however I was a little disappointed as I was given a robe which was clearly too big for me and had belt holes missing. The spa area itself was excellent, lovely pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. In the spa an incident happened where my mother was alerted to call a member of staff, this staff member seemed very rude and not very helpful regarding the situation. When booking this voucher it was stated we would have a soft drink/smoothie in the spa area included in the price. However, no one approached us with this and it was later when returning home that we remembered about this or we would have approached a member of staff and requested them ourselves. Moving on to lunch, we had a 2 course lunch in the North Bridge Brasserie which was fabulous, we both really enjoyed the food and the attentive service. When it came to paying for the bill, the staff seemed confused and put our meals/drinks on the bill. However, I had already paid for the meal through the voucher. Again, they seemed to be confused through the use of the voucher. Overall, this is a wonderful spa and wonderful lunch but was ever so slightly let down by the confusion of the staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman spa and North Bridge brasserie. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I am glad you enjoyed your spa day and lunch with us and I hope you left feeling rested and relaxed!

I am very disappointed to hear that the member of staff you approached In the spa was rude and not very helpful, please be assured our staff are trained to the highest levels and this is not the normal ‘scotsman welcome’

I hope that you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights with my wife and daughter. We stayed in a suite which offered a king size bed and a bed settee for my daughter in addition to table chairs and a dressing table. The ensuite was a terrific size and the shower was always hot and good water pressure. Both my wife and I took advantage of the spa, my wife package included high tea for two but they managed to squeeze in a little girl at no extra cost. We were very pleased over all and would most definitely return

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

I am glad you were both able to take advantage of our spa, we are very lucky to have such a wonderful spa and gym including scotland’s first ever stainless steel swimming pool.

I am glad to hear you will return and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.