“Definitely not 5 Star”

Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Ascot, United Kingdom
“Definitely not 5 Star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

The hotel website describes this hotel as "The Scotsman - your 5 star luxury boutique hotel in Edinburgh". With this proclamation I had anticipated a luxury weekend away, and was to be bitterly disappointed. On entering the main door the porter watched me carry my suitcase and at no time attempted to help me. I was shown into my very small and very warm room. After enquiring about the air conditioning I was told there was none. Even after turning off the radiators in my room, it was still unbearably warm, to such an extent I had to open the double windows which was not an easy task (The window was easily 6 foot wide and if not twice as high). So now as well as having a hot room, I now had a cold breeze blowing through (from which I subsequently got a cold). The member of staff who showed me to my room was very excited about showing me the facility whereby your room service can be delivered without you having to answer the door. Upon opening the "shoot" I was shocked to discover that the last guest's tray with dirty plates had not been removed. I decided to order room service. I couldn't find the room service menu and had to wait at least 15/20 mins for this to arrive to my room and then I was told the room service menu after 10.30pm is different to the daytime room service menu. I had now missed the 10.30pm deadline with all the fussing. The night time room service menu was limited and so I asked if it would be possible for the chef to perhaps make a burger for me. I was told that after 10.30pm there is no chef on duty all food after this time is reheated food (and for some reason would take 40 mins to prepare). This is certainly not what I expected in a five star hotel. I then read the hotel service book and realised that there was a brasserie which the book said was open until 1.30am. Upon enquiry I was told that this was incorrect but the book hadn't been updated. I then asked if there was a takeaway service in the area I could order from, this seemed to baffle the reception staff who didn't know of anywhere. I then had to revert back to plan A and order room service, which was a pizza with congealed cheese on top and chips. The chips didn't even arrive with tomato sauce. This is a far cry from what the hotel website boasts "The only thing you'll hear in your room these days is the sound of your heart skipping a beat as you lift the lid on an indulgent midnight snack". My shower dripped incessantly which I could hear with the bathroom door closed and after complaining I was told someone would fix it the next morning. No one fixed it and upon enquiring I was told it was passed on to someone who needed a special part. At no time did anyone voluntarily give me this information. I think perhaps they thought that I the paying guest may just overlook this. The next morning I arrived at reception, and asked for a tourist map of the city. Again, this seemed to cause confusion and I thought I must have been the first person to have asked for this! Eventually a map was found hidden in a drawer. I would have thought that a hotel used by tourists would have such resources on display? That afternoon after meeting friends we had a snack and drink in the hotel brasserie. Service was poor and extremely slow. This was just something else to add to the list of complaints. I agree with the previous review saying that the soap dispensers in the bathroom did not all work and that the room was very poorly lit. The reception staff did not seem trained as to how to deal with problems and appeared to have pre-scripted answers to everything. I requested the manager call me the following morning at 10am. Again this got lost in translation and I had to call the manager. At first I got a frosty response but after saying that I would be reviewing the hotel on trip advisor her response changed somewhat. My room service charge was removed from my bill. This week I received an apology letter from the hotel and they offered me a complimentary one night stay at the hotel! I think they really missed the point-after such a disappointing stay, would I really put myself through all that again?

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Owl's Head, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

The Scotsman is a stone Victorian building, previously the headquarters of the Scotsman newspaper. We arrived by airport bus and walked to the hotel on that level. The door was unattended, we were buzzed in and then had to take an elevator to the 4th floor to reception. The official front door was at the 4th floor level just over Northbridge, set back and offering no rain protection.
We had two different rooms on two different dates, the first at street level, the second lower down,offering a very roomy living room, but overloooking a pub which seemed open and loud all night long. This was only bearable because of the thick walls and double windows.
Both rooms were dark and gloomy. Reading lights over the bed were dim at best. The staff was pleasant, but generally service seemed erratic. One room had pillows which were worn out and a bit smelly. The other room had an ironing board and no iron. Soap, shampoo, etc., were all doled out by dispensers--some of which did not work.
The plus for the hotel is its good location for walks in town. We would probably not return.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dark rooms, catacomb-like layout
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank efghij
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

I was a bit unsure about booking this hotel as I had read some poor reviews here, but as we generally like this small chain of hotels, and thought the American friends we were taking there would like the look of the place, we thought we'd give it a try. We were very impressed. Maybe they've done some staff training because the service from reception to Stephen the porter was really excellent - friendly, warm and genuine. The rooms were very nice. Our friends booked a penthouse and that was really lovely and our own smaller deluxe room was excellent. The building is lovely and very, very well located. I highly recommend it, above all because the service throughout was well-placed and attentive without being fussy.

PS If youa re coming from Waverley train station, there is a minor exit at the back of the station - not to princes street or bridges exits - that comes out opposite the side door to the hotel where you can take a lift up to reception. Less than five minutes walk from platform to the hotel and no stairs to take on this route.

• Liked — The relaxed and attentive service
  • Disliked — The coffee at breakfast - very weak.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Gloucester, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Scotsman for one night (our first night) on our belated honeymoon trip to Scotland.

The check in staff was very friendly and helpful. When they told us we had been upgraded to the penthosue suite we were even more impressed.

Our room was huge, clean and well-appointed. We had nice views of the city. Our room was on 2 floors and consisted of a bedroom, huge closet, dining area, sitting room, balcony, dressing room, 2 toliets (one on each level), a bidet, a shower, a tub and a sauna! We did manage to get lost a few times.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and it was excellent.

The hotel is in a great location - right off the Royal Mile, about 1/2 way between Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle.

• Liked — Our beautiful room
  • Disliked — Nothing
1 Thank teryn
Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

Hotel not 5 star standard.
On check in at 2.00pm told room not ready. Reception no idea as to when it would be ready, eventually it was available at around 4.00pm. This was to be recurring as during our three night stay the room was never cleaned until 4.00pm daily. The restaurant Vermillion is now closed so no fine dining for residents. The bar service is limited, slow and slapdash - was left with the feeling the staff were doing the customer a favour by serving them. This is not a 5 star hotel by any standard that I am accustomed to, either in UK or abroad.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
1 Thank DavidHe
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2008

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Scotland that included Glasgow and Edinburgh. Our last night in Scotland was at The Scotsman and it was a wonderful end to a wonderful trip ! I just wish we could have stayed longer to be able to enjoy this terrific hotel. It was recommended to me by my Scottish friend who said she heard great things about it but hasn't stayed there herself.
I don't think I could say enough about how happy we were with this recommendation !
From the minute we walked in the staff was incredible. The check in was a breeze. Everyone was extremely helpful and accomodating. When we got to our room we almost didn't want to leave to enjoy the city because our room was absolutely gorgeous.
Another great thing about The Scotsman is the convenience. Its nestled right in between Prince's Street and the Royal Mile as well as conveniently located next to the Waverly train station. There literally couldn't be a better location than that !

Do yourself a favor ... if you're planning a trip to Edinburgh then this hotel is absolutely the place you should stay ! !

• Liked — The service, the room and the location
  • Disliked — The room was so nice that I never wanted to leave ! ! !
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SDBarber
Turriff, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

We booked into stay at the Scotsman in Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo. On arrival outside the hotel, we discovered the one big problem with this hotel - the parking, or lack of it! My partner dropped me at the door with our luggage while the porter gave him directions to the car park (which wasnt that close or secure!). We had paid quite a lot for our accommodation and as first impressions go it wasnt great!

The hotel lobby and public areas have great character and are very impressive, our room however wasnt as impressive. The room we had was very small and our window looked into various other rooms windows! The bathroom was nice although the stained yellow bath was slightly concerning!

On the plus side the breakfast was really nice & we had John Cleese eating at the table next to us (I was left asking myself if he had the same problems parking his car??)

• Liked — Central Location for shopping!
  • Disliked — No parking!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)