“some amazing rooms”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #73 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is a restoration of former offices of the Scotsman newspaper and is about as different from a chain hotel as you can get. It was my 60th birthday and they gave us a fantastic room on almost the top floor. The room was not huge but had an alcove up some stairs that led to a tower with four windows that gave a 180 degree view over Edinburgh . Just stunning. The bathroom was huge. Unfortunately we had to leave early so could not try the breakfast. The location is as good as you can get in Edinburgh. Only 2 minutes to the train station and 2 minutes to the Royal Mile. Nice Scottish gent will escort you and your bags to the room however we were disappointed by the eastern European receptionist who asked a scot if this was his first time in Scotland. Talk about robot questions.

Room Tip: Pay extra to ensure you get a city view, some have back views
2  Thank scotaussie
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to relay this positive feedback regarding your recent visit to the hotel. We are very privileged to be in such a central location in a beautiful city and I am glad you got to enjoy such an excellent view. As you stated our hotel is situated in the former Scotsman newspaper offices which adds to our uniqueness and charm.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Kindest regards,
Laura Cooper

Write a ReviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked the hotels best room and on check in was told that the room was damaged by fire and they they had given us a room that was better (Not true) and a free bottle of champagne (turned out to be prosecco). They also said they gave us a discount on the room (also not true). This was obviously very disappointing and handled really badly and frankly spoiled our trip. Eventually after getting home the hotel GM gave us the room for free and sent my girlfriend some flowers.However, it wasn't about the money i would rather have paid the full price and got the room I wanted. Putting all that to one side, as one bad experience shouldn't cloud your judgement, we thought the hotel rooms were very good and the hotel itself was fairly quirky and interesting.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulandRachel1

Thank you very much for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. Further to the correspondence you had with the hotel after your stay we are now concerned that we have not met your expectations, we were on the understanding that due to the reallocation of the room you were very happy with your stay. We would very much urge that if you would like to discuss this matter in greater detail please do contact the hotel on 0131 5565565.

Many thanks once again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Just finishing a stay in one of the publisher suits of this amazing hotel. The staff can't do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble.
Housekeeping do a fantastic job twice a day in the room and nothing is to fault. Only little nag would be confusion at breakfast with my grandmother ending up with 4 fried eggs, only to be apologised to by a member of staff as the girl who served us is new. Will definitely return!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CrookseyGY
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We enjoyed a lovely spa day at the Scotsman Hotel.
The day involved access to the spa area and lunch in the restaurant.
The lunch was delicious and beautifully presented with a great choice and the staff in the dining room were friendly and attentive. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.
The spa was a bit disappointing as it was very dark and a bit chilly. The pool was stainless steel which I thought was a bit disconcerting and with the black walls a bit creepy really. Towels and robes were provided and cheery staff were very helpful. A lovely day but might not return to the spa as the industrial feel is not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your visit for a spa day with lunch.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit, although you enjoyed lunch I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy the spa side of the day.
I hope that you will choose to return to the Scotsman to dine with us once again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having stayed at the other popular 5 star hotel opposite The Scotsman, I had a check list of what a 5 star hotel should be. Excellent customer services, spotless rooms, full of those special touches you expect when paying 5 star prices. The excellent customer service was there in the form of the concierge who took our bags up on the Saturday, he gave us great cocktail bar recommendations, and Ivor on our check out gave us a fantastic breakfast recommendation, their knowledge of the city was superb. Spotless rooms: well the bedside table was broken, the lampshade wonky, there was a stain which was a browny/red colour on the very expensive looking curtains (I left all this on the comment card) and also our double room was made up for one person, one pillow on the double bed (although even if I was sleeping alone, I would have wanted 2 on a double, and it took them quite a while to send another up, and it was as flat as a pancake!), one shortbread with the tea and coffee, one glass in the bathroom and on the bedside table. Bizarre! As for the special touches you get with a 5star and what they stipulate you get with the standard room, wasn't quite there. There was no scotsman monopoly board, no ask at reception if we would have liked a newspaper in the morning, we had one bottle of still water served in a sparkling bottle (now we all know you fill it up with tap water, but it's a bit rude to not even pretend by serving it from the right bottle) and this wasn't replenished in the turndown service as expected, which by the way is way better at The Balmoral they must have literally came in and turned the top blanket over and walked out. There was no umbrella in our room, so we had to ask for one in reception, who by the way handed us 2 blatantly broken ones before she hit jackpot with a third. So the above is why they are only getting 4 stars I'm afraid. The room had a lovely view, we were right over the front of reception, was very quiet and location is fantastic for exploring the city. Spa was REALLY DARK, but the stainless steal swimming pool was great, not sure what kind of industrial theme they are going for but didn't find the extractor fan things positioned between each lounger very appealing, it doesn't make you feel relaxed. Would I stay there again, no, am I glad I experienced it, yes, it was on my list of hotels to stay in Edinburgh, am I glad I didn't pay Rack Rate, most certainly.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better the views
3  Thank 186394Jo_Jo

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your stay at the Scotsman.
We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness. I will pass your kind words onto Ivor!

With regards to the comments about your room, I have noted all of these and I will pass onto our head housekeeper to investigate. We do appreciated any form of feedback that our guests feel will help us to improve in all areas of service.

I hope that you will change your mind and return to stay at some point in the future.

Laura cooper

Reviewed 8 July 2014

A friend of ours booked us a night stay in The Scotsman Hotel as a wedding gift and we decided to take a trip up there for my 30th birthday this weekend gone. I was aware of the price and was expecting great things, however, we were immediately let down by the parking and the concierge's description of how to get there.

I was escorted to the hotel with my bags while my husband tried to fathom where to go for parking from the instructions that the concierge had left him with. Once inside I was asked to check in, to which I replied "I'd like to wait for my husband, if that's okay?". So I sat in reception and waited and waited - eventually giving my husband a call to find out where he was. He eventually arrived in reception (not in the best of moods) almost 50 minutes after he left, no thanks to the concierge and his directions (although he was polite and friendly enough, just not very helpful).

We were however, greeted by very polite helpful staff who showed us to our room and also helped us to chose a restaurant to dine at later that evening and even made the booking for us (as the one we had wanted to visit was fully booked). Once in our room we had just enough time to take a shower, unpack and get ready to go for said meal, not leaving us much time to look at our room.

After a lovely meal outside of the hotel and a few drinks at a bar, we gladly adjourned to our room. We got undressed, turned out the lights and climbed into bed... only to find that it was a 3 quarter bed!!! My husband is 6'4" and his legs, from the middle of the calve down, were dangling off the bottom of the bed. There was no room to move at all. Feeling quite jaded and stale, neither of us fancied getting dressed again and going down to reception and complain, so our night was restless and we both woke in the morning with more than just sore heads.

We did tell the receptionist this at check out - to which she said that a note would be made by our names should we make any future bookings with them, ensuring this did not happen again.

What I can't understand is why a 5* hotel has a 3 quarter bed in any of it's rooms in the first place; the room size was more than adequate to fit even a super king! I've actually slept in better beds in a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge... so I don't think we'll be returning.

As a footnote (almost like rubbing salt in the wound); upon check in they took a £50 charge from my card, just in case you use anything from the mini bar - which we did not. When checking out, we were told the money would be refunded and I assumed that would mean immediately... not three whole days later!

Room Tip: Make sure you know where you're going for parking. Always check that the bed and bedding is suf...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jenloubro

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Scotsman.

Our concierge are always up to date of roadwork’s in Edinburgh so they will then be aware of which routes are best to reach the car park. I am sorry to hear it seems we have failed with this. I do apologies.
Part of our terms and conditions are we take a £50.00 per authorise per night for any incidentals or extras from the mini bar. If this is taken on a debit card we unfortunately cannot pre authorise this so it is necessary to take a charge from the card, this is always explained by reception before a charge will be taken. Any refund taken does always have a 3-5 day wait. I am sorry if you felt this was not clearly explained to you.

I hope that you may choose to return to stay with us.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed there for the 2nd time, hotel ideally located for all centre attractions. rooms are well furnished and comfortable. helpful staff. Stylish old building with lots of atmosphere. certainly recommendable.

Room Tip: I asked for a roo m with a view and certainly got that. ask for a room with view ov er the Balmoral...
1  Thank michel b
Management response:Responded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
Its lovely to hear when this is a return visit and I hope we can welcome you on many more occasions.

Laura cooper