“Excellent service, food, pool, everything”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #73 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for four nights in July and had a fantastic time, and excellent service. I'd like to thank Gillian, Ivor, and Barry in particular for their help and attention (and advice on the best Indian place nearby). We stayed in room 304, and I want to thank Gillian for getting us in there (I had messed up our reservation and picked the wrong sized bed--thank you, Gillian!). The breakfast buffet is very extensive, and the dinner we had there one night was great. We also loved the pool--it's huge and very coolly lit. Ivor was very helpful in general and a truly charming man. We hope to come back on our next trip to Edinburgh. Oh, and the showers are amazing!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, Customer Service and Administration Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments with regards to all of our staff and in particular Gillian, Ivor and Barry I have already personally passed these on to both of them as well as our operations manager. I was delighted to read that Gillian was able to accommodate your request of bed size.

Ionce you have a suitable time to come back to Edinburgh and The Scotsman please contact the hotel directly where we will be able to give you the best available rate and offers.

Laura Cooper

Write a ReviewReviews (2,593)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

1) If you have problems walking this hotel is not for you, NO PARKING ON SITE only parking is 10 to 15 minutes away in Waverley Station uphill walk to the hotel, the hotel offer a discount on the parking but still expect to pay £ 15 for 12 hours. rip off

2) Reception was a desk at the back of the restaurant with loose marble floor tiles, we were offered a glass of white wine which had been standing behind the reception desk for goodness known how long as a sweetener to having to wait to book in due to each guest having to be escorted to the room for opening

3) The electronic door openings were not working and every time you needed to get into your room you needed staff to take you and open the room that was however fixed in the wee hours of the morning .

4) Breakfast was a joke the staff got everything wrong that we ordered, from the cooked breakfast wrong items on the plate to the white toast being brown and 2 coffees been supplied as 2 teas, maybe they cannot understand what they write down when the order is taken, It became pointless to complain as no one appeared interested.

5) We intended to have a meal in the restaurant on the night we arrived but the sparse menu was not to our liking, with only one food area we opted to get room service which was slightly better but nothing to write about. Unfortunately it was late when we arrived to source a local restaurant when we checked all the best were fully booked.

6) Will not be back overpriced under performed and lacks any leadership.

Room Tip: IF YOU DECIDE TO STAY Ask for a room with a view over looking Edinburgh Waverley Station, other wise...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jeff T

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments, I would like to firstly apologies as well as respond to the points you have made.

Although we don’t provide a car park at the hotel; our guests receive a discounted rate at the local public car park which is only a 5 minute walk away from the Scotsman. I’m sorry that this was a disappointment to you; as one of the traditional Victorian buildings in the middle of the city centre we are unable to accommodate our own car park and for this reason have never advertised this service.

We have designed our reception area to be as welcoming as possible; by having a “Concierge” style check-in. I am rather confused by your comment of ‘Reception was a desk at the back of the restaurant’. The hotel does have a large main entrance which brings you straight into our large reception area. Each of our guests are offered concierge assistance to their room, this is to assist with bags and to answer any questions regarding the rooms. I am sorry you feel this is unacceptable, as a five star hotel we find this a personal touch.
I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding breakfast I will ensure your comments are passed onto our brasserie manager.

Once again thank you for taking the time to record your comments I am sorry you felt your stay was disappointing.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were a party of 6, taking my mother in law out for her birthday. I was disappointed to be taken to a room at the back of the hotel, and would have preferred to be seated in the brasserie at the front. Portions were generous, and we were invited to try several different teas. Service was fine, although I didn't need the sandwiches explained to me again when they arrived at the table; I had already read the contents on the menu and was desperate to start eating! I would go again, but ask to be seated in the brasserie.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Penguinz

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your afternoon tea here at the Scotsman hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed to be seated in our drawing room, I am pleased however that you did indeed enjoy your afternoon tea and will return.

Please contact myself directly and I will be happy to take care of your booking and ensure you are given a table in the brasserie.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Fantastic central location!
Ivor the porter and his tartan trousers will stay with me forever lovely attentive guy, breakfast choice was great including continental, Scottish or even eggs Benedict, the room was huge with rooftop views of the royal mike, comfortable and homely, we took advantage of the pool, steam room and jacuzzi one evening and it was soooo peaceful and quiet. If we visit Edinburgh again I will defiantly be staying here again. My only gripe was the room wasn't ready upon check in and that's a pet hate of mine!

And the free white company mini toiletries were a nice luxury touch.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review regarding your stay with us here at the Scotsman. We are very proud that each of our stay knows the importance of making our guests feel welcome and I will personally pass your comments onto Ivor !

I am sorry that your room was not ready on arrival this is very unusual please accept my apologies.

I am glad you will defiantly return to stay with us, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have always wanted to stay at The Scotsman - now I'm not sure why. The hallways and carpets were shabby, room was ordinary and fitted with badly-made built-ins. You would think that a luxury hotel would merit a step up from instant coffee in the room - not so. I must say that the bed was comfortable; view of the city spectacular; ability to open windows much appreciated and location great however, service generally was wanting. We lost all lights in the bathroom late at night and given our jet lag, decided to let it go until morning. Showering in the dark has its inconveniences but we received not so much as an apology from the front desk when we reported the issue during checkout. After a highly-priced breakfast, we left our bags in the room and went to pick up a rental car nearby. When we returned to our room within the hour, we were reprimanded by the housekeeper - we had to move our bags as the room needed to be made on a priority basis for incoming guests. Really? Hard to believe they were worried about re-renting the room when the lights still didn't work, according to the electrician who was there, as well. Edinburgh Festival aside, the Scotsman needs to recognize that guests expect a flawless experience at those prices. Unfortunately, we found it all to be average at best.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne D
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was one of the most interesting hotels I've stayed in. We had booked an Editor's room and our room was a 2 story loft. It also had 1.5 baths which was nice with a seperate sitting area with TV on the main floor and the bed and full bath upstairs with another small sitting area. The bathrooms were both really nice, but the carpet could use replacing in the bedroom. The bed was pretty comfy and everything was clean. I wasn't ready for no air conditioning, but all the windows opened up so between that and a fan, we were comfortable. We were there in early July and it was pretty warm during the day but the evenings cooled down. We only ate breakfast one morning at the hotel and it was just okay. The location of this hotel is fantastic! We only had to walk out of the hotel and up the block and we were at the Royal Mile. Walking the other direction a few blocks was a nice park. We were surrounded by everything you need to enjoy the city. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again for a return visit. The concierge was very helpful with getting us reservations for dinner and suggesting places to eat and drink too which is always nice. They have a spa downstairs but we never visited.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was excellent, with a great view over Princes Street, and the Balmoral Hotel. The bed was so soft and comfortable, its how I imagined it would feel if you could lie on a cloud. All the food we had was just amazing. The staff were the best. I said to my husband that I wished we could have stayed there forever. We also tried out a couple of the Spa treatments. We both had massages which were bliss, and I also had reflexology on my feet, and the woman really knew her stuff.
We can't recommend this hotel high enough, and I will definitely be staying there again.

2  Thank Hezdez