“slipping.....”

Ranked #88 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
boston
“slipping.....”
Reviewed 25 November 2008

having stayed at the scotsman only days after it's initial opening and on numerous trips to Edniburgh since, I am sorry to report that this fine hotel is losing its edge. gone are the traditional tweeds for the staff and replaced by black shirts and suits or vests and red ties...
kinda like a cheesy sopranos look if you ask me. desk staff have also lost their way regarding accomodating hospitality. snippy young aussie checked me in with no regard for how many times in the past I have chosen to spend hundreds and hundreds of business dollars/pounds with them. the place is starting to look run down with fraying rugs, chipped paint on corners of doorways, etc. come on, guys, get back to work and earn the 5-stars again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank newlan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 18 November 2008

A very nice hotel in a great central location. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was small but clean, and we had a view of the city. Would definitely stay there again.

In your back garden
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I think it's a couple of years since I last stayed here, but I thought it worth posting another review after an enjoyable stay when it seemed that standards were as high as on my previous visit; I think this is not always easy when hotels are exposed to heavy usage. It must take a lot of effort to keep on top of all the wear and tear after the intial excitement of opening.

Well, the Scotsman still looks good. The room was clean and in excellent order, and the unusual touches that intrigued me on previous stays did so once more.

This is not a standard chain hotel and if you are looking for that consistency / blandness then you had better look elsewhere.

Of Edinburgh's better hotels that I've stayed in (Caledonian, Sheraton), this would probably be the one I'd choose if I came back for a weekend away with my girlfriend.

What you get is: a more interesting room, reasonably priced room service, lots of choice in the minibar, a nice bathroom and really good toiletries (albeit fixed to the wall so you cannot continue enjoying them at home).

I might look at others if I had come for work, but only as I need to be in the West End and it is a little further to walk.

Beyond that the only disadvantage I noticed is the age and curious construction of the place, which tends to make it rather dark. This is by no means a problem in the bedroom in the evening but I'm not such a fan of the bright artificial lighting when you go for breakfast.

Fair price to pay for a room: £120-180 for a standard double without breakfast

• Liked — Character and style, very handy for Waverley (check in before your train's even pulled away)
  • Disliked — Artificially-lit breakfast room in bowels of building
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Mid Calder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2008

We stayed in one of the "editor" rooms which had a separate secluded double ended bath (in the turret at the front of the building) as well as a bathroom with multi spray shower cubicle both of which had a selection of big bottles of lovely toiletries.
The room was quiet, spotless and very well equiped with plenty of cupboard space,comfy couch, selection of up to date reading material and games, wall mounted tv and speakers in the bathroom.
We were delighted to find champagne on ice and a card awaiting us in our room as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary - a lovely touch which helped make the occasion feel even more special.
Tables at breakfast were well spaced out and there was a great selection of food on offer which was of a very good quality - superb, really fresh, fruit.
All of the staff were professional while being very friendly and approachable.
Absolutely no problems or complaints -only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Liked — Speakers in the bathroom !
  • Disliked — Leaving.
2 Thank mytripUK
Carlow,
Reviewed 5 November 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and neither the hotel or the staff could be faulted, it was top class all the way. Room was beautiful, staff were friendly and the location was perfect. Cannot wait go back again !

Stayed October 2008
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2008

The hotel website describes this hotel as "The Scotsman - your 5 star luxury boutique hotel in Edinburgh". With this proclamation I had anticipated a luxury weekend away, and was to be bitterly disappointed. On entering the main door the porter watched me carry my suitcase and at no time attempted to help me. I was shown into my very small and very warm room. After enquiring about the air conditioning I was told there was none. Even after turning off the radiators in my room, it was still unbearably warm, to such an extent I had to open the double windows which was not an easy task (The window was easily 6 foot wide and if not twice as high). So now as well as having a hot room, I now had a cold breeze blowing through (from which I subsequently got a cold). The member of staff who showed me to my room was very excited about showing me the facility whereby your room service can be delivered without you having to answer the door. Upon opening the "shoot" I was shocked to discover that the last guest's tray with dirty plates had not been removed. I decided to order room service. I couldn't find the room service menu and had to wait at least 15/20 mins for this to arrive to my room and then I was told the room service menu after 10.30pm is different to the daytime room service menu. I had now missed the 10.30pm deadline with all the fussing. The night time room service menu was limited and so I asked if it would be possible for the chef to perhaps make a burger for me. I was told that after 10.30pm there is no chef on duty all food after this time is reheated food (and for some reason would take 40 mins to prepare). This is certainly not what I expected in a five star hotel. I then read the hotel service book and realised that there was a brasserie which the book said was open until 1.30am. Upon enquiry I was told that this was incorrect but the book hadn't been updated. I then asked if there was a takeaway service in the area I could order from, this seemed to baffle the reception staff who didn't know of anywhere. I then had to revert back to plan A and order room service, which was a pizza with congealed cheese on top and chips. The chips didn't even arrive with tomato sauce. This is a far cry from what the hotel website boasts "The only thing you'll hear in your room these days is the sound of your heart skipping a beat as you lift the lid on an indulgent midnight snack". My shower dripped incessantly which I could hear with the bathroom door closed and after complaining I was told someone would fix it the next morning. No one fixed it and upon enquiring I was told it was passed on to someone who needed a special part. At no time did anyone voluntarily give me this information. I think perhaps they thought that I the paying guest may just overlook this. The next morning I arrived at reception, and asked for a tourist map of the city. Again, this seemed to cause confusion and I thought I must have been the first person to have asked for this! Eventually a map was found hidden in a drawer. I would have thought that a hotel used by tourists would have such resources on display? That afternoon after meeting friends we had a snack and drink in the hotel brasserie. Service was poor and extremely slow. This was just something else to add to the list of complaints. I agree with the previous review saying that the soap dispensers in the bathroom did not all work and that the room was very poorly lit. The reception staff did not seem trained as to how to deal with problems and appeared to have pre-scripted answers to everything. I requested the manager call me the following morning at 10am. Again this got lost in translation and I had to call the manager. At first I got a frosty response but after saying that I would be reviewing the hotel on trip advisor her response changed somewhat. My room service charge was removed from my bill. This week I received an apology letter from the hotel and they offered me a complimentary one night stay at the hotel! I think they really missed the point-after such a disappointing stay, would I really put myself through all that again?

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Owl's Head, Maine
Reviewed 16 October 2008

The Scotsman is a stone Victorian building, previously the headquarters of the Scotsman newspaper. We arrived by airport bus and walked to the hotel on that level. The door was unattended, we were buzzed in and then had to take an elevator to the 4th floor to reception. The official front door was at the 4th floor level just over Northbridge, set back and offering no rain protection.
We had two different rooms on two different dates, the first at street level, the second lower down,offering a very roomy living room, but overloooking a pub which seemed open and loud all night long. This was only bearable because of the thick walls and double windows.
Both rooms were dark and gloomy. Reading lights over the bed were dim at best. The staff was pleasant, but generally service seemed erratic. One room had pillows which were worn out and a bit smelly. The other room had an ironing board and no iron. Soap, shampoo, etc., were all doled out by dispensers--some of which did not work.
The plus for the hotel is its good location for walks in town. We would probably not return.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dark rooms, catacomb-like layout
1 Thank efghij