“Long Weekend”

Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Wellington, United Kingdom
“Long Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

I did quite a bit of research before booking this hotel for a long weekend to celebrate my wifes 60th Birthday. It was difficult to find a clear choice because all had both positive and negative reviews. The scotsman either had very good or very bad reviews so I took a gamble as we wanted a central hotel near the station.
I was not disappointed, although not quite upto five star standard. The majority of staff were helpful and friendly, room was spacious and my wife loved the bathroom and cowshed products. I booked direct with the hotel to get the best breakfast included deal. The not so positive was having to queue for breakfast at the weekend, and they had no brown bread on the sunday, although the freshly cooked food was worth the wait.

• Liked — Spacious room with nice bathroom. Freshly cooked Breakfast
  • Disliked — Lots of doors and corridors to get to bedroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ukc802875219

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

I was not a guest of the hotel, so cannot comment on the rooms. However I attended my mate's wedding, and witnessed the horrible treatment of one of the guests by the hotel staff and the function manager.

One of the guests who I was chatting to was refused service at the bar because the barman said his "speech was slurred". I had been chatting with this gent for some time, and although he had a speech impediment, he clearly hadn't been drinking. He wasn't aggressive, unsteady on his feet or causing any trouble.

His wife was pretty angry when she found out, because it transpired that this gent had had part of his tongue removed from cancer a few years back, explaining the slurred speech.

I suppose you can forgive the initial misunderstanding, but I was appalled when the gent's wife explained this to the function manager, only for him to say he "didn't believe" their story and that they could both leave if they weren't happy!!!

I was absolutely disgusted with this behaviour, and it left the poor man in question completely humiliated. To top it off, the man and his wife were staying at the hotel, so they just went back to their room at 9pm!!

I would expect more from the average human being on the street, let alone staff at a 5 star hotel.

• Liked — nice function suite
  • Disliked — treatment of people with disabilities
4 Thank em677
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

having stayed at the scotsman only days after it's initial opening and on numerous trips to Edniburgh since, I am sorry to report that this fine hotel is losing its edge. gone are the traditional tweeds for the staff and replaced by black shirts and suits or vests and red ties...
kinda like a cheesy sopranos look if you ask me. desk staff have also lost their way regarding accomodating hospitality. snippy young aussie checked me in with no regard for how many times in the past I have chosen to spend hundreds and hundreds of business dollars/pounds with them. the place is starting to look run down with fraying rugs, chipped paint on corners of doorways, etc. come on, guys, get back to work and earn the 5-stars again.

2 Thank newlan
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

A very nice hotel in a great central location. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was small but clean, and we had a view of the city. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
In your back garden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

I think it's a couple of years since I last stayed here, but I thought it worth posting another review after an enjoyable stay when it seemed that standards were as high as on my previous visit; I think this is not always easy when hotels are exposed to heavy usage. It must take a lot of effort to keep on top of all the wear and tear after the intial excitement of opening.

Well, the Scotsman still looks good. The room was clean and in excellent order, and the unusual touches that intrigued me on previous stays did so once more.

This is not a standard chain hotel and if you are looking for that consistency / blandness then you had better look elsewhere.

Of Edinburgh's better hotels that I've stayed in (Caledonian, Sheraton), this would probably be the one I'd choose if I came back for a weekend away with my girlfriend.

What you get is: a more interesting room, reasonably priced room service, lots of choice in the minibar, a nice bathroom and really good toiletries (albeit fixed to the wall so you cannot continue enjoying them at home).

I might look at others if I had come for work, but only as I need to be in the West End and it is a little further to walk.

Beyond that the only disadvantage I noticed is the age and curious construction of the place, which tends to make it rather dark. This is by no means a problem in the bedroom in the evening but I'm not such a fan of the bright artificial lighting when you go for breakfast.

Fair price to pay for a room: £120-180 for a standard double without breakfast

• Liked — Character and style, very handy for Waverley (check in before your train's even pulled away)
  • Disliked — Artificially-lit breakfast room in bowels of building
Montrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

We stayed in one of the "editor" rooms which had a separate secluded double ended bath (in the turret at the front of the building) as well as a bathroom with multi spray shower cubicle both of which had a selection of big bottles of lovely toiletries.
The room was quiet, spotless and very well equiped with plenty of cupboard space,comfy couch, selection of up to date reading material and games, wall mounted tv and speakers in the bathroom.
We were delighted to find champagne on ice and a card awaiting us in our room as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary - a lovely touch which helped make the occasion feel even more special.
Tables at breakfast were well spaced out and there was a great selection of food on offer which was of a very good quality - superb, really fresh, fruit.
All of the staff were professional while being very friendly and approachable.
Absolutely no problems or complaints -only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Liked — Speakers in the bathroom !
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mytripUK
Carlow,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and neither the hotel or the staff could be faulted, it was top class all the way. Room was beautiful, staff were friendly and the location was perfect. Cannot wait go back again !

Stayed October 2008