“Avoid”

Ranked #88 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
london
“Avoid”
Reviewed 22 August 2009

After our "nightmare" 1 day stay at this run down appallingly run excuse for a hotel, I feel compelled to advise potential residents to seriously reconsider their plans and make alternative arrangements. To list our catalogue of complaints about this establishment would frankly take me about an hour so I will highlight the most serious of them. First of all on arrival we were advised they had double booked and would need to wait 4 hours sitting in a van with howling winds and rain outside. No offer of refreshments or food was even considered by the obnoxious and aggressive manager, who for some reason would not give us his name. After being cramped in the van trying to sleep we were then shown to our rooms or to be more accurate damp and smelly small boxes. On entering these so called rooms we all found that the rooms were freezing. Unbelieveably the central heating did not work. We immediatley contacted a member of staff who assured us she would contact the manager who had a habit if dissapearing. We left our belongings and ventured out for something to eat as we were advised food is only served at stated mealtimes. Actually eating out turned out the best option as we could also get some heat as well as some food. We thought about moving as we had booked in for 5 day but for conveinience decided to stay. For our evening meal we were handed a limited menu. I personally ordered steak "well done" and to my horror found to be almost freezing in the middle. My 2 collegues picked different dishes which were not even up to the standard of a greasy spoon cafe. As not to risk food poisoning I left the meat and ate only the vegetables which were also not fresh and cooked from frozen. Again we complained and again the manager had went missing. We returned to our still freezing rooms and tried to get some sleep in baltic conditions. We finally caught the manager the next morning by suprise as he was obviously avoiding us and several other irrate guests. We made our complaints to this manager "with no name" and we were met by a barrage of verbal abuse and we were told if we didn't like it then we could in his own words [--] OFF. After a torrent of abuse we gathered our belongings and decided to leave. To add insult to injury he actually charged us for staying one night. I refused to pay for the raw meat and after more abuse accepted this. I could go on but I think enough has been said about this pathetic excuse for a hotel. This horrible hotel with even worse staff made Fawlty Towers look like the Hilton. By all means decide for yourself but do yourself and your family a favour and AVOID THIS DIRTY DAMP COLD SHED which should not be allowed under health grounds to operate as a hotel. It should be condemned and shut down. I have contacted the environmental health about the condition of the building, who are making enquiries. I await their response.
Three very angry and dissapointed Glasweigians.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank beeneverywhere111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Washington,D.C.
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We got to the Scotsman Hotel little bit before checking in time, and ware checked in immediately by very friendly and curtious receptionist. Conciarge carried our bag and showed us the room, answered all of our questions, and went through the extent of going to get a map and circle all local points of interest. From the very first day to the last (we stayed 8 nights), every single member of Hotel Staff was dotting on all of our needs, wishes or requests. Rooms ware clean, sheets ware changed during our stay, there was always a fresh bowl of complimentary fruits, and fresh bottle of water. We stayed on the 8th floor, and yes, we could hear the life happening on the streets of Edinburgh, but that only added to the charm of the Hotel. We used the Gym, it is very well equiped, and trainer on the duty was very helpful. Bar and Brassiere had very friendly and knowlegable staff as well, and the food was very well prepared and presented. We had wonderful stay, get to know wonderful people that work in that Hotel, and we are looking forward to come back soon. Best regards to Gemma, Ian, Berry, Joel, Ivor and many many others who made our stay in Edinburgh fantastic (or as they say in Edinburgh..brilliant). The staff is what makes it 5 Star Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Montylassie
Houston TX
Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Scotsman is easily one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. Service (except for unecessarily high fees for use of internet service) and location could not be beat but beware, this hotel does not have air conditioning. A fan was provided, however, you had to keep the windows open to get the cool air to circulate and it was still pretty warm, then you have a lot of traffic noise coming from a fairly busy street. Despite everything else being A-One, I, personally, would stay at a hotel with ac in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights for our anniversary. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They really made us feel welcome. The fitness suite is incredible - a huge selection of gym machines, a big pool etc. We had breakfast in the hotel and the quality was very high. The continetal buffet had a big selection and the cooked breakfast was freshly made.

The room was a bit small for a 5 star deluxe room. Also I was a bit disappointed that the toiletaries wer not changed in the morning.

On the whole, a good place to stay in a great location. We got a deal on the price, I don't think it would be worth the £280 list price.

Falkirk
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I stayed here for my birthday with my boyfriend and we had a great stay. The location is brilliant as you are only minutes from princes street and the royal mile. The staff are very helpful and when they found out it was my birthday delivered a bottle of champagne to the room. We cant wait to go back and would recommend it anyone looking for a central location in Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Falkirkgirl52
Menlo Park
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We had a couple days in Edinburgh to re-live my old student days and visit some old haunts. I'd always loved the Scotsman building so was intrigued by how it would look as a hotel - it was stunning.
The hotel staff were first rate, very attentive, friendly and professional. The room that we were given had an outstanding view of the Balmoral Hotel and the Bridges. The room was very comfortable with everything that you could possibly need and the location can not be beaten. We were not there long enough to try out the restaurant or bar, but the breakfasts from room service were very good. I can not recommend this hotel highly enough.

1 Thank PS_00
Moray
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Stayed here for a 3-night break. On arrival, found staff were very helpful. Our deluxe room was of a rather strange shape, although it had all the things I expected it to have. The bathroom was nice, although my biggest complaint was that the toiletries were never replenished during our stay. By the third day we had completely run out of shower gel and shampoo. This has never happened in any hotel, let alone one of this standard.
Had to have windows open as it was so warm which meant we could hear announcements from station across the road, but it was nice to have a window in a hotel that actually opened for a change! The TV seemed to be permanently on mute as every time I put it on again I had to turn up the volume.
Breakfast was good, with a reasonable choice of continental foods and a made-to-order cooked selection. I chose something different each day and they were all very good. We didn't ever have to wait too long but I'm not sure how long the wait would be if the breakfast room was really busy.
As a treat I had a facial in the "Cowshed" spa. However it would appear that the hotel no longer uses these products as there were none in the hotel bathroom either. My treatment was adequate, but not vastly different (apart from using very expensive products) to that which I receive from my therapist at home - at a third of the price!
The hotel is in a very good location for both Princes Street and The Royal Mile with lots of eating places in the surrounding areas.

1 Thank Daphniesmum