“Not Five Star”

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #85 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Uk
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Our second stay at The Scotsman was a HUGE disappointment. In our opinion the deluxe room was just not clean enough (marks on the walls, bathroom floor, chrome etc., although the bed linen was spotless, and appreciated). The coffee machine was dirty, the shower flooded the bathroom floor, and the "cowshed" products were, in our opinion, deeply offensive to women. Perhaps our sense of humour towards "pampered cow" treatments differs from other people's. The wardrobe was tiny, barely big enough for two coats.

Our twin room (necessary because of a serious health problem, and made absolutely clear when booking) did not materialise. We tried to be patient (the staff were so pleasant when we arrived at night), and leave it until the morning to sort out. Apparently, that was our mistake. We should have refused the room, even though we had been told there were no alternatives. My partner spent a horrible night on an uncomfortable camp bed, and instead of someone contacting US to rectify the mistake, WE had to complain and then do battle for a resolution of the problem!

Eventually, a compromise on room price was agreed, but we both felt that we were considered to be "pests", and strangely inferior ones at that! My partner did end up being rude; I regret this, and if the manageress should ever read this, I apologise. We felt that she (the mangeress) miscalculated the situation at first (those pescy guests trying it on), but then tried hard to reach an acceptable compromise.

We run several businesses, and can only be away from work for odd nights. We ALWAYS stay 5* (to make up for brevity), and in our experience, it is not uniforms that denote a 5* hotel, but rather a subtle level of genuine courtesy (not false subservience), goodwill, and comfort. Take away the pretension, and the truly beautiful building, this reminded me of feelings after a night spent in a Bavarian youth hostel many years ago ... scary, and relieved to leave!

There are so many wonderful hotels in Edinburgh, and we have stayed in quite a few ... my partner is a Scot, and we come regularly to see relatives ... and this is our first unsatisfactory experience.

One MAJOR plus is the food. We ate in the Brasserie where the food was excellent, and the service the best you could ever wish for. (Actually, the way we treat our customers). Thank you Brasserie for giving us one very pleasant memory.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 26 September 2005

I stayed for 1 night in early September 2005. I've mixed feelings about the Scotsman. My deluxe room (about 220 Euros) was very spacious and there was a turret in one corner with a sitting area, large bay windows and wonderful views of Calton Hill, Princess Street and the Balmoral Hotel. The room was on the 5th floor, but in reality it was only 1 floor above street level (North Bridge) and I was kept awake most of the night by people shouting on the street especially when the pubs closed and a bottle bank being emptied in the early hours of the morning. I'd be interested to know if anyone has stayed on a higher floor (I think there are 8 floors in total) and found it quieter. I would also agree with the other reviewers who found it warm in the room.

On the positive side, I found some of the staff to be friendly and helpful, unlike the experience of some of the reviewers. When I arrived at 10 am, well aware that the check-in time was 3pm, I was told that they would prepare my room within the hour and was offered a pot of tea while I waited in the hotel's drawing room. I also enjoyed the health club, with its 16 m indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, tropicarium/steam room.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business