“Rubbish shower......”

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
High Wycombe, UK
Reviewed 2 January 2006

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and have mixed feelings. For 5 stars I expect no (and I mean none) problems. On arrival the minibar was not plugged in therefore all the contents were warm. Even when it was it didn't work properly. One of the bath robes was hidden in the wardrobe, and was too small for me. The worst probelm was the shower (avoid room 809). It was very hot all the time with no cold water flow. Even after complaining to the manager this made no difference. He sent up a bottle of champagne and claimed it was fixed, but I would rather have had a shower we could use. For 5 stars this was not good enough, and a major source of irritation when paying so much money.

On the plus side the food in both the brasserie and the expensive restaurant was very good. Staff were generally courteous and polite.

Without the unsolved shower problem I would have given it a good rating. I doubt I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,453)

Reviewed 30 November 2005

Myself and my husband stayed for a three night break at the very end of november. Our room was lovely and clean but a bit cold at times.In fairness it was snowing outside and minus 1 for most of our stay. Check in was a bit dodgy as they said they had no booking for us yet the deposit had been debited from my credit card.
Our bathroom was spotless and the array of goods in there were wonderful. All molton brown products in our room.I have never seen anything like this before.
We had a nice enough view from the room and the hotel is very central. Within 5min walk down the royal mile to the castle and princess street.There was coffeee and tea making facilities in the room and a small minibar.
The hotel bar and restaurnat was quiet small and uninviting, but there is plenty of places on your doorstep to eat and drink. We had a wonderful stay but the cost of the hotel was very high. It was about 550 pound sterling for the 3 nights.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank kt-bird
London
Reviewed 22 November 2005

I've never written a review of a hotel before but feel I have to write this and wish I'd read the other reviews before my stay. My husband and I booked into this hotel on a Friday afternoon and were dismayed to find that there is no real place to park. Dodging around annoyed pedestrians with our luggage made for an instantly disagreeable experience. When we entered, we were told the room we had booked (And had been confirmed the previous evening!) wasn't available. The attitude from the staff was the worst we've ever experienced in a hotel. (And we travel a lot. We were placed in a small 'closet' with a TV that hadn't been tuned in properly - That yellowish/purple tinge I've been reading about in other reviews was evident. The walls were marked and the wardrobes desperately needed a good clean.

The shower in the rest room was blocked with human hair! The tap kept dripping, which is okay during the day but in the middle of the night can drive you insane. I must say, the heat in the room was beyond belief. We were completely bathed in perspiration getting ready to go out! The windows wouldn't open either so air in the room was becoming an increasingly valuable commodity. My husband called down to reception and complained. After some heated discussion a disgruntled looking woman handed in a fan. This alleviated the problem slightly but the constant whirring of the fan, coupled with the dripping tap was beginning to play on our nerves a bit by this time. We went out for the night but when we arrived back at the hotel at 1.30AM, found the door was locked and couldn't get in! There was absolutely no staff around for 10 to 15 minutes! We stood in the street and kept ringing the bell. I ended up phoning the hotel on my mobile and were finally discovered by a member of staff with our cold noses pressed against the door! He smiled and said he hadn't heard us!!!

The breakfast we received the next day was laughable: badly cooked egg, 1 sausage, and 3 mushrooms each!! We had no milk at all at our table and had to call down again. I asked for decaffeinated coffee and didn't get it! After some time we received a minature carton of milk and had to spread it out as we were being treated as pests by this time and were feeling very uncomfortable being there.

We had booked into The Scotsman Hotel for 3 nights as part of a touring holiday but left after 1 night and can honestly say we have never experienced anything like this in our lives. For this hotel to be classed as a 5 star is a bad joke. We entered with excitement and left disappointed, angry and sad that part of our stay in the lovely city of Edinburgh was spoiled by staff and facilities in a hotel that would be better suited to a youth hostel. The price was high and the quality low.

This hotel should have it's star rating reviewed and downgraded instantly.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Spain
Reviewed 2 November 2005

There is no way this is a five star hotel. No air conditioning!! It may have been the hottest night of the year, but we were ignored when we told the staff it was too hot to sleep - they propped cushions in the windows (they wouldnt stay open) and gave us a fan. We had to change rooms three times as we found them very poky, dark and claustrophobic. Staff not particularly helpful and we would certainly never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2005

this is a lovely hotel with excellant staff and facilities. yes the lifts are very very very slow! the carpet looks a little worn in some of the corridors but the rooms are fantastic. amazing bathrooms and toiletries. superb spa. wonderful food. you must try the afternoon tea and scones,the best in the world. the rates at this hotel are excellant,given it's location and amenities. i have read some of the reviews that say this place is not 5 star. i have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and this is deinatley 5 star. please go and enjoy yourselves.i can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank babe3
York UK
Reviewed 30 September 2005

I stayed for two nights in this supposedly 5* hotel with my partner. We had booked a luxury twin room at over 300 UKP per night - but were put into a double. They said they had no other rooms. Since we can't sleep when in the same bed, I complained, and was given (it took them until 1 am to bring it up to the room) a fold-down camp-bed type of thing. It was lumpy, with protuding springs, and I had a very uncomfortable night.

The next day the hotel took no further action until we complained again. They sent up a haughty, hard-faced 'housekeeper' whose job was obviously to intimidate guests into shutting up and putting up with whatever treatment the hotel decided to impose on them. After a long argument, they converted the double room into a type of 'psuedo' twin room, by unzipping the big matress and pulling the two halves of the bed, six inches apart.

They don't really have twin rooms - what they did to our bed is all they ever do. If we had known that the night before, the bed could have been converted, and I wouldn't have had to spend a very uncomfortable night on that lumpy campbed. Their apology was a cheap bottle of wine. (But we refused to pay the full price for the night on the camp bed).

Apart from all of this upsetting hassle, at six am, despite being up on the 2nd top floor, the noise of station announcements from Waverly Station below, woke us up and continued every few minutes or so...

The staff on the desk were polite but unhelpful. Room service was very slow in most cases, and the evening choice of food is very limited, especially for vegetarians (a salad sandwich or soup). The mini-bar had no spirits and very limited choices. Breakfast was lukewarm. The coffee machine was dirty and uncleanable. The shower leaked. The curtain between the office and the bedroom wouldn't close. The blinds in the office would not go back up the next day, and the hotel didn't fix them.

Basically, the Scotsman Hotel managed to turn what was supposed to be a birthday treat into a bit of a nightmare, and we'd never go there again.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Uk
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Our second stay at The Scotsman was a HUGE disappointment. In our opinion the deluxe room was just not clean enough (marks on the walls, bathroom floor, chrome etc., although the bed linen was spotless, and appreciated). The coffee machine was dirty, the shower flooded the bathroom floor, and the "cowshed" products were, in our opinion, deeply offensive to women. Perhaps our sense of humour towards "pampered cow" treatments differs from other people's. The wardrobe was tiny, barely big enough for two coats.

Our twin room (necessary because of a serious health problem, and made absolutely clear when booking) did not materialise. We tried to be patient (the staff were so pleasant when we arrived at night), and leave it until the morning to sort out. Apparently, that was our mistake. We should have refused the room, even though we had been told there were no alternatives. My partner spent a horrible night on an uncomfortable camp bed, and instead of someone contacting US to rectify the mistake, WE had to complain and then do battle for a resolution of the problem!

Eventually, a compromise on room price was agreed, but we both felt that we were considered to be "pests", and strangely inferior ones at that! My partner did end up being rude; I regret this, and if the manageress should ever read this, I apologise. We felt that she (the mangeress) miscalculated the situation at first (those pescy guests trying it on), but then tried hard to reach an acceptable compromise.

We run several businesses, and can only be away from work for odd nights. We ALWAYS stay 5* (to make up for brevity), and in our experience, it is not uniforms that denote a 5* hotel, but rather a subtle level of genuine courtesy (not false subservience), goodwill, and comfort. Take away the pretension, and the truly beautiful building, this reminded me of feelings after a night spent in a Bavarian youth hostel many years ago ... scary, and relieved to leave!

There are so many wonderful hotels in Edinburgh, and we have stayed in quite a few ... my partner is a Scot, and we come regularly to see relatives ... and this is our first unsatisfactory experience.

One MAJOR plus is the food. We ate in the Brasserie where the food was excellent, and the service the best you could ever wish for. (Actually, the way we treat our customers). Thank you Brasserie for giving us one very pleasant memory.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member