“Brilliant”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 September 2009

This was a surprise trip for me. We stayed for two nights and the room was excellent and the bed was extremely comfortable. All the staff was friendly & helpful. We have stayed in Edinburgh lots of times but staying at the Scotsman was the best overall.
If we had the money, I would stay there every time we came Edinburgh to visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,452)

Reviewed 25 September 2009

Went there for christmas shopping. Highly recommended. Look out for special deals

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Finn
Reviewed 21 September 2009

I decided to treat myself to a luxury stay in Edinburgh and picked the Scotsman for its reputation and location. The ist room we were shown had the cistern in the bath with the plumbers tools on the floor- the porter looked as surprised as we did ! The 2nd room was fine except it was stifling hot - we had to leave the fan on all the time . I'm sorry now I didnt complain more. The location is ideal and the staff are lovely and helpful. However, the last night we discovered a leak in the ceiling onto the bed ! This was at 1 am in the morning. We had to move rooms and the other one was much cooler. The manager was very apologetic but I told him its not what I expect from a 5 star hotel . Our room rate didnt include breakfast (£13.50 for continental ) so I informed the manger I would avail of that to make up for the inconvience. The breakfast itself was nice, but I was annoyed with myself that I didnt kick up more. I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. There are plenty more hotels with central locations.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishveggie
Reviewed 6 September 2009

This hotel was as good as it gets.

The staff greeted us at every opportunity and were extremely helpful. Breakfast was excellent, the room (editor room) was large and had all of the mod cons and luxuries. The spa was clean and quiet, enabling a relaxing evening and morning swim and sauna.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank SMG701
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Stayed at the Scotsman for my birthday on a Sunday night deal - brilliant value! £250 DBB to stay in a suite....the front of house staff were brilliant, so friendly & helpful so first impressions were great. Suite was lovely - received flowers and champagne from hotel. well stocked mini bar, sky TV, etc etc. Fabulous shower!! Bed very comfy too....the SPA is amazing - and had a wonderful time in there. Dinner was also brilliant at the North Bridge Brasserie - excellent choice and the deserts were to die for....Breakfast service a bit slow and not great for a 5 star hotel but did not spoil our visit. compared to other 5 star hotels I've stayed at it stacked up, was well worth the money and would definitely go again .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuperScotsGal
Reviewed 22 August 2009

After our "nightmare" 1 day stay at this run down appallingly run excuse for a hotel, I feel compelled to advise potential residents to seriously reconsider their plans and make alternative arrangements. To list our catalogue of complaints about this establishment would frankly take me about an hour so I will highlight the most serious of them. First of all on arrival we were advised they had double booked and would need to wait 4 hours sitting in a van with howling winds and rain outside. No offer of refreshments or food was even considered by the obnoxious and aggressive manager, who for some reason would not give us his name. After being cramped in the van trying to sleep we were then shown to our rooms or to be more accurate damp and smelly small boxes. On entering these so called rooms we all found that the rooms were freezing. Unbelieveably the central heating did not work. We immediatley contacted a member of staff who assured us she would contact the manager who had a habit if dissapearing. We left our belongings and ventured out for something to eat as we were advised food is only served at stated mealtimes. Actually eating out turned out the best option as we could also get some heat as well as some food. We thought about moving as we had booked in for 5 day but for conveinience decided to stay. For our evening meal we were handed a limited menu. I personally ordered steak "well done" and to my horror found to be almost freezing in the middle. My 2 collegues picked different dishes which were not even up to the standard of a greasy spoon cafe. As not to risk food poisoning I left the meat and ate only the vegetables which were also not fresh and cooked from frozen. Again we complained and again the manager had went missing. We returned to our still freezing rooms and tried to get some sleep in baltic conditions. We finally caught the manager the next morning by suprise as he was obviously avoiding us and several other irrate guests. We made our complaints to this manager "with no name" and we were met by a barrage of verbal abuse and we were told if we didn't like it then we could in his own words [--] OFF. After a torrent of abuse we gathered our belongings and decided to leave. To add insult to injury he actually charged us for staying one night. I refused to pay for the raw meat and after more abuse accepted this. I could go on but I think enough has been said about this pathetic excuse for a hotel. This horrible hotel with even worse staff made Fawlty Towers look like the Hilton. By all means decide for yourself but do yourself and your family a favour and AVOID THIS DIRTY DAMP COLD SHED which should not be allowed under health grounds to operate as a hotel. It should be condemned and shut down. I have contacted the environmental health about the condition of the building, who are making enquiries. I await their response.
Three very angry and dissapointed Glasweigians.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank beeneverywhere111
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We got to the Scotsman Hotel little bit before checking in time, and ware checked in immediately by very friendly and curtious receptionist. Conciarge carried our bag and showed us the room, answered all of our questions, and went through the extent of going to get a map and circle all local points of interest. From the very first day to the last (we stayed 8 nights), every single member of Hotel Staff was dotting on all of our needs, wishes or requests. Rooms ware clean, sheets ware changed during our stay, there was always a fresh bowl of complimentary fruits, and fresh bottle of water. We stayed on the 8th floor, and yes, we could hear the life happening on the streets of Edinburgh, but that only added to the charm of the Hotel. We used the Gym, it is very well equiped, and trainer on the duty was very helpful. Bar and Brassiere had very friendly and knowlegable staff as well, and the food was very well prepared and presented. We had wonderful stay, get to know wonderful people that work in that Hotel, and we are looking forward to come back soon. Best regards to Gemma, Ian, Berry, Joel, Ivor and many many others who made our stay in Edinburgh fantastic (or as they say in Edinburgh..brilliant). The staff is what makes it 5 Star Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple