“Excellent from start to finish. They have...”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #83 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Excellent from start to finish. They have a treasure here in Ivor who shows you to your room, explains how the discrete service hatch and complimentary shoe shine works, recommends restaurants with honesty, remembers your name the next morning and makes you feel utterly well looked after. I wish every hotel in the world had an Ivor.

Our room had a perfect view over Waverley Station to Princes' St., the staff at the excellent brasserie - and late night bar - which we happily enjoyed, were all very smiley and cheerful. Everyone here was friendly, unstuffy and had time to stay and chat.

Bed and linens lovely - BIG bath sheets - super little spa; quirky press themed crocks etc (this is the old newspaper building after all prior to its move to the Holyrood area); rose petals on the bed all combined to what was a lovely, lovely stay. Will definitely return.

1  Thank PedantiqueWretch
There are newer reviews for The Scotsman Hotel

Reviewed 12 May 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Scotsman for 2 nights as we had booked to see a concert in Edinburgh. As a treat I decided to book a luxury hotel for us both. The hotel is in an ideal location to explore the city and when we arrived were initially thrilled with it. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a great view of North Bridge and the Scott monument. However, there were little things that started to niggle me when I knew how much we were paying. For example, the wooden toilet seat had got some chips in it and a small split in one area, the bin in the bedroom wasn't emptied and there was no replacement of the little bottles of shower gel and body lotion which we had used the previous day. Whilst I would not normally complain about such trivialities, I felt that as we were in a 5 star luxury hotel those things should have been sorted. Then to add insult to injury, when we got to the breakfast room we were told that the daily rate included a continental breakfast only and if we wanted a cooked breakfast we had to pay for it! We were astounded. On account of the above mentioned annoyances, I would not stay here again. I am sure I can find another 5 star hotel which is worthy of its class.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stayed at the Scotsman Hotel for a week during the Edinburgh Festival, reviewing for a national newspaper. At the end of the week I left some bags of luggage in my hotel room for safekeeping. The Hotel staff said that was fine, they would look after them for me. I then spent another fantastic week on Skye, walking and climbing. When I returned, I found that my laptop, value £400, had gone missing from the bags I had left. They denied all knowledge. My bags were left locked in my room when I handed the keys in, and were handed directly back to me in the hotel lobby a week later. In other words, at no time were they not in the Scotsman's possession. During this time, my laptop disappeared. They refused any compensation, denied all responsbility, and offered no recompense apart for a free night back there another time. Not surprisingly, I have not taken this offer up, as I don't want any more of my possessions stolen. Utterly disgraceful. And this is usually regarded as one of the finest hotels in Scotland. Not by me it isn't. If the Scotman has a problem with my version of events, they should of course feel free to sue me for libel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank cwh210
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Very central hotel great staff and quirky layout. There is no air con in the rooms and even on the nights we were there and it was very cold outside at night the room was very hot and we had to run the electric fan all night. Goodness knows what its like in the summer. The loo seat was split ( how was that missed in a 5 star hotel?) but was quickly replaced. The banging fire door outside our room was reported twice but not fixed and no one came back to us on it. It woke me up at 1.15am and 6.00 am on the first night and 6.15am on the second. Would we go back? Probably not ,at their prices there must be hotels in Edinburgh were you can get a nights sleep in a cooler room for less. But top marks to the staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2010

The hotel is ideally situated for exploring the sights of Edinburgh and the attached restaurant is wonderful. The spa is really nice with a unique pool. I recommend you stay if you get the chance.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2010

This is probably the best situated hotel in Edinburgh as it is equally close to site seeing and shopping and located right in the heart of Old Town. It is a short walk down the street from the city's main attraction: Edinburgh Castle. The hotel is old, but they have sensibly updated the key areas of importance: bathrooms and TV's. My room on the 4th floor contained a fully updated huge spa bathroom. The room was outfitted with the obligatory flat screen on the wall. The 12' ceilings with dark wood trim and tartan drapes and bedding gave the room a uniquely Scottish feel, which I appreciated. The only dings were that they didn't quite figure out how to configure the closet so that the door would open without hitting the bed. Also, the noise at night of drunk partiers at some bar beneath the window yelling (3 nights in a row) was slightly annoying. Otherwise, the room was great. Dinner in the hotel was excellent. The staff memorized my name which was a nice touch.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I have stayed in the scotsman a couple of times and every time the position of the place amazes me. It's close to everything but as soon as you enter the hotel it's very cosy and laid back, they have fabulous wine, great service and good food. All in all a enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family