“Do not stop here!”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #84 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Worsed hotel stay of my life! Staff were friendly but couldnt help with anything i asked for.
My card was used with out my approval and getting any help to clear this up was a nightmare. We got to the hotel at five oclock checked in and went to our room got change and came down for a meal in there restaraunt to be to i should have book and table and they had nothing, even though every table was empty and still was when we came back for drinks after a meal else where. Most uncomfortable bed ever used in my life. Spoiled my weeken away!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. Firstly I would like to offer my apologies and then take the opportunity to respond to the points you have made.

Further to your comments about your card being incorrectly charged I have spoken to my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe. All of our guests are asked for a card at the beginning of their stay to leave a pre-authorisation for the amount of £50 to cover room charges as is the usual procedure across the hotel industry.

Depending on the package our guest’s have booked and if they have not pre-paid for their room prior to arrival this pre-authorisation also includes the full room rate. With the majority of banks and credit cards this amount does not appear on your statement as it is not actually a processed charge, however on certain cards this amount may appear as a charge and be refunded by the banks up to 5 working days later.

This may be the case with yourself and if you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact my Revenue Manager, Lucy Jeffrey directly and she can confirm the amounts with you. I would like to apologise for any confusion or distress this has caused but can assure you that no incorrect charges have been made.

I am sorry that you were not able to dine with us in the restaurant on the evening of your stay I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan and he informs me that on the evening of the 19th February we had 66 guests booked into the restaurant. I am sorry that you were not offered the opportunity of a later reservation and Jonathon has spoken to his team about this.

Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me directly or my Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Stayed for just one night for Scotland v Wales Rugby match.
We came by train, so location coulnt be better, literally cross the road from market street entrance of waverley.

Staff all very helpful and friendly, arrived at 12.30pm so we used the spa to relax before our room was ready at 2pm.

The room was wonderful, with a complimentary "wee dram" of whisky to see us on our way to the match.

The hotel has a lovely quirky geomentry, which perfectly reflects Edinburghs Jeckyll/Hyde, Old town/new town character.

If you're looking for a little bit of luxury in central edinburgh, perfectly located between the royal mile and princess street, and if arriving by train its a great choice.

The hotel was excelelnt, The old slight downside was the restaurnat service was a little slow at lunchtime, althought the food was very good.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2011

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We agree with your comment that this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary whisky provided in our suites and trust you enjoyed the match.
I would like to apologise that you found the service to be a little slow during your lunch; I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan about this and has held an additional training session with our waiting staff following your comments.
It is always a pleasure to receive our guest’s feedback and to hear that we were able to treat you to a little bit of luxury during your visit to Edinburgh and we look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

a wonderful hotel, we stayed here for our honeymoon in May 10 - staff cannot be praised enough for their customer skills, the rooms were first class and it was a case of being treated like royalty from the moment we arrived, until we left - nothing was too much trouble. A great view of the station, and the castle and restaurants were only minutes away - wonderful memories always of this hotel - well done all.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2011

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
As you have said we hold an enviable position on North Bridge nestled between the old and new towns of Edinburgh and affording us wonderful views across the city.
Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me directly or my Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your booking.
I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2011

This hotel was easy to get to and in the heart of Edinburgh. It is a quick walk to the Edinburgh castle and Scotch Whiskey Experience and the Camera Obscura....walking distance to the Royal Mile...location is great. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable. They have a little construction going on outside, but all is well in the hotel. My only complain, which for me is big, is our bed was not at all comfortable. Also warning to females: they do not provide a blow dryer.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman Hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
The construction you have mentioned is an extensive renovation project that Edinburgh City Council and Historic Scotland are carrying out on the iconic Scotsman steps that run down the side of the hotel.

I would like to apologise that your bed did not meet your expectations, I’m sure you can appreciate that all of our guest’s have very individual tastes with regards to their mattress preferences and we are unfortunately not able to accommodate everyone’s. I am sorry that your room did not have a hairdryer on your arrival and agree that this should have been more thoroughly checked; I would like to assure you that had you mentioned this to reception during your stay we would have been more than happy to bring one up to your room straight away.
I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I got a great $145/night rate at The Scotsman, which is a first class hotel by any measure. The hotel was once occupied by The Scotsman newspaper, in an era when newspapers were profitable enough to justify building the very best. It is located inside a giant granite building, right next to Waverly Station and the Royal Mile. It's the best location in Edinburgh. The service was great, the health club is very well appointed, and the Spa, which I didn't visit is supposedly famous.
A few caveats. The bathrooms have their quirks. Water from the showerhead goes all over the bathroom because of a poorly designed enclosure. The tubs have curved bottoms that are more comfortable for bathing than for showering. The lights in both bath and bedroom are very dim -- maybe a green credential, but tough for aging eyes.
Still I'd stay there again if I got such a good rate and I'd recommedn it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2011

As you have mentioned the Hotel as it is today used to be the home to the famous Scotsman Newspaper and we are very proud of the magnificient building. The main staircase from the reception area is made entirely of beautiful green marble and with the floor to ceiling stained glass window many guests have spoken about its striking appearance.
I would like to apologise about the problem you experience with the water from the shower; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara and he has repaired this in your room, I am sorry that this had not been checked and rectified prior to your arrival.

All of our rooms have lamps at either side of the beds, between 3-6 spot lights (depending on the size of the room) as well as a standard lamp. The lighting in the rooms have individual controls and our Concierge team demonstrate how this works when showing our guest’s to their rooms. I would like to apologise that the lighting in your room was not set to your expectations.

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to hear that you will not only be returning to stay with us in the future but that you will also recommend us to your friends and family is an added bonus.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 6 February 2011

I wanted to write this review because we were a bit worried when we booked, since looking at their website one can see that rooms of the same price class vary quite a bit. However, we were very pleased that we got a room with great view, and supremely atmospheric interior (room 302, facing the water). I really cannot understand why those plain white rooms exist in the hotel at all.

Part of the reason for our stay was also because of the spa, which we found to be as good as advertised. The stainless steel pool is nice, but I was more impressed with the scented steam room and the sauna with it's small "stars" in the ceiling and lounge music. It was also very clean and in very good repair.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

With regards to the room that you viewed on the internet, the Scotsman hotel is housed in the building that was originally the home of the famous Scotsman newspaper. We are very proud of the fact that during the conversion to the hotel as it is today a lot of the traditional and quirky rooms were kept as close to their original layout as possible. As no 2 rooms are the same I’m sure you can appreciate that we are unable to show all 69 of our rooms and suites on the internet. I am pleased to see that you benefited from one of our rooms with the fabulous views across Edinburgh to the Firth of the Forth.

We like to think that our Spa and Health Club facilities offer our guest’s a relaxing and calming environment and I am pleased that you enjoyed the impressive stainless steel pool, which is the first in Scotland as well as the Sauna, Tropicarium and Steam Room.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 4 February 2011

From the moment we checked in we were made to feel special. Both reception and concierge staff answered all our queries knowledgeably and with enthusiasm. All their recommendations were excellent and they followed through by asking us what we had done and our opinions. Room was very comfortable and quiet.

The bar was relaxed and welcoming and the staff only too keen to guide us through the whisky menu!

Location was excellent - easy to walk to all the city centre attractions and also close to the airport link bus and Waverley station.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
We have over 70 rare and exciting single malt whiskys in our cellar and I am pleased to hear that you were guided through some of these by our knowledgeable bar staff.
As you have said we hold an enviable position in Edinburgh, nestled neatly between both the old and new towns giving easy access to the many famous tourist destinations as well as making your arrival in the Capital and subsequent journey to the hotel very short and easy.
I hope that you will choose to stay with us again should you return to visit Edinburgh and I look forward to welcoming you back.