Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #120 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“review”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

i found the location of the hotel very good, except for access by car (to drop off luggage) and the need to carry luggae up stairs to get into the hotel.
The rooms were large enough, but the bathrooms quite small and there was very imited shefl space and no clothes drying line.
Meals were expensive for the quality of food.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikegowan
, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued review. We do have a fantastic location in the city centre and we are sorry that you had difficulty dropping off your luggage, Should you choose to stay in the future we would be more than happy to assist you with this.

James Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lyon, France
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The place has an amazing location, 2 minute walk from the Airport Bus Shuttle stop, right in front of the Old town. We had a room facing the old city and the view was beautiful. Room was clean and bed comfortable.
2 critics : A - I do not understand why paying 200£ a night I would have to pay for Internet ... greed., B - too bad employees do not read English as " Do not disturb" on the door knob should avoid 3 cleaning people walking in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JARAWAK
, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued review. We do have a great location with fabulous views of the city and we are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh. We provide free internet in our public areas and I am very sorry that you were disturbed by the houskeepers. We do hope that you will consider using us again as i can assure you your enjoyment will be a priority to us.

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2012

It's a shame that the previous two reviewers both had bad experiences in this hotel, but mine couldn't have gone more smoothly....even taking into account the fire alarm going off during the week! (Which the hotel staff handled very well, I must say, and were very courteous. The fire brigade were also excellent and very efficient!)

I was a solo traveller and this was the first trip that I have ever undertaken on my own, so it was a great delight that the hotel staff worked so hard to make my trip as enjoyable as possible.

The hotel is situated in an ideal place - just opposite Scott's Monument, less than a 5 minute walk away from Waverly station. It's easy to spot as soon as you come out of the station, so no getting lost either!

The room was lovely - I booked through laterooms, so I ended up with a bit of a mystery room - it was obviously one that would have been going empty otherwise, and it was a twin room adapted for disabled use. To that end, I had a sort of wet-room as opposed to a bath, but that didn't bother me in the least. The only thing that may cause an issue (although it was fine for me on my own) is the amount (or lack therof) of hanging space. Like I said, it was ok for me on my own, but for two people, it would have been a squish.

A safe and tea/coffee making facilities were provided, but there was no fridge. Annoying, since I can't stand those little cartons of milk they put in with the tea and coffee, and would have preferred to have kept my own little thing of milk cool in the fridge. The walls were also quite thin, but since it's a historic building, that's something that has to be expected.

Food-wise - pretty good, but seemed to be fairly standard pub fare. If I'm totally honest, I mostly went round to the little local Sainsbury's round the back on Rose Street, and bought little bits and pieces there. There's also a local Marks and Sparks, and plenty of cafes and restraunts within walking distance. (DO go and visit the Dome if you can - expensive, but SOOO worth it)

The hotel itself is very secure, requiring your key for both your room AND the lifts if going above reception level. I did have a problem with my key a couple of times when it let me use the lift, but then wouldn't let me in the room. I've had a problem with this when staying with my family in a Mercure hotel in York, so I wonder if it's a fault with Mercure, not with this particular hotel. However, a quick swipe and a recode, and it was fine to use again

A big thank you to all the staff who helped make my trip so enjoyable.

Room Tip: There's a large amount of traffic work going on on Princes street at the moment, and it's sc...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We are proud of our staff and service given and we are pleased to see that they excelled again. We do hope you use our hotel again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back. We would be happy to deliver fresh milk to your room daily.

St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

First of all we came into the building, which all looked very nice and expensive. However when we got up the flight of stairs and into the restaurant it all changed. We stood just in the door for about 10 minutes as there was a sign saying "Please wait to be seated". Eventually a waiter came over and told us it was self service.

I ordered a jacket potato and asked for cheese on it but they said they had none left. what sort of hotel doesn't have cheese?!? we were asked if we both wanted salad which we took, and i can tell you, i wouldn't feed my own pet rabbit that lettuce! it was all wilted, the tomatoes were soft and the cucumber was dried out.

we sat down and both of us were apprehensive. The table we were at had excellent views of the parks and monuments. However the table was all worn and some of the top was pulled off! it felt as if we were in a school cafeteria.

we both left half our food as it was disgusting. Neither of us could touch the salad and to make matters worse, my daughter lifted the lid of my teapot to find terrible brown stains inside it!! enough to turn any stomach.

the tables in the dining room were were all dirty, and nobody seemed to be that bothered, all the waiters just stood around talking.

I can assure you, i will never return to here, ever.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kirsty1D
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued review. I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction during your visit to our restaurant. I can assure you that this is not our normal standard of service. We have a very large team in this area, all of whom are put through substantial training to ensure that they are capable of service delivery at all times. This service is certainly not what is expected from our team and I can assure you this will be dealt with.

Once again my sincere apologies.

James Fraser

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed here for two nights (Sunday and Monday). Although the location is central, the room was awfully small and humid, even during Winter.

The hotel offered a hot/cold buffet breakfast during the weekends which we considered was a good standard. However, we were greeted with stale pastries and other various 'unfresh' items for breakfast on Monday. I asked one unhelpful waitress where the hot breakfast items are? However, it appears that you had to order any hot breakfast items via the staff, which we were not advised of, despite the breakfast area being practically empty. We were then provided with one individual piece of hot breakfast item as they had/were running out.

Since we were leaving Edinburgh later on that day, we asked the hotel to store a couple of our bags until we left the city.

We returned to the hotel and asked the receptionist to release the storage room door for collection of our bags. To our shock and despair, one of our bags were missing!

The receptionist was practically of no assistance, he just called a colleague to check whether the bag had been misplaced....obviously the bag was nowhere to be seen as someone had taken it!

Further correspondence was made to the general manager/operational manager and to their head office regarding what had happened and the lack of control of the baggage facility and total lack of care and responsibility involved by the management and their staff in the whole process....we were then told that it is not under their jurisdiction and to claim on our travel insurance.

What an absolute insult for a major hotel chain to wash their hands from this situation and to not accept any responsibility for actually admitting that they 'trust' guests to access the storage facility...which is a complete joke!

I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you are brave enough to leave your luggage with them!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dave C
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your stay in November last year. I know we have had several communications regarding your luggage and I am sorry that we did not manage to resolve that matter to your satisfaction. I am somewhat surprised at your comments regarding breakfast as it seems to contradict your previous good comments about having enjoyed your stay. As several months have passed since you stayed it would be difficult to investigate fully. I will, however, ensure that this is shared with the team and I am certain they will join me in apologising.

Once again many thanks