“Prime spot, poor hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #120 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Netley, United Kingdom
“Prime spot, poor hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately this was the only hotel available for me on a recent trip to Edinburgh. I wasn't expecting much, having never stayed in a mercury before, however, what I was greeted with was a very tired and underwhelming hotel.

The staff were very pleasant but the room was cramped and dirty and in desperate need of a lick of paint.

The bathroom looked dirty and didn't fill me with confidence.

I had a terrible view of some machinery of an adjoining building and the amenities were not brilliant.

Breakfast was mediocre but I didn't try the dinner menu.

All in all I will try my hardest to steer clear on my next visit to what is otherwise a delightful city.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your comments accordingly.

James Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is a middle of the road hotel that just needs a good manager with attention to detail to project it way up in the popularity stakes. The location is brilliant with some of the best views in Edinburgh; the building seems fine.

However the staff just don't seem to care enough. So, for example the person sitting me down for breakfast insisted on me sitting in a dingy place behind a screen far away from the self-service set-up, when there were plenty of empty nice tables at the window with spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle.

Likewise, in my room, the shower fitting was loose on the wall - it needed just ten minutes of handyman to sort it - and the hairdryer rear cover was loose so anyone with long hair risked a nasty accident having their hair ingested - again sorting it would take minutes. The WiFi system refused to log me in because it said there wasn't a guest in the room I was in (I only needed it for a few minutes so I used my phone instead).

At Reception I dropped my rail pass which of course has my photo and name on it - although Reception knew I was returning to my room, no one called me in my room - I only found out when by chance I returned my room key in person (vs posting it in the post box).

Even the online booking process was a mess as three times after inputting all my information it refused to take my payment, then the fourth time told me the room type I wanted was no longer available, so I had to input everything again the fourth time for a room with three beds before I could book. (However reading others' experience perhaps this was a blessing - I got a room a the front, with those nice views, that was very quiet.)

This last issue probably had nothing to do with the Edinburgh manager, however it all contributes to a 'don't care' image. It's all such a pity because the hotel location is so good: it has so much going for it potentially.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are nicely located for views and noise level
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk to discuss this further.

Rincon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel was very clean and efficient. I particularly liked its convenience to the train station. We would stay there again. The room was extremely comfortable. The staff was most helpful. The only thing I dislked was the automated woman's voice in the elevator.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013

Dunoon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Great location right on princes street but rooms at back of hotel very noisy. Whatever the units are heating or air conditioning nightmare drowning out my telly so noisy. Tried to get a change of room but no chance as hotel to busy. Make sure when you book you ask for a room at the front when booking. Otherwise good city hotel comfortable food pretty good. Breakfast lovely lots of choice and view of princes st and castle unbeatable. Only other issue I had was TV channel package very poor for a city hotel half my channels didn't work and tv continually froze on me. Other positive staff very friendly and helpfull

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. We can assure you that the issue you encountered with the TV is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here for our 1st wedding anniversary, and thought you can't go wrong on Princes Street. The rooms were nice & clean with a very comfortable bed. The views were just amazing, the castle being the star of the show.
The breakfast was good & very filling. Again, the dining room has spectacular views of Edinburgh.
I was disappointed in the tea & coffe facilities though. It was ��100 b&b with castle views so you would expect a lest a few biscuits but all you got was 2 cups worth of teas & coffe. Perhaps hot chocolate & bottled water would be nice too. There was noise coming from Princes Street but thats to be expected being situated where it is.
Apart from that, it was a very nice place to spend our first anniversary.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest

Brentwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great location, great staff but the standard room was tiny. It was actually a challenge to move around the edge of the bed!

Also, had this been August the room would have been too warm - no aircon and the window opened near some machinery humming away all night.

More Ibis than Mercure.

Room Tip: Try a non-standard room to see if they're any bigger!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us and I am pleased my staff made your stay enjoyable.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We have just enjoyed our 20th anniversary at the Mercure Hotel and it could not have been better. All staff were very welcoming nothing was a bother and the card and chocolates left in our room was a really nice gesture. Our room was very comfortable and the view was panoramic and perfect. We enjoyed ourselves so much we have booked again for an overnight for a Christmas treat never having been to Edinburgh during the festive season.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.
It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.