Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #124 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hotel was a really nice change since we just came from Rome with average beds. These beds were really good. Very nice room and amenities. The hotel breakfast seemed a bit steep so we choose to eat elsewhere. However the view was great, service was really nice, great location as it is right next to the train station and the airport bus stop. Loved staying here and would stay here again next time I visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were thrilled to stay here for 2 nights in a spacious room on the 5th floor overlooking the street .The views of the Scott Memorial and the Edinburgh Castle were to die for. Loved the hotel location in the centre of all the shopping action and directly opposite beautiful gardens. The street noise wasn't noticeable at all during the night.
The breakfast buffet and serving staff were wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.
Brilliant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mim L

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the [Hotel Name]. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Last month We had spent 2days in edinburgh.we chose mercure for our stay .we really enjoyed the atmophere of mercure hotel.there was no delay in check in procedure.the staffs were very friendly and helpful.but we have a small complaint about your breakfast.it was the same menu on all the three days.so you should try to improve your daily breakfast menu.the room ,bed spread and the bathroom were well organised and well cleaned.

Room Tip: Take castle view rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.
I have noted your comments about breakfast and will look in to this.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Great location...in fact for accessing restaurants, sights etc you can't get any better,

On our return from a dinner in area we plumped for a pudding in the dining room. My chocolate salted caramel torte was to die for!!!

The downers sadly was quality of the bed in the room. The mattress was well past its sell by date and I could feel the springs through the bedding. Although staff try to arrange a room swap the hotel was so full they could not oblige. Sadly, I had no other option but to accept a duvet as additional mattress covering to try and make bed more comfortable. The next day however I was left with walking round edinburgh with a sore and achy back. Not ideal.

Overall good visit but the bed really let hotel down!

Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure Edinburgh. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the mattress, which we are addressing.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Great hotel for location, book a room at the front for the view. Food good, great breakfasts. Beware of reception staff, no customer service at all. Also make sure that you are getting the correct package for your room,had the movie package but were told we didnt so had to show them the booking reciept! Staff in restaurant brilliant!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. I have noted your comments about the tv package and I am sorry for the confusion. We have addressed this to ensure it does not happen again.
I have addressed your concerns with the Head Receptionist about the Front Office staff.

I hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Unfortunately this was the only hotel available for me on a recent trip to Edinburgh. I wasn't expecting much, having never stayed in a mercury before, however, what I was greeted with was a very tired and underwhelming hotel.

The staff were very pleasant but the room was cramped and dirty and in desperate need of a lick of paint.

The bathroom looked dirty and didn't fill me with confidence.

I had a terrible view of some machinery of an adjoining building and the amenities were not brilliant.

Breakfast was mediocre but I didn't try the dinner menu.

All in all I will try my hardest to steer clear on my next visit to what is otherwise a delightful city.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating your comments accordingly.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is a middle of the road hotel that just needs a good manager with attention to detail to project it way up in the popularity stakes. The location is brilliant with some of the best views in Edinburgh; the building seems fine.

However the staff just don't seem to care enough. So, for example the person sitting me down for breakfast insisted on me sitting in a dingy place behind a screen far away from the self-service set-up, when there were plenty of empty nice tables at the window with spectacular views of Edinburgh Castle.

Likewise, in my room, the shower fitting was loose on the wall - it needed just ten minutes of handyman to sort it - and the hairdryer rear cover was loose so anyone with long hair risked a nasty accident having their hair ingested - again sorting it would take minutes. The WiFi system refused to log me in because it said there wasn't a guest in the room I was in (I only needed it for a few minutes so I used my phone instead).

At Reception I dropped my rail pass which of course has my photo and name on it - although Reception knew I was returning to my room, no one called me in my room - I only found out when by chance I returned my room key in person (vs posting it in the post box).

Even the online booking process was a mess as three times after inputting all my information it refused to take my payment, then the fourth time told me the room type I wanted was no longer available, so I had to input everything again the fourth time for a room with three beds before I could book. (However reading others' experience perhaps this was a blessing - I got a room a the front, with those nice views, that was very quiet.)

This last issue probably had nothing to do with the Edinburgh manager, however it all contributes to a 'don't care' image. It's all such a pity because the hotel location is so good: it has so much going for it potentially.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are nicely located for views and noise level
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk to discuss this further.