“Mercure Hotel, Princess Street, Edinburgh”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #122 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My sister and I have just returned home after a 3 night stay at the Mercure, Princess Street.
Had pre-booked an early arrival time, took the Hotel staff a couple of minutes checking this and we were told we could not have the room till 2pm. This matter was dealt with and we were given the key to Room 770 - OMG this was not the room that is advertised on the internet and was a lot smaller - no sofa just 2 tacky brown chairs with a chrome and formica topped table.
There was an insert in the wall behind the door which was the wardrobe - no door to it and only a single handing space and a couple of shelves - did not like the idea of staff coming into my room and my clothes and "Smalls" being on view. My offer also included a surprise gift which was not in my room. On going out I did ask at reception why we had been given a room that looked nothing like the picture on the internet. I was told that there were 3 types of this room (with the balcony and view of Catle) and they could not guarantee which one was allocated (did not get offered the room I thought I had booked). I asked about the free gift that was on my paperwork and yes you have guessed it - they didnt know anything about this offer and they said they would get it sorted. On return to the hotel we had a gift - a single box of chocolates not exactly what the booking confirmation had stated. The Hotel supply dressing gowns and slippers - beware the slippers are dangerous - it had started to rain on the first night (Thursday 7th November) and I went out to look at the view and there are stone flagstones on the balcony and yes I did turn and go flying across the balcony on my knees the slippers we were supplied are so shiny on the bottom I was an accident waiting to happen. My knee was bleeding like mad and the top layer of skin on knee was in a bit of a state. Reception staff did supply me with a couple of plasters and did ask if I wanted a First Aifer to look at it which I declined because they would have done the same as me stuck a couple of plasters onto it to stop it bleeding. Did not seem overley concerned that the flagstone on balcony were so slippy - we have torrential rain that night and we could not even go onto the balcony it had about 3inches of surface water where the drain was completely blocked with black silt. The Coffee machine that was also part of the package did not work at all - staff sent up somebody to look at it and they finally agreed that yes it was not working and would get us another machine - yep - no machines available so we had the offer of phoning down for coffe (which we didnt do). Machine still not exchanged the next day so that was another thing that was clearly not included in the package that I had booked. Just about asleep on the Friday night 8th Nov - and the fire alarm went off. My sister and I followed the signs to vacate the Hotel - down the back stone steps wherever we were. There was not ONE member of staff on the Fire Exit route when we vacated at the back of the building again NO STAFF, plus there only seemed to be a small handful of us that had actually followed the signage so we presumed the rest of the visitors had gone down the front staircase!!!! We walked round to the front of the building where the fire point was meant to be - NOT ONE member of staff was there, nobody checking to see if all the rooms that were occupied were empty. It was the Firebrigade that gave up the ok to go back into the Hotel and explained about the lift still not being re-set so was unavailable - NONE of the staff were in sight, which we found deeply disturbing. Fire Drill obviously does not get practised in this Hotel - it was appauling. Check out - member of staff asked how we were going to settle our newspaper bill - obviously your staff are not made aware of the different packages you sell as the newspapers were complimentary, which was pointed out to the resception staff - which she then checked on. The views were glorious but we did feel cheated of our "Luxury Hotel" offer that I paid a lot of money for plus our flights from England to Scotland - not a cheap weekend away and did expect better from this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann H
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this further with you to get more details. Please contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We have just returned from 2 nights at the Mercure as a party of 2 couples (4 adults) with 2 rooms booked. We booked this hotel after stumbling upon a good deal which included breakfast and also dinner on 1 night of our stay.

On arrival at check-in there seemed to be staff training going on as the girl serving us was being told what to say by the girl standing next to her. Not a problem but I felt they could have said something to explain it beforehand. We both (as in each couple) had rooms on the 4th floor which after reading reviews online, thankfully, were at the front of the building looking onto Princes St.

After checking out our room we were surprised at how small it was. I decided to pop along to the other couples room to comment on the smallness of the room to find their room was double the size of ours! We were all shocked at how much of a difference there was between the rooms. The rooms were both rather dated and tired looking which is a shame as due to the location this hotel has the potential to be great.

Onto dinner on our first night - the food was fine, however, I ordered a drink at the start of our meal and despite then asking for it 3 times I didn't actually receive it until I had finished my main and was waiting on dessert! The guy serving did apologise but I felt it's unacceptable to receive a drink at the end of the meal, they could have at least knocked the cost of the drink off the bill. Breakfast was ok too, nothing special.

My only other complaint would be on Friday night there was a fire alarm just after 11pm, luckily we were still out when it happened and arrived at the hotel when it was in the middle of being evacuated. Obviously, this is outwith the hotels control but as we had just arrived back we had no idea what was actually going on and there didn't appear to be any staff outside giving information. We decided to just leave and go for another drink, came back around half an hour later and the hotel was back to normal.

Overall, it's an ok hotel in an excellent location but I don't think I would return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottishgirl87

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to the Manager of the Restaurant in connection with your dinner to ensure this does not happen again. We hope you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion of us in the future.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we have used the Mercure to visit relations. We find it comfortable and conveniently close to Waverley Station. They couldn't offer us a room with a view over Princes St to the Castle but then wev'e seen it often enough. But of course we had it from the dining room at breakfast time. Excellent. One feature I like is that both of us get room and lift keys.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again and look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Mercure has a great location on Princes Street, only disadvantage is that the lobby is on the first (second floor to us in the US) and there are some steps to be negotiated before getting to the elevator - not a great start.

But from there on all is very good. Most Mercure hotels have established a good reputation for service and quatlity and I think this one keep up the tradition.

Accomodations were among the roomiest we had after a week in Scotland and the breakfast was as good as any we had in Scotland also. The beers at the bar are a little steep - but hey, it is in the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a street view - we could see Edinburgh Castle from our room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Well the location is PERFECT! And I cant stress this enough. Great location for bars, shopping, restaurants, easy walking to all tourist attractions (didn't need to use the public transport at all). Very short walk from the railway station, and I understand the airport express shuttle bus stops right outside.

However, the hotel was very tired. We booked 'castle view' rooms, we got 'brick wall view'.. I complained and managed to get the castle view, my friend couldn't be bothered with the fuss. Not a good start.

Anyway the bar was OK, not that expensive, but not the best choice in a hotel bar. It seems they have given up, it was an OAP paradise. At about 12noon when checking out we went into the bar/dining area (its all one) and it was like a OAPs outing, 100s of them. I don't know if they were all guests.

The bar and dining looked tired and dark gloomy walls and carpets (dark red) were quite depressing. Needs a freshen up!

We were offered a breakfast offer at check in of £10 a day, We accepted it stating we only wanted it for one day, and took it (it was a very good breakfast with Haggis as well- big plus for me). However upon checkout we were charged for both days. When queried the receptionist told us the £10 offer is only applicable when you take breakfast for every day of your stay! Obviously this wasn't made clear to us, when we requested it for only one day of our stay upon partaking of the offer. That was pretty poor.

The room was fine (castle view), large with sofa, tea and coffee paraphernalia, decent hot shower (over bath). Both the room and bathroom could do with a refresh, but certainly were acceptable.

However otherwise ALL staff polite. There was one manager on-loan to the hotel, from (I think) Leeds. He was the one who dealt with my room change when I was allocated the wrong room-type. He was VERY professional, courteous, and personal (upon bumping into me in the hotel would address me as Good morning Mr ********). Most of the staff were fault-less. The bar maid called LIDIA, was fantastic. She could predict what we wanted to drink based on what time we entered the bar, and brought it over to us. She was very very friendly and professional, an asset to the hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am please my team made your feel welcome and I am sorry about the issues you encountered on check in. I have spoken to the Front Office team to ensure this does not occur again in the future.
I hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Edinburgh again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed in room 568. Fab views across Princes St. Room was quite big and clean so no probs there. Unfortunately I am a light sleeper and M&S was next door, both mornings of our stay, at 5am they had deliveries at the front, right underneath our room!! I don't think being woken at 5 is acceptable and therefore wouldn't stay here again. I deliberately chose the front for the views!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the other end away from M&S!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on gm.mercureedinburgh@jupiterhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The view from the Princess St side are awesome, the views from side or back are non existent. I was staying in the upgraded room on the seventh floor after initially being at the back, hence knowledge of view. The shower dribbled water out. I then call down stairs and a gentlemen came up and was helpful but told me the plumbing was rubbish and there was no pressure. It wouldn't be fixed for at least 24 hours. This was true apparently 5-7 at least as my to colleagues were on five. This is known issue I was told at the restaurant. Rooms are run down as is the lounge and lobby. Service is good and friendly and they are honest about the conditions. however this place is in need of a complete renovation and make over head to top. I would not stay here if again if the room was free.

Room Tip: Try to get the front or better yet go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

James Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Hotel Indigo Edinburgh - Princes Street
#61 of 151 in Edinburgh
Travelodge Edinburgh Central Princes Street
New Town
Ibis Styles Edinburgh Centre St Andrew Square

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!