“Perfect location, worth the upgrade!”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #121 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Perfect location, worth the upgrade!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in an AMAZING location- the views are beautiful. We stayed for two nights in a privilege room on the 6th floor. We were very pleasantly surprised- not only did the room have a balcony but the bed was huge and very comfortable. We had an evening meal included in our package for the first night and you couldn't fault the food or service received in the restaurant. If I had to say anything 'bad' about this hotel then perhaps the breakfast could have been better and the reception staff could have been more proactive. However this did not affect our stay, and I would certainly return and recommend to others- having read other reviews on this hotel it would seem that an upgrade is worth the money.
Overall great location and even greater view!!

• Stayed November 2013
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our Privilege rooms to be comfortable. I have shared your comments with the team and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

James Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights great location, staff friendly and helpfull, breakfast was excellent my only gripe is the room you get is not like the one on the web although its clean enough but basic would i stay here again YES

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the staff made you feel welcome.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel on business. The location is great - about a 2 minute walk from the station, on all the major bus routes and 5 mins walk away from the main shopping areas.

The staff are polite and attentive and service is generally very good. Food is also very good and the restaurant overlooks the castle which is quite nice. The hotel itself though is looking like it really needs some refurbishment. Whilst everything is clean, it looks dated and in need of some modernisation.

Rooms are just the sort of size that you would expect for an older city centre hotel. Certainly not cramped, but 'compact'.

What was a little off-putting for my stay was the fire alarm going off on the last night. When they eventually let everyone back into the bar (but nowhere else) the bar remained closed and the fire alarm sounders were left going for nearly an hour, which was quite unpleasant. The staff didn’t seem to know what has happening, although the next day we were informed that they couldn't get hold of a member of staff a key (they didn't answer the phone) for and so the fire brigade had to break down a door....

Some investment and renovation of this hotel would make it one of the best ones in Edinburgh

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you by the evacuation. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a superior room with a castle view. The room is nice with good facilities such as coffee machine, robes and slippers. Check in was quick and easy. We used room service a couple of times, service was efficient with good quality food.
However we did have a few issues with our stay. The first evening we was woken up at 2am with the fire alarm and had to evacuate. The following morning we had no water in the room most of the day, which was very inconvenient and unfortunately the staff on reception didn't know what was really happening and weren't very helpful. Later that day the duty manger Billy came to see us about our problems earlier. He was pleasure to deal with and very apologetic about the issues we had as well as assuring us that he would look after us during the remainder of our stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read about the issues you encountered during your stay. I hope these have not marred your impression of the Mercure Edinburgh and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hervey Bay
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My friend and I booked a twin room. Maybe that was a mistake. There was barely room to walk around the beds. Two desk areas but nowhere to put the suitcase. The view, looking out over Princes St and at the castle was magnificent. But that is the only good thing about the room. The beds were, bar none, the worst hotel beds I have ever used. I can't say slept in, because the bed was so uncomfortable (it felt like one was lying on bare springs) I got no sleep the first night. I ordered extra blankets and slept on top of the bedding to get any degree of comfort on the second night. Ate a meal in the restaurant. Food and service were good. Also ate breakfast at the hotel each morning. My friend ate buffet and was happy with her meals. I chose from the menu and the food was excellent. Would I stay there again? Only if they greatly improve the beds.

Room Tip: Room with castle view is good. Check the standard of the bed before accepting room.