“Great location terrible accessibility”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #124 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel has tired fabric and furnishing and uncontrollable room heating but attentive and friendly staff.
The hotel is very well situated in the heart of the city but has no access for unloading luggage from private vehicles and no advance warning of this was communicated during the booking process nor was information on the concessionary parking recommended by the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am sorry you found accessing the hotel difficult, but we do have full details of parking and how to access the hotel on our website. I will share with the team you comments and I am please you found the staff to be friendly and attentive.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Due to the bad weather across the country on Thursday 05/12 I was unable to make my booking, I called to cancel and was told I wouldn't be entitled to any refund and was shown no sympathy from who I spoke with.

Given this treatment I wouldn't use Mercure going forward.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Andrew M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you were disappointed in the way your enquiry was handled. Due to different reservation having different terms and conditions some are non refundable or transferable and we are limited in what action we can take.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed on Halloween, had a lovely room with a view, however had a disturbed night from late night revellers on the street below.
Breakfast was plentiful and good quality however tables and cutlery could have been cleaner. Service was adequate.
Perfect location, right in the centre of princes street and lovely views of the castle.
Enjoyed our stay in Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have noted your comments and will address these with the Food and Beverage team.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had chosen an Accor Brand Hotel because I am a LeClub member: never have I been so disappointed by a hotel. The only good thing about it is its position, right in the center of Edinburgh on Princes Street, close to both the Old and the New town and withing walking distance of almost any tourist attraction.

When I first booked I asked for a room with a view, which I did not get (and don't get me wrong, I find that perfectly reasonable even though I had booked my stay in mid-September, room assignment is not up to me!), but what I found most disappointing was that nobody at the reception seemed to have acknowledged my request, they acted as if I had asked nothing and when we complained for such behaviour the only thing they did was repeatedly offering an (expensive) upgrade.

Apart from the unpleasant view (our room, being also on the 2nd floor, faced some kind of rear fans from the M&S air conditiong system/luckily it was winter and a.c. was off), our room was small and filthy: one of our towels was already dirty when we got there and despite our leaving it nowhere near the towel rack, it was never changed during our stay, and both the bedroom and the bathroom floor really needed cleaning. We could have easlily forgotten about the lack of view, had the room been nice and clean, but there was even barely enough room to move around, and the room didn't look anything like the picture posted on the website. I understand that being the hotel an old building rooms could be different one another, but perhaps pictures of the less beautiful rooms should be posted as well...
Whenever we opened the window, the most unpleasant smell came into our room.

On top of all, the staff was really unpleasant: apart from the apparently nice lady who greeted us the first day, we had the pleasure to meet the most unkind and uncaring staff ever (see room upgrade mentioned above). On the morning of our last day, having been told the previous night that checkout would be at 12, we came back to the hotel at 11.20 only to find that our keys were not working anymore. When we asked the receptionist why was that she insisted on telling us that we had kept them too close to our phones (note that we had kept them separate, I kept mine in my jacket while the phone was in my bag: is that too close? Sure...). Since reading the hotel reviews I knew I was not the only one having this kind of problem, I might guess that not everyone leaving past 10 accidentally erases their key-cards on their very last day...this is only a wild guess, though!

Should you be thinking of booking a room at this hotel, I advise you to look elsewhere: maybe spend a little more money, but choose a better place to stay!

Room Tip: Book a superior room, that would still be a small one, but at least it has a view on Princes Street
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chrysopeleia

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed during your recent stay with us. Upon reading your feedback I can assure you that I will investigate your points with the team and take action where appropriate.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our first experience with staff was great but after that any interaction seemed to be an impediment to their day.
Yes the hotel is older but it is still quite reasonable our room was a good size but no view other than of the rear fire escape.
Shower water was just warm over the three days. The shower was over a bath and did have extra hand holds which was good
Bar staff had no knowledge of their product range, could not make a basic margarita cocktail.
No we won't be back. There must be better hotels. And given the many reasons Accor promote their Le Club membership but here it does not seem to mean much

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and to read that you will not return. We strive to provide a superior service and my sincere apologies we did not achieve this on this occasion.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

It is true that this Mercure is older, but it is far from shabby. We had a very nice room overlooking Princes Street, which meant that we could see both Edinburgh Castle and the lights of the Christmas fair across the street. Our room (a triple with three single beds) was clean and quiet, and we slept well. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant, and the buffet was good, but not as bountiful as some others we had on the trip. The location is wonderful, and for dinner we recommend Twenty Princes Street, a small restaurant in a different hotel, about two blocks from the Mercure. The staff were polite and helpful. Recommended.

Room Tip: The view from the Princes Street rooms is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EliseAnnW
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

When booking my stay, I put in a special request to have a front facing room with a castle view. I understand that it all comes down to availability, but I was particularly annoyed when I drew back the curtains to see staff in the store 10 yards away eating there lunch and peering straight into my room beyond the fire escape stairs. The room was also very cramped and in desperate need of a makeover.

We were then able to move to the floor above where, again, the view was terrible, but at least it wasn't a view shared with the staff next door. The room was slightly more spacious, but had no air-conditioning, no ironing board, and a couple of the light bulbs in the fitting were dead.

Furthermore, directly outside our room were doors that went to the lift and stairs. After being opened, these doors then SLAMMED shut and shook our whole room!

On departure (granted, it was 5:30am so tiredness could be forgiven), we checked out with a male receptionist who looked like he wanted to be anywhere else in the world. He literally said nothing except "all done" at the end, before turning his back on us and disappearing.

Everything about the stay was very poor, except for the location which was perfect for us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We do strive to ensure guest satisfaction and my apologies that we did not achieve this on your visit.