“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #121 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

On the 7th May, my friend and I stayed at this hotel; I had previously stayed at a Mecure hotel in Paris with my boyfriend last year so I expected a similuar hotel... But I was wrong. This was the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in!!

Our room number was 446, it was a twin room and it was horrific! The hotel room and hotel seriously needs modernising, out hotel room did not have a view it over looked the back of M&S but we weren't bothered about that, what we was bothered about was the fact that our bathroom door wouldn't close, it was stuck and no matter how hard your pushed or pulled it would not close! There was dust EVERYWHERE, and the carpet was beyond filthy. The bathroom was in a weird position, the flooring was coming up but the worst part was the bath, it was falling apart and you could see the filth there! On the first day we tried to have a shower and the water was barley warm yet the sink was pouring out hot water!! The bathroom was vile, there was mould on then flooring, shower head, window and mirror!! The worst part though was the ceiling (which you will see in the photo gallery as I will be posting it). Part of the ceiling was damp and it was a massive section with cracks! The walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING, we could ever hear then lift even though we were round the corner at the very end of the rooms! I have to say I was utterly disappointed with this hotel, we never received our gift on arrival as promised when we booked, the maid obviously doesn't do a good job because she never hoovered and we know this because we left some rubbish on the floor and it was still there when we came back! The hotel staff arent friendly at all, only one man on the reception desk who offered to help with our bags but other than that this was a truly terrible and disappointing hotel and I will be thinking twice now when choosing to stay at a mecure hotel and I definitely won't be coming back to this one! I can't stress enough how disgusting this hotel was and I'm shocked it even passed it's inspections, clearly they never inspected our room and I have seen street toilets better than our room! Full of dust and mould, damp with a draft and beds were solid like sleeping on bricks! I suffer with lower back pain and when I woke up from the first night I was in agony. Please shop around for hotels because this one is truly s***! The worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank GranthamGirl19
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 017gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk to discuss this further.

James Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Mercure Edinburgh, is a clean modern very friendly, welcoming hotel, on princes street. Staff always attentive nothing is too much trouble. Problem with bathroom promptly and efficiently rectified, and with good humour. Food and restaurant excellent I recommend this hotel for visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased your enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel reception is quite cramped on the 1st floor of the building and there's a general feeling of a hotel that's seen better days (who puts carpet on doors these days?) but the views are what this hotel is all about.

I had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the Scott Memorial but I could just as easily look out on the castle.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of Princes St but be aware there is a LOT of bus traffic from early morning till l...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

i live just outside edinburgh, and had some relatives visiting from canada. i arranged to meet them for afternoon tea in the dining area overlooking the gardens. there were 6 of us in the party, and i had already booked, and had some vouchers. the price was £12 per couple with the vouchers. the table they gave us was leather topped, but was very worn in places, no table cloth. a waiter came for a drinks order before the sandwiches and cakes. they only brought 2 cake stands for 6 people. some of the sandwiches were a bit dry. when i asked for the bill, the total was £83. they charged £23 for 3 glasses of white wine, £9.45 for 2 bottles of cider. when i asked them about it, they reduced it to £77, which i thought was still very expensive for what we got. wil l not be going there again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank john w
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Castlebar
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

When arriving at the hotel I was very pleased with the location right in the centre of the main princes street. At reception we were greeted by two lovely members of staff but that's where the greatness stopped. We were informed they could not accommodate a castle view room for us, which we accepted fine as not everyone can have one, but the room we were given was tiny!!! You wouldn't swing a cat in it! And although it was clean the bathroom really needed an overhaul. We were also shocked at how much you could hear from adjoining rooms. The food in the hotel was very nice, while the seating in the restaurant could really do with replacing every seat we were given over out three night stay was worn shabby and dirty with stains.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is great for location, 3 minutes short straight walk to Waverley. We were off the train, checked in and up in the Castle within the hour : )
Staff are lovely and when we asked to leave our luggage on the last day before the train in the evening they were very helpful and have storage facilities.
Food was lovely at breakfast the usual breakfast sort. The view is facing the lovely princes street park and the castle.
The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Bed is nice and overall a warmly hotel.
You can ask for a view facing the royal mile which is the street leading to Holyroodhouse and the castle and this hotel well it's such a ideal location. Can hear the bagpipes faintly playing in the afternoon too it's great.
Would highly recommend this place if you are like me, exploring and appreciate value for money. This was way under priced : ) I am not complaining.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind Regards