“Location great, tired hotel, hard work sleeping with building work”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #124 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed in several Mercure hotels previously. This time I was staying with family, having told them you could rely on the Mercure hotel brand - it would be clean, modern and pleasant. I was astonished at how worn-out the whole place is, from the filthy public-access computer in the lobby to the old bathroom fittings. I was woken at 7.40am by the sound of loud drilling overhead - the entire floor above is being converted from conference facilities to more bedrooms - when I reported this to the receptionist she told me that 'the manager was up there and couldn't hear a thing'. Nice response. I asked for a room move and got it, but no apology for the lost sleep or the stupidity of having builders work noisily in a central Edinburgh hotel at that hour. The next morning other family members were woken by extraordinary noises from staff in a storeroom next door at midnight, then again by the builders at 7.30am. After alerting the hotel staff to this they were offered complimentary breakfasts for the party and a slight reduction on the room rate. And a move to another room. All good - but why on this earth is a major hotel chain allowing any of this to take place?
As I say, the place is badly in need of a renovation from top to toe - the hotel is scruffy everywhere you look. It's not particularly dirty, certainly not in the parts that matter, but it compares poorly with all other Mercure hotels I have stayed in.
Now let's just wait for the bland copy/paste 'we care' response to this from 'James H', the manager...

Room Tip: Ask to be away from major building work.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns with us. I have noted your comments in relation to noise from the refurbishment works and I have spoken to the contractors and the team.
We are undergoing a refurbishment currently and am sorry this impacted your stay.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

James Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to begin with this hotel to be honest. Me and my friend chose this hotel as she had stayed in a Mercure hotel in Paris and said it was excellent! This hotel on the other hand was appalling!
When you first enter the hotel there are a few large marble like steps which are extremely difficult to climb if you have luggage! There is no one there to help either!
When we had checked in and got to our room we had high expectations as a hotel is supposed to be a luxury away from home, this certainly was not. We were in room 446. The carpet had not been hoovered, the ceiling was stained, sagging and looked damp! There were stains and hairs on the mattress protector! The wardrobe and lights were covered in a thick layer of dust. When using the kettle the result was plastic tasting and disgusting! The whole room was very dated and in need of an urgent revamp! The beds were so hard, we may as well have slept on the floor, this was no good for my friend with her bad back either! The bathroom was just as bad. The flooring was coming away from the side of the bath, the floor flooded when you used the shower and there was mould on the ceiling, not to mention the mirror was filthy. The bathroom door didn't even close never mind lock! No matter how hard we tried to push it or pull it! The view was a shame but that didn't particularly bother us! We could hear everything our neighbours across the hall were doing and in the bathroom next to us which I'm assuming was a shared bathroom! We could also hear the lift which was right down the hall and around the corner!
The only ok thing about this hotel was the breakfast and the view from the restaurant looking out at the castle! There was a wide selection of food on offer but this didn't make up for the state of our room! The location was ideal too but I would not step foot inside this hotel again if you paid me! What an absolute disappointment! Completely unacceptable! The staff weren't much better either. Disgraceful! Do not stay here! Avoid avoid avoid! We didn't let this shocking hotel ruin our stay in our favourite city, but we will know in future to head back to the George hotel where we stayed last year! Or any other hotel except this one for that matter! Not impressed in the slightest! We also never received our "welcome gift" it's likely we wouldn't want it anyway this hotel made us feel in no way welcome!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank GemmaW06

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 017gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk].

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

On the 7th May, my friend and I stayed at this hotel; I had previously stayed at a Mecure hotel in Paris with my boyfriend last year so I expected a similuar hotel... But I was wrong. This was the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in!!

Our room number was 446, it was a twin room and it was horrific! The hotel room and hotel seriously needs modernising, out hotel room did not have a view it over looked the back of M&S but we weren't bothered about that, what we was bothered about was the fact that our bathroom door wouldn't close, it was stuck and no matter how hard your pushed or pulled it would not close! There was dust EVERYWHERE, and the carpet was beyond filthy. The bathroom was in a weird position, the flooring was coming up but the worst part was the bath, it was falling apart and you could see the filth there! On the first day we tried to have a shower and the water was barley warm yet the sink was pouring out hot water!! The bathroom was vile, there was mould on then flooring, shower head, window and mirror!! The worst part though was the ceiling (which you will see in the photo gallery as I will be posting it). Part of the ceiling was damp and it was a massive section with cracks! The walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING, we could ever hear then lift even though we were round the corner at the very end of the rooms! I have to say I was utterly disappointed with this hotel, we never received our gift on arrival as promised when we booked, the maid obviously doesn't do a good job because she never hoovered and we know this because we left some rubbish on the floor and it was still there when we came back! The hotel staff arent friendly at all, only one man on the reception desk who offered to help with our bags but other than that this was a truly terrible and disappointing hotel and I will be thinking twice now when choosing to stay at a mecure hotel and I definitely won't be coming back to this one! I can't stress enough how disgusting this hotel was and I'm shocked it even passed it's inspections, clearly they never inspected our room and I have seen street toilets better than our room! Full of dust and mould, damp with a draft and beds were solid like sleeping on bricks! I suffer with lower back pain and when I woke up from the first night I was in agony. Please shop around for hotels because this one is truly s***! The worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank GranthamGirl19

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 017gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk to discuss this further.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Mercure Edinburgh, is a clean modern very friendly, welcoming hotel, on princes street. Staff always attentive nothing is too much trouble. Problem with bathroom promptly and efficiently rectified, and with good humour. Food and restaurant excellent I recommend this hotel for visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind review. I am pleased your enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel reception is quite cramped on the 1st floor of the building and there's a general feeling of a hotel that's seen better days (who puts carpet on doors these days?) but the views are what this hotel is all about.

I had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the Scott Memorial but I could just as easily look out on the castle.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of Princes St but be aware there is a LOT of bus traffic from early morning till l...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed 7 May 2014