“One of life's bad choices”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #125 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Sometimes good plans go awry. This was the case this time. My fault, I should have researched a little more. Basically their reception told me half truths and lied by omission. I was not a happy traveler so my review may be a little biased. That's what happens when they don't provide the service or information that their customers want.
There is no drop off point at he hotel so you have to struggle with your bags from some convenient point either illegally in the back lane 200 yards away or from the Waverley railway station car park about 1000 yards away. Alright for some but if you are on a walking stick or disabled forget it. On checkin the receptionist was rude and unhelpful. We were told our reservation had been cancelled at 2 PM because we had not used a credit card to guarantee the booking. As a silver/gold member of the accor club I do not need to do that. We we're eventually give rooms and proceeded to check them out. A small boxlike room, desperately in need of refurbishment. It had an iron, ironing board and trouser press's in the room but no where to store the suitcases. It also had a safe and hairdrier.. The bathroom was clean but only just so. It needed a real good clean or refurbishment, the grouting was deeply stained from soap scum,the shower was in the bath, you had to be careful stepping in and out, I slipped getting out myself - luckily I didn't hurt myself.
The service in the bar and at breakfast was average, there was nothing outstanding about it, but it was not bad, just average.
Conclusions
There are better options nearby or up near the royal mile. It is handy if you are a young traveller with limited luggage and travelling by train, however the cost of the hotel given it's short comings does not represent value for money.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Captain_Cook49
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review, We are currently dealing with your notes sent via Email.

Kind regards,

James Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (2,439)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed last week for 3 nights on our first visit to Edinburgh. The hotel is very conveniently located especially if you arrived by train as we did. It is also convenient for the shops (m& S is next door) the old town and for any bus tours or local buses.

We emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a view of the castle and were very happy that our request was met, our room was on the 5th floor and had a fantastic view. The room was quite modern but the bathroom was looking tired, however everything worked and it was very clean. The bed was comfy and the bed linen and towels were excellent quality.

All the hotel staff were very friendly, and the breakfast was good.

Many other rewiewers have mentioned noise due to the hotel being refurbished. We did hear noise but only in a morning and it was after we had woken up, we never heard any noise at night.

If we were to return to Edinburgh I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Arrived 9th May till 12th May, room fine. Beds comfy. Bathroom door did not shut but two sisters so no worries. Staff friendly. Sunday roast lovely. Would go back. Work did indeed start very early Monday morning but since other reviewers are mentioning it, yes the place could do with a refurb which they are obviously doing so no complaints there either. All good and so close to bhs, m&s, debenhams, jenners etc not to mention the fab pubs in Rose St..... the very centre of Edinburgh, location is great.

Stayed: May 2014
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued kind feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Right from entering the premises you will notice that this Hotel is old and not should that be an issue but even the refurbished parts look old and run down. The hotel had all the services required for a 2 night stay close to the center of Edinburgh. I stayed on the side facing Princess Street and the view is good from the room. If you are light sleeper I would suggest a room on the opposite side and though you would sacrifice the view it can get noisy during the night as there is a night bus stop right outside the premises. The beds provided fair comfort and the bedding felt clean and fresh. The bathroom reflected the age of the property and we had difficulty with the shower. The water took a while to heat up (honestly took over 5 minutes on the first use) which isn't a big issue.

The free WiFi worked as required and the offered speed let a quick Skype call progress with little effects on quality. The restaurant and bar facilities downstairs lack variety and the food quality was average. Do not take the option to have the buffet breakfast downstairs as it was extremely overpriced for both the quality and variety of the food. There are some great options in the area for food though so you would not be stuck.

We had mixed experiences with the staff. Overall they were friendly and available to assist with requests. We did have one experience with a staff member on reception. We had friends flying in from another county and asked if they would not mind giving us a call when they check in (as they didn't have a local phone as yet), other than saying "no sir we can not offer that service" we got the response "there is a payphone in the corner, they can use that" in a manner that suggested that we were asking a unreasonable request...maybe we were.

Overall this hotels location is fantastic. Though I would not look to return, I would not overly advise against staying here....just don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Facing the street is loud but if you must have that view of the castle, take that side
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben G
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I have noted the comments you have made. Please be assured that I will investigate these and act appropriately.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed in several Mercure hotels previously. This time I was staying with family, having told them you could rely on the Mercure hotel brand - it would be clean, modern and pleasant. I was astonished at how worn-out the whole place is, from the filthy public-access computer in the lobby to the old bathroom fittings. I was woken at 7.40am by the sound of loud drilling overhead - the entire floor above is being converted from conference facilities to more bedrooms - when I reported this to the receptionist she told me that 'the manager was up there and couldn't hear a thing'. Nice response. I asked for a room move and got it, but no apology for the lost sleep or the stupidity of having builders work noisily in a central Edinburgh hotel at that hour. The next morning other family members were woken by extraordinary noises from staff in a storeroom next door at midnight, then again by the builders at 7.30am. After alerting the hotel staff to this they were offered complimentary breakfasts for the party and a slight reduction on the room rate. And a move to another room. All good - but why on this earth is a major hotel chain allowing any of this to take place?
As I say, the place is badly in need of a renovation from top to toe - the hotel is scruffy everywhere you look. It's not particularly dirty, certainly not in the parts that matter, but it compares poorly with all other Mercure hotels I have stayed in.
Now let's just wait for the bland copy/paste 'we care' response to this from 'James H', the manager...

Room Tip: Ask to be away from major building work.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns with us. I have noted your comments in relation to noise from the refurbishment works and I have spoken to the contractors and the team.
We are undergoing a refurbishment currently and am sorry this impacted your stay.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to begin with this hotel to be honest. Me and my friend chose this hotel as she had stayed in a Mercure hotel in Paris and said it was excellent! This hotel on the other hand was appalling!
When you first enter the hotel there are a few large marble like steps which are extremely difficult to climb if you have luggage! There is no one there to help either!
When we had checked in and got to our room we had high expectations as a hotel is supposed to be a luxury away from home, this certainly was not. We were in room 446. The carpet had not been hoovered, the ceiling was stained, sagging and looked damp! There were stains and hairs on the mattress protector! The wardrobe and lights were covered in a thick layer of dust. When using the kettle the result was plastic tasting and disgusting! The whole room was very dated and in need of an urgent revamp! The beds were so hard, we may as well have slept on the floor, this was no good for my friend with her bad back either! The bathroom was just as bad. The flooring was coming away from the side of the bath, the floor flooded when you used the shower and there was mould on the ceiling, not to mention the mirror was filthy. The bathroom door didn't even close never mind lock! No matter how hard we tried to push it or pull it! The view was a shame but that didn't particularly bother us! We could hear everything our neighbours across the hall were doing and in the bathroom next to us which I'm assuming was a shared bathroom! We could also hear the lift which was right down the hall and around the corner!
The only ok thing about this hotel was the breakfast and the view from the restaurant looking out at the castle! There was a wide selection of food on offer but this didn't make up for the state of our room! The location was ideal too but I would not step foot inside this hotel again if you paid me! What an absolute disappointment! Completely unacceptable! The staff weren't much better either. Disgraceful! Do not stay here! Avoid avoid avoid! We didn't let this shocking hotel ruin our stay in our favourite city, but we will know in future to head back to the George hotel where we stayed last year! Or any other hotel except this one for that matter! Not impressed in the slightest! We also never received our "welcome gift" it's likely we wouldn't want it anyway this hotel made us feel in no way welcome!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank GemmaW06

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. I would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact me on 017gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk].

Kind regards,