“It worked for us...”

Ranked #120 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“It worked for us...”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked this hotel for 3 nights via an email offer and had a second thought about checking it out - I assumed Mercure would be a reasonable standard no matter where and didn't like what I read on trip advisor! However, we had a great stay here. You cannot fault the location. Double balcony room looking onto Princes Street. Yes it's noisy but this is a city! Nothing different to any other hotel offering rooms onto a main street in a busy city but air con is needed though. The hotel is tired in places but I didn't see anything that was a problem for me. Bed comfy, clean sheets ,spotless towels, presentable and clean bathroom. Breakfast was good on choice and quality served in a spacious dining area. ..but where was the haggis..??? We had this stay for a great price and everything was good so I am a happy customer!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie G
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope you stay with us again in the future.

James Fraser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel has a very good, central location which was great for the purpose of my stay. I booked this hotel as it was one of the few that offered wheelchair access. It also is within pushing distance (just!) from Waverly station. Upon arrival I was confronted with a step; not too much trouble for me as I was travelling with family but had I been a solo traveller I’d have been stuck. Once that step had been negotiated there were yet more steps inside but these were served by a chairlift that proudly displayed an out of order sign. By chance a staff member was coming down the stairs from reception, and he gave us a very steep ramp. Up that and in the lift led to a tired reception with unfriendly staff. This short break had been booked NINE MONTHS previous and asked for an adapted room (there are FOUR in the entire hotel) but the hotel hadn’t booked me in, they had to shuffle people around to accommodate me, and the requested (also nine months ago) room next door. We were also very hungry having only had a small bite on the train so we asked for their afternoon tea or something like it to eat in our rooms, only to be told a flat no. Later we found room service menu in our room.
Rooms - room 375: My door wasn’t wide enough for my chair to get through, so I had to stand and hold on to the wall for dear life to get in, and the bathroom door was only just wide enough. The view from my window was Edinburg’s finest pipes and crap, and the windows barely cracked, consequently it was uncomfortably hot. A fan was provided, but air con needed. Windows could not be left open at night due to the very loud noise from aforementioned crap. Plenty of room to manoeuvre a chair around though. Bed comfy, pillows fine, sheets clean.
Bathroom: Odd angle of entry but manageable. Grab rails in good condition and plenty of them. The seat on the shower chair was quite badly stained and the towels were more grey than white. The knobs on the shower were broken and the flow of water rather feeble.
Food and drink/dining room: The large windows made the most of the lovely views outside, it’s just a pity inside wasn’t as pretty - very worn, almost threadbare, carpets, stretched so they’re lumpy and bumpy, not good for wheeling over. Our first night there we dined in the hotel. I really enjoyed my food and the portions were generous. But £25 for a bottle of wine? And not very good wine at that. Breakfast was disappointing, NOT full Scottish as advertised, or even full English for that matter. Full English is served with black pudding. Full Scottish has haggis and potato scones. I was disappointed as I wanted the full Scottish experience. Nevertheless what was there was OK, although the toaster barely warmed the bread, the danishes were dry and the scrambled egg was 80% water. The staff were all to quick to whip your plates away, even if there were full cups of tea/apple juice on the table!
Even though this was only a short break, I’d have expected the chairlift to have been a priority, especially as the hotel is advertised as having disabled friendly facilities AND a disabled guest staying at the time, although I realise watching guests struggle with the ramp is quite amusing.
The hotel also has free wifi, but for a decent speed you need to pay.
In summary, could do better…much better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Kind regards,
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Fab hotel very central to get around we had a castle view room which was a bonus lovely choice of breakfast staff polite ,afternoon tea was good value, free wifi an enjoyable break with my best friend celebrating our birthdays! Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

southampton
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel worked fine for a weekend. Arrived by train, and Waverley station is just across the road. Tram and bus stops are also convenient for getting back to the airport. The hotel ticks the boxes ie clean, comfy, central location, OK food, and the room we booked had a good view over Princes Street to the Castle, but you can't get away from the fact that the interior is a bit tired and is a cross between an 80's nightclub and a motorway service station - no character at all. The 'free movies' offer didn't work out, as the satellite TV wasn't working, despite swapping the TV for another one, but they did knock the price of a round of sandwiches and a couple of drinks off the bill to compensate, so not a big deal. For a couple of nights as a base to see the main tourist attractions, it does the job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.
Kind regards,
Warrenville, Illinois
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was clean, and the bed comfortable. Room was very nice looking. Was kind of warm, and no Air Conditioning. They did provide a fan. The room we had had a beautiful view of the castle.

The street the hotel is on is very noisy (Princes), and not available for driving in a car (only bus and taxi). The hotel has no parking. For a price you can buy parking nearby. We parked a couple of blocks away in public parking - 3 hour max, but after 6:30 is free and no max time.
We wheeled our luggage from there to the hotel.

The room had a king size bed, and that was very comfortable. The room had a nice table to work at. However the space between table and bed was only enough to barely slide through sideways. They had power outlets above the table, but not far enough above to plug things in without pulling out the table. The bathroom had a mirror with an embedded clock. The clock seemed to shut off with the lights, and hence the time was never correct. There was no light above the mirror, making it difficult to see what I was shaving.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I have noted your comments about the room and will discuss these with the maintenance team. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Stbalbans
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Lovely room on the 7th floor with a double balcony overlooking the town. Unfortunately the large wheel obscured the view. Not sure if this is a permanent fixture.
The room was clean and comfortable. Very large bed, small table and chairs, a sofa and a flat screen TV. Bathroom with bath and shower over. The negatives, very noisy vent in the bathroom and no air con. This meant that we had to leave the window open as it was so hot. It the noise from outside kept us awake all night.
Breakfast was not as good as we had hoped. Badly organised and the staff just could not work as part of a team. Didn't get our coffee and one waiter sat a couple down at a table which not only was covered in dirty plates but was still being used - the couple had gone to get more food.
Put the do not disturb sign on the door and as I sat on the bed the door opened and in walked the maid. I didn't even get an apology. Felt quite vulnerable at this point as I could not understand why she had entered the room even though the sign was on ! (Worrying)

Room Tip: Don't get a castle view room if you are staying in the summer unless you can sleep with the cons...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I will address the points you have raised with the team and apologise that these occurred during your stay.
I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We arrived late but were greeted by friendly staff, offered breakfast at a discounted price. Room was with a view of the castle and Christmas fayre. Unfortunately we were not informed that there was a Christmas work party on the night we arrived and went on till late which we weren't impressed with. On further inspection of room we found dirty dishes and blood on the curtains and on informing receptionist were merely given 'we will let the cleaners know'
Other than that, big (2 singles pushed together) comfortable bed, location and price. Breakfast was well needed next day and very tasty.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrslucas09
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. i am sorry to read of the issue you encountered and will address this with the team.
I hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.