“very good location”

Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Ranked #122 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Family of three stayed for two nights in August 2014. The location is outstanding close to the Scott Monument and Princes Street Gardens at Princes Street. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacy and clean. The breakfast was very good. I would surely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank norwegia
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had a fine stay here. It's right across from the Sir Walter Scott Memorial downtown Edinburgh so in a very good location.
My room was fine / clean. The only concern I had - it took me a few minutes to figure out my lock to my balcony. I was tempted to just leave it open (I was 8 storeys up after all) but then realized - anyone from one of the rooms on the same floor could access my room. So - I hastily figured out my lock and made sure to lock it again. Minor deal - but I didn't like that others in neighbouring rooms could walk to my room (with my door locked). It bothered me in terms of privacy - I felt that I had to put things away (pajamas, medication and make sure that drapes were closed even for me to nap.
Otherwise I had no concerns with this hotel. It probably - on reflection (I was there a month ago already and my memory is fading) probably would have said it was a little tired (carpets for instance) but otherwise it was totally fine. I'd stay here again. I loved the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katharina291
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The basics (for me): temperature; noise; bed; shower; breakfast; service.
Temperature: major fail - stayed in August (for the fringe) and corridor air was hot, heavy and stale. Worse still, inside the room was exactly the same if not worse. Not helped by "Towel radiator" batting out volcanic heat with no means of control. Don't bother packing any nightwear or even think about the duvet. Room desperately needs an air-con and/or oxygen cylinder.
Noise: very quiet. Had a room at the back of the hotel on the 6th floor and was very quiet except for (#irony) the fans from air conditioners in the surrounding buildings - essential to have the windows open though.
Bed: firm but comfortable.
Shower: nothing more than adequate. Small bathroom but clean enough.
Breakfast: pretty good, buffet service. nice bacon.
Service: Check in desk girl very pleasant, but had to wait a while: lots of (lengthy) tourist queries handled there. Breakfast service adaquate.

Given the crazy fringe prices being charged for this room, very very poor value. Only plus side was that it was a great location on Princes Street: walkable to the Fringe centre on the Royal Mile without being part of the mayhem. Tram stop for airport a couple of minutes walk.

Room Tip: (For summer stays) I would guess a lower floor might not have the heat rising through the hotel that...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bob M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and I will look in to the issues you have raised.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have travelled to lots of places all over the world. It’s tired and dirty, this is not an exaggeration, and as a Scot who was born not far from the hotel, I was ashamed of the premises, lots of guests at breakfast had the same opinion. For £160.00 for one night in what is no more than a box room is disgraceful. They had the cheek to write to me and say that the rate was compatible with other hotels in Edinburgh and maybe the rate is what you would expect from an Edinburgh hotel at that time of the year bit for a box room it is way over priced.
I would never recommend it to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the castle, its the only good thing about the hotel
1  Thank DeckYork
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I believe we have communicated on this directly.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a great location and friendly helpful staff. Now the negatives, smoking area was main doorway from Princes Street... stinks, room needed decorations and replacement furniture. TV was a joke, limited to 4/5 channels and ancient remote technology. Had to ask for mattress cover to be fitted (which was done quickly and apology received). Expensive at £200 per night for double room with breakfast, given above. Unlikely to recommend to family/friends and unlikely to stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and I will investigate your comments.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with this Hotel.The location from the Railway Station was a pleasant walk up Princess Street. The Staff were exceptional. When we got to our room we were surprised there was no air conditioning, however, once we opened the windows the room did cool down quite a bit. The next morning we stored our luggage in the luggage room of the hotel and had a great day in Edinburgh.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

James Fraser

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Hotel Indigo Edinburgh - Princes Street
#61 of 151 in Edinburgh
Travelodge Edinburgh Central Princes Street
New Town
Ibis Styles Edinburgh Centre St Andrew Square

Been to Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel? Share your experiences!