Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
  • Room Service
US$144
US$134
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$276
  • Bar/Lounge
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$142
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$193
US$148
  • Room Service
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
Malmaison Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$116
Hotels.com
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$126
US$115
US$107
Hotels.com
2,545 results
All reviewsprinces streetscott monumentprivilege roomcastle viewwaverley stationchristmas marketexcellent locationbit datedsuperior roomcentral locationfew minutes walkshort breaklovely roomroyal milehaggisjennersbuses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Booked in for 1 night as my daughter had an open day at university and we wanted to do a recce of Edinburgh.
When checking in the receptionist was extremely unhelpful and had quite an unfriendly attitude. We attempted to check in twice and were told that our room was not ready and we would have to wait.
The place is very dowdy, particularly the lounge/dining area.
Our room had been recently refurbished but both single beds had the worst mattresses I have ever seen resulting in sore backs for us both. The view from our room was of a large boiler flu which made a dreadful noise all night. I didn't sleep at all and my daughter only had a couple of hours in total.
There was no hand wash or soap in the bathroom so the shower gel had to be used.
On a brighter note the breakfast wasn't bad thus the score of 1.
When checking out I wasn't asked how our stay was - which may have been a good thing as a rant would have been on the cards!
I'll be back to wonderful Edinburgh but will avoid this hotel and would advise others to do the same.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank klboyle62
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

When I made the reservation I knew this was a 3-star hotel. It's an old hotel which has been "modernized" at some point. But not recently. Overall, the hotel just appears very tired. You feel it the minute you enter the lobby. Quality of carpet, furnishings etc. similar to what you'd find in Best Western. Don't expect fine linens or other amenities. Only place we stayed in the Scotland which did not have duvets. Only one electrical outlet in our room, and on the desk - on far side of room - from the bed where I like to keep my iPHone plugged in. Surprisingly, the shower had excellent temperature and pressure controls.

Since we were paying 5-star rates, I had hoped for a little bit more. Our twin room was nearly $500 for one night during the Festival. My advice: Don't pay extra for the Castle view. Contrary to the impression created by the on-line pictures, the Castle is not right across the street. It's at least a 10 min. walk up Princess Street. Ditto for the Gallery. That said, the location was excellent for enjoying the Festival. Could walk right across the gardens to the Royal Mile and the heart of all the activities.....

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Had the same bad experience we had at the Mercure hotel in Chester. Rooms are old, worn and dirty. Definite lack of concern for the property by the staff and owners. Very unfriendly and unhelpful staff. Avoided the restaurant after getting ill at the Chester hotel restaurant. Lack of ventilation for the room as the windows were prevented from opening more than a couple of inches. Could not change hotels because everyplace else was booked up due to the festivals. Did cancel the reservation in York, as the poor quality of this hotel chain seems to be a common theme. Avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margie R
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Family of three stayed for two nights in August 2014. The location is outstanding close to the Scott Monument and Princes Street Gardens at Princes Street. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacy and clean. The breakfast was very good. I would surely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank norwegia

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had a fine stay here. It's right across from the Sir Walter Scott Memorial downtown Edinburgh so in a very good location.
My room was fine / clean. The only concern I had - it took me a few minutes to figure out my lock to my balcony. I was tempted to just leave it open (I was 8 storeys up after all) but then realized - anyone from one of the rooms on the same floor could access my room. So - I hastily figured out my lock and made sure to lock it again. Minor deal - but I didn't like that others in neighbouring rooms could walk to my room (with my door locked). It bothered me in terms of privacy - I felt that I had to put things away (pajamas, medication and make sure that drapes were closed even for me to nap.
Otherwise I had no concerns with this hotel. It probably - on reflection (I was there a month ago already and my memory is fading) probably would have said it was a little tired (carpets for instance) but otherwise it was totally fine. I'd stay here again. I loved the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katharina291
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.