6 people are viewing this hotel
Booking.comUS$457
eDreamsUS$457
Trip.comUS$456
3,239 results
All reviews princes street scott monument castle view waverley station christmas market excellent location superior room old town edinburgh city few minutes walk short break royal mile haggis jenners tram
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 September 2016 via mobile

Room looked onto brick wall , too warm , complaints not listened to . Chipped my tooth on breakfast sausage . Please don't stay here there are much better hotels in Edinburgh . The management didn't care and the staff weren't friendly .

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Des711
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I will share your comments with our team, I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

We attended the end of festival fireworks dinner which cost around £50 per head. We felt under pressure to order quickly from the short menu - the food came immediately. We weren't given the option to see a wine list or buy drinks until we asked. The staff were literally running around and with their shoes banging on the floor it was a little disturbing. We could see other diners trying to get the staff's attention but failing so we would help by pointing out those who needed help. The food as mostly tasty but my roast beef was very tough (over cooked). Seeing the fireworks from the roof was not that much different from the street level.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to Mercure Edinburgh, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I will share your comments with our team, I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 6 September 2016

The best thing about this hotel has got to be its location. PERFECT!

We went to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival and it seemed to be only a 10 minute walk everywhere. From the bar you can also see the Assembly Hall building (where some of the fringe events took place), the national galleries, Princes garden (where they held fireworks on the last night of the fringe as we watched from the bar) and the Scott monument which is well worth going up (at a fiver each) - the views from the top are outstanding if you can make the 287 steps up the winding staircases! The Dome is only around the corner too and although expensive (£8 a cocktail!) it was amazing to sit in the beautiful bar and be served the drink while waiting for another fringe event. The only place we walked quite far to get to was Holyrood Palace (took about 25 mins but another 'must see'!) and then walked up Arthur's seat from there.

We did have breakfast at the hotel on our last day which was good and value for money for the area (£22 for a buffet breakfast but we paid £18 for porridge, bacon butty and two teas in the Gallery Cafe across the road!). We loved having afternoon tea in the restaurant with a view of the castle - was only £19 for the two of us as well thanks to an offer on at the time.

Only downside is that the hotel rooms are a bit dated. The bathroom was a bit old and in need of upgrading with the toilet cistern broken and looked like it had been glued back together. It was also very hot in the room, although a fan was provided but we were always shocked how cold it actually was in the mornings when we left our hotel room as we had acclimatized to the heat! Lastly, we ended up paying £78 for parking as our parking ticket couldn't be validated to get the hotel discount. Ideally, it is best to use the train if you can as it is literally across the road, for us however, it was almost impossible and car was the only was to travel.

Overall, it was a good hotel, we loved Edinburgh and I would stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review! It is great to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us here at the Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel! I will certainly pass on your comments to the team to let them know what a great job they are doing!

Reviewed 4 September 2016

I stayed here for a couple of nights midweek. The hotel is very tired - no air con, small rooms, old pipes around the building which generate a lot of heat, windows that hardly open. Breakfast (which I only had on one of the days) was late starting leading to queues and initially only one person to show people to their table. The quality of the food on offer was also average - the fried eggs resembled the joke shop variety. It's one redeeming feature is that it is in an excellent location on Princes near Waverley Station.

Room tip: Rooms at the back are dark and have no view
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank keithh279

Reviewed 3 September 2016

Just back from an overnight stay, first impressions were good, but that was it.

Rooms, extremely warm, no air con and a small fan hidden in a wardrobe, no point in opening the windows as you get deafened by the air con fans from all the surrounding shops. Bathroom, very basic with a shower mixer from the 1970's.

Dining room was filthy, stains on the chairs, Windows splattered with stuff, dirty peeling paintwork, evening food was tasty but it was a very small menu. Breakfast was poor, dried out black pudding and haggis, over cooked eggs, deep fried tattie scones. We did not even get a good morning from the sour faced waitress with a filthy uniform while checking in for breakfast.

Stayed in much better b&b's

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank phazelton78

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel. It is always helpful to receive feedback.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.
I will share your comments with our team, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind regards.