5 people are viewing this hotel
Booking.comUS$457
eDreamsUS$457
Trip.comUS$456
3,239 results
All reviews princes street scott monument castle view waverley station christmas market excellent location superior room old town edinburgh city few minutes walk short break royal mile haggis jenners tram
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 October 2019

First, I will say that this hotel has a great location, and great service. BUT.....the room was VERY small, and very dated, and VERY dirty. You could see thick dust and debris along the baseboards. The bathroom a LOT of mould, which is not surprising, since there was no fan or vent in the there. The room had some sort of heat/cool radiator, but it did not work. The windows were locked and they said there was no key. We called down, and, to their credit, they did come and unlock the windows, so the room was quite comfortable after that with a nice breeze. There was no iron or ironing board and few towells, though they did bring up these items when we called. Toiletry supplies were skimpy and not great quality, were coffee and tea supplies. Not enough plugs in the room either and none in the bathroom except razor. Again, service was good once we asked for things but no excuse for the mould and filthy floors. The breakfast was quite good, with good coffee. Would NOT recommend this hotel, and it's a pity, as the location is great.

2  Thank Mary N
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I was very disappointed to read that your room did not meet your expectations. We are an older three star property and whist we require some areas to be refurbished all areas should be clean at all times. I will discuss this with the housekeeping team, Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 17 October 2019

big rooms an suite, nice view of edinburgh castle, scots monument and the old town from your window.they serve a real scottich breakfast, haggis, eggs, sauseges, bacon ect....different kind of cereals and sweet pasteries and of course different typs off coffee and juices. very central everything is in walking distance

1  Thank William1297
James F, General Manager at Mercure Edinburgh City Princes Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We really appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. We certainly hope to look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 16 October 2019 via mobile

I recently stayed in a family room for three nights at the mercure princes street.
The staff at the hotel were very polite and welcoming. My room wasn’t ready straight away so I was allowed to store my bags until check in time.
Lobby area was nicely decorated, bar restaurant was nice with a view of the castle.
Lobby toilets were extremely dated and not very clear so it was a bit of a let down.

Location of this hotel is perfect right in the heart of everything.

Once checked in and got to our room I couldn’t believe the state of the room.
The room was so old the beds and pillows were very uncomfortable. The room was extremely hot even though there was no heating on!
The view was awful and looked into other people’s rooms. The carpet was so well worn it had holes in it.
The bathroom was horrendous. The toilet hardly flushed properly, the bath was to small and not cleaned properly as there was grubby marks all along the bath. The floor was stained and the skirting boards had cracks and paint chipped of it.
Probably the worst bathroom I’ve ever seen in a hotel.
The hotel is extremely noisy.
Barely slept because of the bed and heat of the room however, you could hear everything next door and in the corridor. This was extremely annoying as I had a young child with me that struggled to sleep because of the loud banging of doors and got a fright every time the door slammed.

The breakfast in the hotel was very good.
Large selection of hot and cold food and good selection of teas and coffees. However it’s very annoying having to queue for everything. For instance you queue for tea then you have to join another queue to do your toast, so by the time you sit down the tea is cold. Would be a good idea if the waiters/waitresses offered customers tea/coffee when they show you to the table and is waited to the table.
I don’t mind getting anything else but this would be a good service and one less thing you have to queue for!

The hotel is in need of a good refurbishment and this to me has let it down hugely. It’s not worth the money I paid and unfortunately won’t return.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank kimbo_buz_bee_88
Reviewed 15 October 2019

Very nice big room, lovely view of the castle and the Scott monument and gardens, level walk to buses and tram. We had an accessible room with a wet room as my friend has mobility difficulties. The room could have benefited by larger clothes hanging space and some drawers for people staying longer than overnight.
Reception staff - I had previously spoken on the phone to Helena regarding an accessible room and she was on reception when we checked in and she was very helpful.
I would stay again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank SusanMarlow

Reviewed 14 October 2019

I stayed in the Mercure Edinburgh City for one night. I was disgusted by the state of the room. The wash hand basin was cracked, the bath was rusty round the plughole and the toilet did not flush properly leaving solid matter behind. Add to this that the room was uncomfortably hot (despite the time of year) and the lock onto the shared balcony did not work properly. This is not the standard I expect from an Accor hotel.
By contrast the staff were excellent as was the view
To add insult to injury, the Accor complaint web page did not work so I could not tell them how bad their hotel is

2  Thank Petermac99

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I was very disappointed to read that your room did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.