“A piece of heaven”

Ranked #93 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cork, Ireland
“A piece of heaven”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for four wonderful nights in Febuary for Valentines. We got a taxi from the airport to the hotel which only cost £11.25 which we thought was brilliant. Upon arriving at the hotel we were welcomed by a lovely lady. The lift was broken so we had to carry our luggage to our room which was no problem to us as we were offered assistance by a staff member but we refused as we would be ok, but then when we couldn find our room, we meet the staff member and he showed us to our rooms. The room itself was very spacious and very big. Only complaint i can make about the room is the room above us on the second floor we could hear creaks and tumping which we kind of found it hard to sleep in which this happened on our last night but other than that it was superb. The bed itself was so comfortable it just felt like heaven. I was not too found of the sausages for my breakfast as i am such a fussy eater. The food there was really tasty and filling. Only thing is that they could have more of a selection of meals.
Getting into town was not a hassle as just around the corner from the hotel is a bus stop(5 min walk or less) the number 26 bus drops you right into the city centre for the price of £1.30 pp. I would recommend getting an all day pass for £3.20 which entitles you to hop on on and different buses for the day. I would consider anyone to visit Edinburgh Castle as the views are amazing and it is very interesting for people who love history. We also visited camera obsecura which blew mind my it is out of this world, the illusions are unreal and it is worth a visit. Restaurants in town i found nothing nice so we ended up finding a lovely Italian Restaurant called Italian Belle Definetly vist there for nice food.The hotel is ideal as its just a ten min taxi fare to the airport. The morning before we left we asked for a taxi for 6.45am which they gladly did for us. I would recommend that you book this hotel as it isa friendly environment to be around. We will be glady coming back without hesitation no doubt.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noelie85
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Noelie85

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your comments regarding our large superior rooms and how well the team looked after you.

We do change our menus on a regular basis with the seasons and offer an early bird, restaurant a la carte and bar menu every evening so we try to cater for all tastes, If you have any suggestions for our next menu, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review, it is very much appreciated as we use all our comments to continually improve our service. We do hope to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future.

manager@edinburghcapitalhotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London, Bangkok
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights this week and the lift was not working during my stay which doesn't help when my room is at the top floor. The food in the hotel restaurant was fine but I thought it was a bit cheeky for the hotel to charge an extra £2 for black peppercorn sauce with the steak entree.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Absolutbkk

Thanks for posting your online review and my apologies that the lift was out of order during your visit. Unfortunately we were waiting for a part to be made to fix the lift but I am happy to say that it is now fully operational.

Thank you as well about your comments regarding the peppercorn sauce; we shall address this in our spring menu change.

I do hope we shall see you again soon.

Ayr
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My Partner and I stayed in a suite room in this hotel for two nights and we had a great stay. The staff were very friendly & helpful, great customer service.
Our room was very spacious & clean & we received complimentary wine & crisps on arrival.
There is a great pool which we also used but unfortunately during our stay the sauna was closed.
We would certainly return to this hotel in the future if visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ash1234_12
Dear Ash1234_12

Thanks for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us last summer, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

My apologies that the sauna was out of order and please be assured that we do endeavour to fix any mantenance issue within a timely manner. From memory I think the thermostat required changing and we had this up and running as soon as the part was available from our supplier.

We have also changed our upgrade package slightly and in place of the crisps we now have some delicious Scottish berry chocolates. We have also added in a deluxe package which includes champagne, chocolates, bathrobes, slippers and upgraded toiletries all for the price of £29.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope we shall have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the hotel and our fully functioning sauna sometime soon!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Good sized, well apointed rooms for the price (especialy in Edinburgh) we had a room on the second floor with views over the firth of forth and to the west of Edinburgh. room was clean and of a good size - the reception staff were very helpfull and professional asking if we were dining at the hotel and if so would we like to book a table, which as we were meeting friends for diner we did. There is a small longe area just at the reastaurant where the menu can be examined over a drink before you go in all very relaxed.

The food was very good (can highly recomend the lobster, crayfish & avacado cocktail as a starter). and the buffet breakfast was again very good. The only thing stopping us rating the hotel as excellent was the out of order lift meaning quite a treck to the room with luggage and not good for elderly or infirm guests although given how helpfull the staff were I'm sure help would be available

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear groovy 1970's

My sincere thanks for your feedback following your stay with us and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit. Chef was very pleased to hear that you felt his food was of a high standard as he works very hard with his team to ensure we provide a great dining offering.

I'm sorry that you were inconvenienced by the lift, we did have extra people on hand during the breakdown to assist with luggage. Unfortunately the parts we required to complete the repair were out of stock and had to be hand-made which prevented us from fixing the lift immediately. My apologies once again and I hope this did not detract from the overall enjoyment of your stay.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Lovely Hotel 20mins outside Central Edinburgh. Nice clean room, soft beds, good pillows etc and nice staff. Used the leisure facilities couldn't complain.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Jarrel M

Thanks for your lovely comments following your recent visit to our hotel; we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Thanks again for taking the time.

manchester
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We got a good deal for this hotel for a weekend in November, however as we travelled up by train and didn't have a car, getting around was a pain. Buses to town took up to 45mins, making popping back to the hotel after a days sightseeing, and back out for dinner was a pain.

Location aside, the rooms were spacious, well equipped and had comfy beds. The view of the car park/embankment was disappointing. Free wi-fi was a bonus.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear cathhhyyyyyyy

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, I was delighted to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay.

I'm sorry you found the journey into the city a little cumbersome, there were some roadworks that may have delayed your journey at the time of your visit, ordinarliy the city centre can be reached much quicker.

I do hope we shall have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, thanks again for your comments.

London
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Really good quality hotel. We stayed for new years eve on an offer and it was really good value. Rooms were very clean and service very good. Only two small complaints - 1) it's about a 20 minute bus ride from town and 2) the breakfast was quite disorganised, either tables left uncleared and quite often everything running out at the same time. Those two things didnt impair our stay at all though and I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear tom_bacon

Thanks for your comments, I am glad that you found our hotel good value for money, this is really what we are all about in every aspect of our business.

My apologies that breakfast seemed less than perfect, we have addressed this as a team.

Thanks again for taking the time and we hope to see you again soon.