“hard workers ...avoid”

Edinburgh Capital Hotel
Ranked #96 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have just had a long weekend in this hotel with my partner and chose this hotel as it was close to Murrayfield Stadium. What the 'distance; measure didn't say was the 1.2 miles was all up/down hill. First impression was good, our room was lovely on the first floor but at around 10.30 pm we started to notice alot of noise coming from the roon above us in the form of creaky floor boards, we had a few moew drinks and then slept pretty well until around 6.40am when we were woke from the 'creaking'. This contiunued until approx 9.30 when I can only assume that the folk upstairs went for breakfast. NOT my idea of a restful night. After breakfast we went to recepetion to explain our predicament and were offered another room .... next door. To be fair the noise was not as bad and even though I have no other complaints I would not reccommend this hotel purely based on the level of noise. It was not the long awaited chill out break I had hoped for I came home tired and grumpy :((

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear LadyCWirral

Thanks very much for your feedback amd my sincere apologies that you had a disturbed night. We do have an ongoing plan to continually improve our property so I shall ensure that this is addressed when we next refurbish the room above the one you stayed in.

I would be very grateful if you could identify which room it was that you occupied so that I can ensure we rectify the problem as soon as possible.

We do have a variety of rooms in the hotel, so if you are looking to stay with us again then feel free to contact me and I shall ensure that we organise a different room for you.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Claaire Steven
manager@edinburghcapitalhotel.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Am writing this review from room 131. This hotel offers fantastic value for a city hotel its not in the centre of Edinburgh but as a base to explore offers everything most people want and need ? Good value clean and helpful well trained staff. Checking in was quick friendly smile and welcome no hassle top marks . On the day we arrived the lift was out of order but service engineer was fixing it. Found room up to standard , first thoughts on opening door was good checked out bathroom everything clean . Tea coffee etc. The hotel has a swimming pool gym sauna which again was of good standard .Breakfast has everything I needed cereal toast fruit and cooked breakfast all self service buffet , my girlfriend is quite a picky eater she ask for porridge , poached eggs these were made fresh and brought fast to table top marks to waitress and chef my girlfriend was more than happy if she happy then am happy. On the days we went into Edinburgh city we took the bus number 26 £1.30 single or purchase an all day ticket £3.20. Leaving the car at hotel saved money carparking etc and fighting getting lost joking Katrina I have renamed my sat nav kat kat not tom tom .

• Stayed: February 2012
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear floridamadman

Thanks for your comments, I was pleased to read that you enjoed your visit and that the team looked after you well.

Last year we completed a full refurbishment of the hotel and I am delighted that you thought the room you stayed in was to a high standard.

Thanks again and i look forward to wecloming you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Everything about the hotel was first class - even the fire alarm and evacuation was dealt with efficiently and with humour, and thermal blankets provided for guests who did not have coats.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to other guests.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear SteveDee51

Thanks for your review, I'm delighted that you thought we were first class, that really means a lot to our team who all work very hard to ensure all our guests are looked after during their stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights during Febuary for Valentines day. When we arrived we were greeted by the very friendly staff. The lift was out of order but our room was on the first floor so walking up the stairs was no problem. However we could not find our room so a very helpful member of staff showed us to our room. The friendliness of the staff was a bonus.
The bedroom was very spacious and had a large bed and large LCD TV.
Breakfast was self service and there was a good selection of hot food to chose from as well as cereals and juices. We ate in the restaurant one night, the food was lovely but the menu could do with being a bit more varied however the food itself was superb.
Although the hotel is far out of town, the bus stop was just around the corner from the hotel, the no 26 takes you right into the city centre stopping in George Street. The journey itself is about 30 mins because of all the stops but if your getting a taxi back to the hotel at night it is far shorter only 15 mins and it only costs £11-12.
The Airport is only about 15 min taxi drive away from the hotel and when leaving we asked the lady at reception to book a taxi for us for our morning flight. It only cost £12. We would have loved more time in Edinburgh to see more sights and visit the islands however we did visit the castle which is definatley worth a visit and boasts spectactular views. We also visited Camera Obscura a place full of illusions and a camera show. Princess street is the main shopping street but at the moment cannot be reached by bus so one should get off at the George street stop and walk towards the castle, this will take you to princess street.
We ate in a lovely restaurant called Bella Italia, they were very busy both nights we were there. We also ate at Rendevous chinese, although it does not look like much from the outside it is a little gem once you get inside. A lovely varied menu with friendly staff.
I absolutely loved my time in Edinburgh and will def be back again to experience the warmth of the Scottish people.

2  Thank Julie O

Dear Julie O

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, it's always great to hear how our guests have enjoyed their stay.

I am sorry that the lift was out of order during your visit; this has now been rectified, it took a little longer than we had hoped as we were waiting on a part to be manufactured; my apologies if this impacted on your stay.

Thank you as well for the tips you have provided other guests on the bus stop, as you mentioned it is very convenient for travellers and allows guests to take advantage of our free parking at the hotel and be driven in to town as opposed to trying to navigate the intricacies of the Edinburgh streets themselves.

We do hope that you will be back to see us soon and if you are returning, feel free to contact me and I shall ensure you receive a room similar to the one you enjoyed on this occasion.

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for four wonderful nights in Febuary for Valentines. We got a taxi from the airport to the hotel which only cost £11.25 which we thought was brilliant. Upon arriving at the hotel we were welcomed by a lovely lady. The lift was broken so we had to carry our luggage to our room which was no problem to us as we were offered assistance by a staff member but we refused as we would be ok, but then when we couldn find our room, we meet the staff member and he showed us to our rooms. The room itself was very spacious and very big. Only complaint i can make about the room is the room above us on the second floor we could hear creaks and tumping which we kind of found it hard to sleep in which this happened on our last night but other than that it was superb. The bed itself was so comfortable it just felt like heaven. I was not too found of the sausages for my breakfast as i am such a fussy eater. The food there was really tasty and filling. Only thing is that they could have more of a selection of meals.
Getting into town was not a hassle as just around the corner from the hotel is a bus stop(5 min walk or less) the number 26 bus drops you right into the city centre for the price of £1.30 pp. I would recommend getting an all day pass for £3.20 which entitles you to hop on on and different buses for the day. I would consider anyone to visit Edinburgh Castle as the views are amazing and it is very interesting for people who love history. We also visited camera obsecura which blew mind my it is out of this world, the illusions are unreal and it is worth a visit. Restaurants in town i found nothing nice so we ended up finding a lovely Italian Restaurant called Italian Belle Definetly vist there for nice food.The hotel is ideal as its just a ten min taxi fare to the airport. The morning before we left we asked for a taxi for 6.45am which they gladly did for us. I would recommend that you book this hotel as it isa friendly environment to be around. We will be glady coming back without hesitation no doubt.

2  Thank Noelie85

Dear Noelie85

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your comments regarding our large superior rooms and how well the team looked after you.

We do change our menus on a regular basis with the seasons and offer an early bird, restaurant a la carte and bar menu every evening so we try to cater for all tastes, If you have any suggestions for our next menu, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review, it is very much appreciated as we use all our comments to continually improve our service. We do hope to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed for 2 nights this week and the lift was not working during my stay which doesn't help when my room is at the top floor. The food in the hotel restaurant was fine but I thought it was a bit cheeky for the hotel to charge an extra £2 for black peppercorn sauce with the steak entree.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Absolutbkk

Thanks for posting your online review and my apologies that the lift was out of order during your visit. Unfortunately we were waiting for a part to be made to fix the lift but I am happy to say that it is now fully operational.

Thank you as well about your comments regarding the peppercorn sauce; we shall address this in our spring menu change.

I do hope we shall see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

My Partner and I stayed in a suite room in this hotel for two nights and we had a great stay. The staff were very friendly & helpful, great customer service.
Our room was very spacious & clean & we received complimentary wine & crisps on arrival.
There is a great pool which we also used but unfortunately during our stay the sauna was closed.
We would certainly return to this hotel in the future if visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ash1234_12

Dear Ash1234_12

Thanks for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us last summer, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

My apologies that the sauna was out of order and please be assured that we do endeavour to fix any mantenance issue within a timely manner. From memory I think the thermostat required changing and we had this up and running as soon as the part was available from our supplier.

We have also changed our upgrade package slightly and in place of the crisps we now have some delicious Scottish berry chocolates. We have also added in a deluxe package which includes champagne, chocolates, bathrobes, slippers and upgraded toiletries all for the price of £29.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope we shall have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the hotel and our fully functioning sauna sometime soon!