“Easter Break”

Ranked #93 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Portree, United Kingdom
“Easter Break”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed there for four nights in April, excellent stay - good facilities and staff were extremely helpful, would definitely go back again. On the edge of city centre but great bus links right outside the hotel made access to the centre easy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnMac55
, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear JohnMac55,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your Easter break with us back in April and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Chris Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My group stayed there for a night at the end of a Highlands hiking trip. The rooms were on the small side and lacked A/C, but this is pretty typical of eEuropean hotels. But all the things that re really important- comfortable rooms, quiet beds, outstanding staff, and a good breakfast- were all there. The bus into the City Center is 5 minutes away, the ride into the city about 25 minutes, and while you don't have the ability to go out and walk the streets at night, you don't pay downtown hotel prices either.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdventuresinGoodComp
, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear AdventuresinGoodComp,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Ontario
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed for 6 nights in June. The hotel is clean and nice with friendly helpful staff. Rooms are large for Euopern standards. Hotel has good leisure facilities. This hotel is not located close to the city centre as the hotel website would suggest. It is about a 30-45 min bus ride. The bus stop is a 5-10 min walk from the hotel. However when you return from the City Centre on the bus, you a dropped off on the oppsite side of the road and must cross a busy street to get back to the hotel. This should not be difficult but because there are no light or cross walks, it make it hard to cross the road. This is very dangerous.
The other major downside to this hotel is there are no resturants, bars, stores in the area. The hotel resturant menu is limited and expensive. Buffet breakfast also expensive. So plan your day well.
I would recommend to purchase the Ridacard from Lothian Buses it is 20pounds and can be puchases for 1 week; monthly, yearly. It saves time tring to find change.
I would stay in this hotel again if my trip was only 2 or3 days.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank catOntario
, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear catOntario,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two days on business Friday and Saturday, booked by the company employing me so I presume that they get preferred rates. It was an average experience based on my many business trips. The good points: the hotel is located on the western side of Edinburgh with ease of access to the Gyle and Hermiston Gate areas, there is free car parking however it is busy and I had to look for some time for a space on the Friday night, meals were good, however service is quite slow. My room was well furnished and comfortable. Not so good points: this is a busy hotel popular with groups and functions and as a result noisy well into the late evening. It is OK if you have a car, however the alternative forms of transport are public bus which although good and well priced takes time to get anywhere, taxi service is good but quite expensive. The public areas are very limited for meeting with business colleagues. I would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lou P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us.

It would be our most sincere wish welcome you back to The Edinburgh Capital Hotel in the not too distant future.

Midlands, UK
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on business in June 2012. Overall, not a rewarding experience. I can't comment on price (and therefore value) as the hotel was booked and paid for by my office, but I am creating this review based on a comparison against the Marriott, where I usually stay when in edinburgh.

In the spirit of a positive, glass half full attitude, I'll start with the good points:
Free wi-fi is useful and at a reasonable speed
The view is quite nice
The food was well priced and fairly tasty (no tray charge for room service either)
The public areas of the hotel have obviously been recently renovated and have a nice modern look

And now the bad...
The hotel is obviously trying to go for the 'boutique' look with the rooms, with fairly new, modern furniture. At first glance all seems fine, but on closer inspection some of the decor is a little tatty. This is very apparent in the bathroom, where the shower is straight out of the 80's. It seemed to have good pressure, but this amounts to nothing when coupled with what is probably the worst shower head I have ever experienced. It seemed to waste most of its pressure making noise, rather than pushing out water.

During the visit the weather was mediocre at best, yet my room was very warm, and without air-con I could see this could become unbearably hot. The windows only opened a fraction.

The room doesn't come with an iron, you have to request one. If you want to be taken seriously as a hotel that caters for business travellers, an iron in the room is a necessity. A trouser press is not a suitable alternative.

As mentioned, you have to call down for an iron, and when I did, I had try for over 20 minutes before reception answered the phone. "We've been busy" they said.

The loo roll is very low quality - this is a pet hate of mine. Cheap loo roll = cheap hotel in my book.

The TV was a flat screen, but was from a budget manufacturer that obviously couldn't cope with the level of use it was getting, and so had developed a long dark area in the middle of it. Not only that, only 5 channels were available. Come on, join the digital age. Oh, and the remote didn't have a battery cover, so the batteries fell out every time you picked it up.

On my second morning, I received a call at 6:30am, telling me this was my wake-up call, and that my taxi was waiting for me. I informed the gentleman that I had neither requested a wake-up call or a taxi, and he clearly had the wrong room. "Oh" was his response. No apology was offered, so I hung up and tried to get back to sleep.

As a plus point, there were biscuits in the tea and coffee supplies (seems to be less common now a days), however I ate my biscuits on the first night, and didn't get any more until the 4th day :(

All the above was disappointing, but the cherry on top of the cake was the 'Prom' that they held in the function room, right below my room, on my final night. I phoned reception at 9:30pm to enquire when the load music might be finishing. A receptionist cheerfully informed me it would be going on until 12 midnight. I asked her why I hadn't been forewarned of this, especially as it was happening directly below my room, and she tried to roll out an excuse about a last minute booking. I find that very hard to believe, I wasn't informed because they didn't think to inform the guests. She quickly told me that no other rooms were available for me to move to, not that I would want to change at 9:30pm, and could be of no further help. I put my ear plugs in and hoped for the best.

Naturally, upon checkout I was not asked how my stay was, or whether I was happy with the service I received, just presented with a bill.

So, in summary, my experience of the Edinburgh Capital was not a favourable one. If you want a good nights sleep in a quiet hotel room with a good shower, don't even consider the Edinburgh capital. I'll be trying to avoid it in the future as well.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear nj_allen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you experienced some disappointment and would wish to apologise for any disappointment. I do wish that I had the opportunity to address your feedback personally during your stay, unfortunately I have only found out from your feedback.

Your comments have been raised and shared with the team here at the hotel, we take onboard your feedback.

I have noted your details from our system and would agree that the shower head whilst a little older could be replaced for an improved unit and will do so as soon as we can. Restrictors are fitted to windows to help ensure safety and security. I am happy to share that we have just taken delivery of 39 new Samsung LCD TV's and are currently in the process of replacing the older units to improve the channel choice.

Our company whilst not as large as JW Marriott do continually invest significant monies in to their five properties. Your highly constructive feedback will allow us to review and prioritise our ongoing programme of investments.

It certainly would be our most sincere wish welcome you back to The Edinburgh Capital Hotel in the not too distant future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This hotel is superbly located on the top of Clermiston Hill with wonderful views over the Firth of Forth. It is a quiet location, but the Lothian bus service is one of the best in the world and you can travel all over Edinburgh for £3.50 for a day ticket, great value.
The restaurant serves breakfast (buffet) and dinner ( you can order from three different menus, early bird, a la carte and bar menu) and the quality of food is good.
Staff are very helpful and pleasant.
Refurbished rooms are bright and modern
The only problem I had was with the bed being too hard and the pillows being a bit uncomfortable. Perhaps the hotel needs to think about putting on mattress toppers and new pillows!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quieter than the ones facing the road
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank m c
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear m c,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

We are truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in particular; our location, the range and quality of food on offer and the helpfulness of our team members.

I also note your comments regarding mattresses and pillows. I would welcome a little more detail regarding comments as we have most recently invested in a significant quantity of new Hypnos mattresses and bedding. Please feel free to contact me directly: manager@edinburghcapitalhotel.co.uk

The company is fully committed to ongoing and long term investment in our hotel.

Thanks again for your feedback, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed at the Best Western for one night whilst on business. The reception staff were extremely helpful and they have me free wifi passes which was great.

The communal areas around the room are extremely dated and still smell of smoke from the smoking room days. The first floor is like a rat run and it was extremely noisey outside the room (which to be fair could well have just been the guests).

I found the room uncomfortable and in particular the pillows - I checked with some colleagues and they all agreed about the pillows and poor nights sleep.

Not the best location for anyone visiting the city centre.

• Stayed June 2012
CapitalManager, General Manager at Edinburgh Capital Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Toppo16,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us and that you found our reception team able to provide you with a very helpful and friendly service. WiFi is complimentary for all of our guests, we do appreciate the need for staying connected whilst away from home and office.

I was sorry to read that you felt your room and pillows were not comfortable, I would welcome a little more detail in order to include any improvements into our ongoing investment programmes. Please feel free to contact me directly: manager@edinburghcapitalhotel.co.uk

We are located approximately 4 miles from the city centre in the popular suburb of Corstorphine, the hotel is easily accessible by taxi and is on a regular bus route which runs every 10 minutes to and from the city serving the business districts and the popular attractions in Edinburgh within a 15 - 20 minute journey.