“Crawling beasts in the towels”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #118 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Hilton should be ashamed of themselves! I stay with various Hilton hotels for business, and have never encountered a problem until I stayed in this hotel!

Upon checking in I was advised that I had been checked into a single room. I asked for a double, but they apparently didn't have one available, but was assured that I had a very spacious single room, which was based in their annex (across the street).

If that is what Hilton considers to be a spacious room, then I dread to think what the less spacious rooms are like - you could barely move for the lack of space. The room was extremely hot, and without any air-conditioning it was very oppressive. Luckily for me the window had been left open, as there was no way I could see of being able to reach the window due to the desk being the length of the room across the window.

At 7pm I attempted to order room service. It took me over an hour to get anyone to take my order as the supposed 24 hour room service never answered the phone. After numerous calls to reception to complain I was eventually put through to a duty manager who took my order at 8.15pm!

Apart from not being able to sleep well due to the heat the bed was quite comfortable.

The next morning after finishing my shower I reached for the "fresh" bath towel only to discover that it was covered in pubic hairs and had creatures crawling through it. Needless to say I didn't use the towel.

I complained to the duty manager (the same one who had taken my food order the previous night), and all that he did was to apologise and say he would speak with room service and housekeeping. To be fair the hotel stay was being covered by my company, so he was a bit at odds with what to offer me in the way of compensation, but I did expect more from Hilton. The manager did offer to put a note on my Hilton Honours card so that I get a free upgrade next time I stay with them, but I have to say I will never be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SBok
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to your room allocation, your company booked a single room and were paying for a single. Room rates differ for singles and doubles, your other comments have been responded to direct, and the issue with the towels has been taken up with our laundry company.

Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,754)

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We booked this hotel for one night while attending a concert. At £130 room only obviously we were expecting a really nice room and a good overall impression - how wrong we were! On way to our room the corridor had a damp, stale odour, although our room didn't appear to harbour the odour which we were thankful for. However our room was badly in need of decoration and was quite shabby - at £130 we expected much better quality and standard! When we went to bed for the evening we found the pillows also had the same damp, stale odour, leaving us with a very uncomfortable (and sleepless) night. We didn't find the staff very friendly either - one of our room cards locked us out & it seemed like a chore for them to issue another. For the price the hotel charges, we felt it was very poor quality & value for money. On a positive note, the hotel is in a good, central location, however we most definitely won't stay there again. Don't waste your money - if you're looking for luxury you won't find it here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. With regards to the ‘odour’, this is a most unusual occurrence; I personally visited the corridor in question to investigate into this matter, in response to an email you sent direct to the hotel. As stated, in our response to your email, had we been made aware of the issue at the time of your stay we would have offered a room move or brought you additional pillows, it is in no way unreasonable to contact us at any time of the day or night as the reception desk is manned 24/7 for this purpose.

Guests generally find our staff to be more than accommodating as past reviews on Trip advisor will attest, I will however, discuss your comments with the Front Office Manager to share with her team to ensure that our standards remain high.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

The Hilton Grosvenor is not exactly what you would expect from a Hilton having stayed at different properties before:

1. The rooms are a bit old, and stains on carpets. This is to consider it is a room upgrade.
2. The breakfast service on a Sunday was very bad. It took a long while before they got to our table for coffee/tea.
3. The rooms where we were at had bad wifi connection; and to think you have to pay for these lines!
4. The toilet drying rack was not working.
5. The room was either too hot or too cold, could not find the room temp setting change.
6. Bed was harder than most Hiltons I've stayed at. Pillows needed to be fluffed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry for the disappointing experience you encountered recently at my hotel; I must assure you that this is not our normal standard. With regards to the bed, I am sorry for the discomfort experienced; our beds are not too hard not too soft to accommodate a wide variety of sleepers, we do replace our beds on a rolling system and are currently replacing all bed with the Hilton Serenity bed. I have taken onboard your comments regarding your stay and will share these with my heads of departments to ensure they discuss with their teams the impact made on your stay. We are not complacent about our failures. I can assure you that more care will be taken in the future to ensure that our standards remain high.
Thank you.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed at The Grosvenor for a couple of nights at Easter and had 2 rooms for the 5 of us in the Townhouse across the road from the main building.
We had a light meal in the bar which was quiet but very nice if a little pricey (but later refunded - see below) but very convenient and service was good.
The rooms were clean and tidy however in the evening my 13 year old daughter was having a shower and the door came of it's hinges and shattered cutting her hand in 3 places. I would like to take this opportunity to thank ex-paramedic Lucas for his sterling response and treatment. We were told the Townhouse has been recently refurbished and they would "be having words with their contractors!". Everyone showed their concern and apologies were plentiful.
The hotel was busy and we were offered another room across the road but this would have meant having our teenage daughters separated from us so we opted to stay in the one room.
We were then moved across the road the next day (our luggage was taken for us while we were out) to a free upgrade of a Junior Suite (lovely!) plus a superior room to the one in the Townhouse plus some complimentary fruit, chocolates and a personal letter of apology from the management (thanks) and later our meal was refunded too.
The breakfast was excellent - up to the standard of other Hilton's we have stayed in the past. The Scottish chef (nice guy) did a mean fried egg to my personal preference and waffles and pancakes could be made to order at the table.
The location is a little way from Princes Street but we walked it every time and it was quite a pleasant route past a decent Co-op for supplies on the way back. However, it is very close to the Haymarket train station so extremely handy for us.
Apart from the incident with the shower we had a great stay and would probably come back in the future but would choose the main building to save having to cross the road for breakfast in the morning. This would have been a completely different review were it not for the response from the staff, the upgrade and the letter of apology.
It's a bit pricey at normal prices but we had it on a deal so were happy with what it cost us.
This was our first visit to Edinburgh and I would definitely recommend it, not as noisy as London. The Royal Yacht Brittania was well worth a visit too.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review.

Firstly, I do hope that your daughters hand has healed; I am pleased at how well the staff handled this most unusual incident and how they looked after your family in a professional manner that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay.

I was delighted to read your kind comments with regards to our staff, I am extremely delighted to report that Lukasz was voted our Employee of the Month.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. We arrived early rooms werent ready (didnt expect them to be happy to come back around 2pm). When we arrived back to collect our rooms keys and check in we were advised we were staying across the road. There is two sides to this hotel. Where you check in there is the main side and where the internet, bar and breakfast is served and then there is across the road. No wi-fi so you have to run across the road to utilise any of their services. The room I got was small and the shower had NIL water pressure and for a hilton hotel I would expect the renovation would include getting their water pressure sorted. Room is clean and modern. This hotel has alot of bus tours stay here. Breakfast is expensive for what you get.

Would I stay here again NO you can get just as good up on the royal mile which is on the hub of resturants & bars. There are no resturants around this end of town you have to go up to the royal mile anyway. If you are happy to stay in the hotel for its bars and resturant then this will suit you. If you like to have a nice meal and get out stay up the royal mile. Cab fare up to the mile approx 7-10 pound.

Its about a 20-25min walk up to the royla mile & castle from the hotel, but a short walk to the main shopping street.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

The hotel is housed over two buildings, as stated on our website, and when allocating our guest bedrooms the hotel is treated as one unit of 184 rooms. The Townhouse has just recently undergone a £1.3 million complete refurbishment; both buildings are a 4 star product. Due to the hotel originally being townhouses when built in 1860, room sizes vary and are unique in their own style; however these are all of Hilton standard.

Wi-Fi is scheduled to be introduced into the Townhouse within the next two months; we have received no complaints from guests who are more than happy to use the connection in our business centre or in our lobby. All of our 184 rooms have hard wired internet connection should you wish to purchase it.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused with regards to the shower pressure; we did experience a maintenance issue with one of our boilers which was rectified within 24 hours.

The Hilton breakfast generally receives positive comments from guests – it’s a great way for any visitor to the hotel to start there day.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Lots of negative reviews recently so I thought i'd take the opportunity to post my views...

I've stayed at the Hilton Grovsenor 4 nights a week since October 2010 (apart from a few breaks here and there). Obviously as a regular guest I get recognised and as a Hilton Hhonors (their loyalty scheme) Diamond I get more perks than others - however I can say that from day (or should I say night) 1 this hotel has been superb.

The hotel itself is a converted set of townhouses so isn't some souless modern, cookie cutter hotel...it has character and for most guests that it was sets it apart. It is obvious from the hotel description and photos on the Hilton website that this is the case so I don't know why people are surprised when they book to stay there.

I've stayed in a lot of different rooms during my stays - including my first stay back in Dec 2009 which was a small double room on the 3rd floor. Water pressure does sometimes struggle on the top floor - especially at peak times - but i've rarely had a power shower at any major brand hotel i've stayed in (and I stay in a lot!).

The larger rooms are very nice indeed. Heaters work very well on cold nights. No A/C so can get a bit hot but then again those windows are floor to ceiling and open nicely.

Had the opportunity to stay a few times in their suites which are lovely. Especially the ground floor one at the end of the building. Seperate rooms for lounge, bedroom and bathroom.

Staff are extremely friendly. Often remembering regular guests by name (this started after only my 2nd visit). Bar area is popular most nights and serves a decent range of food and beverages but is great if you want to relax after a day of work in decent surrounds.

Restaurant is adequate - on par with most chain business class hotels. Week nights are often filled with business people eating by themselves quietly.

This week i'm staying in the recently refurbished townhouse (used to be called the club). Rooms are large, spacious and done to a high quality. Definitely shows the investment by Hilton.

Breakfast isn't something I normally go to but on weekdays is a relatively pleasant activity. Food is great and service good. Weekends aren't quite as pleasant - when i've stayed the weekend i've received good service - although it's very, very busy and noisy. Staff on one particular stay were having a visible argument and very stressed - banging plates and knives/forks around.

Location is great too - only a 10 min walk into central Edinburgh (princes st) with all the bars and restaurants.

In the mornings there is either Haymarket train station (1 minute walk), buses outside the station or a taxi rank outside the hotel.

Overall I love the Hilton. Stayed at another big brand hotel in Edinburgh for a while too and couldn't wait to get back to the Hilton.

Plenty of positives above so a few specific things to improve or watch out for:

- No real table service in the bar area
- Main hotel could do with a bit of investment in some rooms
- Weekend breakfast is far too busy
- Not the cheapest hotel - although good deals can be found
- Typical overpriced hotel food though.
- No onsite parking - have to park in public car park nearby
- No gym (although i'm a member of gym brand nearby so no big deal for me)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank instinkt

Thank you for your response.

I am delighted that you enjoy the quirkiness of the hotel’s character. The staff here are a real asset to us, I am glad this is evident to our guests.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Townhouse – the rooms really are stunning…if I do say so myself!

Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stayed here only for one night using HHonor points.We had rooms in the second building which is right across the street.Rooms are nice,not very spacious but good enough from UK standpoint.
Staff is very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. All room in the hotel do vary in size due to the hotel originally being townhouses when built 150 years ago.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff – I cannot say enough about how much of an asset they are to the hotel.