“Not a bad location but very small and not the best”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
“Not a bad location but very small and not the best”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a very short walk from the Haymarket station and about 20-30 minutes from the castle/Golden Mile (downtown) so all in all not a bad location. Considering that it's a bit removed from things, though, we were disappointed with how small the rooms were. The bathrooms are very awkward, there are no safes in the rooms, no minibar and the heater didn't work in our room. The elevator isn't terrible practical, unless your room is right next to it, as there are stairs on the floors going up and down that you can't avoid so beware if you have lots of luggage. All in all, it is a quiet and clean hotel and the service was quite nice. As with most chain hotels, everything in the hotel was obscenely overpriced so plan on going out for breakfast, etc. There is a great little coffee shop on the corner and many pubs on the surrounding streets.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Thank you for your review.

As the hotel was once a series of terraced Georgian townhouses when built in 1860, the hotel does have a quirky layout, thus our room sizes vary but are unique in their own style, all rooms are all of Hilton standard. We do offer assistance with luggage to all guests upon check-in.

It would be a pity for you to go out and not enjoy out famed Hilton Breakfast, we offer a full Scottish buffet breakfast and Continental breakfasts,, prices start from £7.95. Pubs and cafes may be cheaper, but all over Trip Advisor our guests tell us how excellent our breakfast is.

4 star properties in Hilton and other brand chains, outside London, do not offer safes or fridges in room to for these facilities you would have to book a 5 star category hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I was traveling with the family and we used points for two rooms. The first rooms we were assigned were TERRIBLE. Nothing worked in the room. The staff was very good and got us different rooms the next night after several complaints. The main issue is the hotel is very old and run down. There is also no air conditioning and we had problems opening or keeping the windows open.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment caused regarding your stay. They hotel does not have air conditioning, and we do not advertise this as such. I am delighted however, that our staff were able to offer you alternative rooms for the remainder of your stay.

Thank you for your feedback.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband booked a suprise weekend away in Edinburgh for my birthday and we stayed here for two nights. The hotel was lovely, and the food in the restaurant was great too. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was lovely and clean. Loved the free slippers as well ;) Only downside is no parking, but there is a car park approx 5-10 mins away.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank joromunki
Thank you for your review.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that this made for an even more wonderful birthday!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Location is OK, could walk a few minutes into town. Rooms clean and bathroom refurbished fairly recently. On the first floor, I did get a bit of cigarette smoke drifting up from smokers on the sidewalk, but I just closed the window....

Also the breakfast buffet staff were not very friendly, and I observed an episode of "throw out all the food and take the temperature of the rest" which made me stick to the fresh fruit after that :)

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

Rooms in the Townhouse annexe are stunning, due to a full £1.3 million refurbishment earlier this year.

I am sorry to hear that our breakfast staff were not displaying their normal high standards of customer service that they are usually praised for. To use your wording, we ‘throw out’ and replenish items as we are consistently monitoring the temperature of all foods served to ensure all food is fresh for the next guest.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Staff was very nice and location was within a decent walk (10-15 minutes) of Edinburgh attractions.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a delight to read your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future !

Thank you.
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Crappy hotel with a mediocre paint job. I requested a non-smoker room but my room ended up one floor above the staff smoking area. The location is about a block away from what I would normally consider a bad area, although it is next door to St Marys. It is about 10 or 15 minutes from the main drag. The hotel was going through some minor renovations when it really needs a major rehaul. There is plenty of water stains, chipped railings, peeling wall paper through out. The bed was hard as a rock and small as expected in Europe. The staff was also less than helpful. In fact one of the desk help sent the only cab away when i was halfway to his car door, so I had to walk all the way through the lobby to ask them to call him back. Also no door help AT ALL. Definitely not up to the standards I would expect from Hilton. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you did not 100% enjoy your stay with us. The main building was fully refurbished in 2008 and our Townhouse annexe has just undergone a £1.3 million refurbishment at the start of the year. The hotel runs a rolling maintenance program, and our Maintenance team are dedicated in ensuring the little touch-ups the hotel needs are done on a continual basis…just as with the Forth Road Bridge maintenance, it is an ongoing process as I am sure you will understand.

The hotel is located in an affluent area, to the west end of the City Centre, and we are only a 10 minute walk from Princes Street and all the main attractions that Edinburgh has to offer.

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Manchester, UK
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I stayed here with family from Australia, altogether there were 10 of us. Some of the rooms were amazing, although there was nothing wrong with any of the rooms, they were very varied. We stayed in the hotel for a meal one night and I went up to the dest to pay for drinks and extras we had on top of our package. The staff undercharged me and I tried to tell them this however they insisted this was correct. When we got up to leave the restaurant a different waiter ran over asking us to pay, I explained the situation and he basically called me a liar in front of my guests. He then answered the phone whilst I was discussing the issue with him to address a complaint. In addition we had some special food requirements for one of the guests, the waiters were not very helpful just bringing out things they thought would be suitable without checking if these were suitable or if she would like them.
The staff also seemed unsure of when you were able to park outside, we got many different answers.
Reception staff were really friendly and breakfast was good although it was difficualt to get staffs attention for drinks.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay.

I am truly sorry for the experience you encountered; I must assure you that the standard of service displayed was not our norm. Generally we receive high praise for our attentive staff and service that they provide…I am sorry our standards fell short on this occasion. We will ensure your comments are highlighted to all Food and Beverage team members, to show the impact this made to your stay.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding our rooms; our Townhouse annexe has recently undergone a £1.3m full refurbishment and looks stunning!