“Excellent hotel in older building, great location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Ashburn
“Excellent hotel in older building, great location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at the end of a fishing trip to Scotland. I do stay most frequently at Hilton properties, so chose this one based on its proximity to the "Royal Mile" in Edinburgh. It's about 10 minutes walk from the main section of the Royal Mile and about 20 minutes from Edinburgh Castle. The hotel actually has a second part directly across the street, but I stayed in the main section. My 3rd floor room was large, comfortable and had a very large bathroom by European standards. The only negative comments are that the floor creaked loudly when I walked on it (old building, but any competent carpenter could remedy this problem) and the water pressure in the shower was very low. The room was very clean and service was superb - from the front desk staff to room service. A cut above most US Hilton properties. The location was on the edge of an older residential section a street or two off the popular old town business area (I use older in a positive way here). The restaurant was very good and breakfast was robust and had the complete "Scottish breakfast" available including haggis. Eggs, waffles and pancakes to order. All in all a very good stay and a highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend the main building but the area is quiet. I'd stay away from the 1st floor (second fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for posting a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that your fishing trip was most enjoyable. I am glad that you enjoyed our Hilton breakfast – this always receives rave reviews from out guests.

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We arrived at the hotel,to see some sort of "party" going on. Tons of smoking and drinking on the hotel steps. We had to work our way through the loud, stinky, obnoxious crowd to get to the front desk. With my 70 year old mother and 11 year old son, this did not seem like a "family friendly" place. We approached the front desk, with jet lag, to find that our room had been given to someone else! The staff was less than friendly about this. In fact, they were not the LEAST bit sorry. It felt as if it happened all of the time. They put us up in another hotel for the night. Which turned out for the best, considering the party atmosphere of this place. We canceled the reservation for the next night, but not without some drama. They were refusing to let us cancel, until Expedia got involved. What a mess!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry for the experience you encountered. The ‘party’ was a function being held within the hotel in our function room. We do ask attendees of functions to use the designated smoking areas; however not all guests accept this advice. Our Reception team and Duty Manager regularly check on events to ensure the entrance way is not obstructed, I am sorry if this was not evident upon your arrival.

I am truly sorry that you arrived to find you were out booked to another hotel; this was due to a system error, if out booking a guest we do endeavour to ensure a hotel of equal or higher standard, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment this caused yourself and your family.

Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were put on the top floor of a renovated old building. The floor is the original, covered with carpet. It is uneven, rises up and down. The carpet gives an illusion of a flat surface. It is very uncomfortable and unsafe. Hotel staff justified it as old charm. Windows coverings did not cover the windows properly, leaves big gaps, sunlight streaming in at 5 a.m., turning the room nuclear bright, waking us up. Bathtub had no safety bar and non-slip surface and narrow tub. A rubber mat was provided, but never cleaned - unsanitary. Our room was in a second un- connected building across the street from the main where breakfast was served. We were given by hotel staff the wrong information on museum location. After spending money on taxi and time wandering in the wrong museum, we found out it was the wrong museum. We did not have much time left for the museum we had wanted to visit. In fact the staff did not know what he was talking about.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for posting a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with you r stay. I have taken onboard your comments regarding floors; as the hotel was originally a series of townhouses, the floors are the original floors, which do add to the character and charm of the building. Floors are on our rolling maintenance program, as you can imagine – this keeps our Maintenance team busy! I will ensure to pass on your feedback regarding lack of cleanliness to our Housekeeping department to ensure more care is taken in the future.

Your room was allocated in our Townhouse annexe, which serves a complimentary continental breakfast for any guest not wishing to partake in the full cooked breakfast in the main building. Had we been made aware at the time of your stay that this was inconvenient we would have endeavoured to find an alternative room.

I am sorry that you were given wrong information; I will ensure to highlight this issue to the Front Office Manager to ensure further training is carried out.

Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Although the hotel was perfectly placed to return to London from Haymarket Station that was our only positive comment on this tired hotel.... the bar was brightly lit at night, NOT conducive to a night cap or a relaxed drink. The decor upstairs was worse than tired, shabby! The room, tho large was slightly grubby and the bathroom way past its sell by date. The shower had NO pressure and was over the bath with a shower curtain. No storage in the bathroom and no where to rest a wash bag despite being of a good size. Mis-matched furniture and ugly 'wall art' contributed to a very disappointing opinion of this hotel. There is a Costa coffee bar though which we were delighted to find but on waiting ten minutes to order a coffee whilst the barista 'received on the job training with no acknowledgement of the queue and who then was confused by an order of two Americanos is when we realised that the delight was inappropriate. To top it all £14.99 for WiFi in the rooms! Really? Will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that you were not entirely satisfied with you r stay. I have taken onboard your comments regarding the ambiance of the bar and will ensure your comments are passed onto the Bar Manager.

I have also noted your comment s regarding water pressure; unfortunately over theses dates we suffered a minor boiler malfunction which affected a handful of rooms, I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

stayed here for one night after working in the capital and had arranged a night out. Th reception staff were warm and welcoming and helped with everything i asked for promptly. every thing was as i expect the high standards of the Hilton until the moment i got to the elevator, which, in the townhouse anyway, is comicaly small, 2 people with luggage were doing some minor contorsionism to fit in it. The room was very small which I will allow for as id booked a compact double. I was on my own so it was not a problem, however it would have been a bit pokey for 2, I did some ironing before i went out which involved a little 'room tetris'. Although small the room was well equiped and the shower was ace. My biggest bug bare of this stay is the fact that they wanted to charge me £15 for wifi in my room, I almost went into cardiac arrest when told this, Why is this the case? every other Hilton i have stayed in it is complimentary, i would have even minded £5, but £15??? someone needs to have a chat with themselves!!! On a nice note the breakfast was outstanding as always and the helpfulness of the reception staff was cheery and pleasent as ever. In all my stay was good and fitted the purpose well, however the Management should remember this is a Hilton Hotel and is priced as so, so perhaps review there ridiculous wifi charge and re brand there compact doubles as ' just right singles' ( which suited me ) a borderline 'very good' heading towards average.

Room Tip: compact doubles are actualy single rooms, well mine was anyway ( room 264 )
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team, they are a real asset to the hotel. All rooms in the hotel do vary in size and layout due to the building originally being a series of townhouses; our compact double rooms do sleep two adults and provide a good base for a night.

We do provide complimentary internet access in our public areas for all guests and in the bedrooms for our diamond and gold Hilton honours members. I will forward your comments to our Head Office to see what can be done in the future in relation to this.

Acworth, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband stays in hotels weekly for business. The perk for all the business travel is accumulating points with Hilton Honors program for family vacations.
Normally, we have nice accommodation at Hiltons.

However on this family trip, we stayed at the Hilton Edinburgh (Grosvenor Hotel) location on June 3, 2013 by redeeming Hilton Honors points. Our expectations were woefully not met. The room was extremely dirty (e.g., base board moldings had accumulated dust), there were numerous huge stains on the carpet and worst of all, a dreadful odor permeated the room and the contents of my family’s luggage! I now know why the windows were opened when we initially entered the room. We stayed the 1 night and took a train to London for 2 days with plans to return to this hotel after.

We were so disgusted by the hotel conditions that we canceled our reservations for June 6 & 7 and optioned to purchase a hotel room at a Marriott Residence Inn Edinburgh instead of using Hilton Honors points! I have stayed at many Hilton properties in the USA as well as Leicester, UK for business travel and would say that the Grosvenor Hotel needs major recapitalization to bring it to Hilton standards and customer expectations!

We hesitated posting this review because we wanted to give Hilton an opportunity to respond to my husband's email or possibly refund our points. Unfortunately, a month has gone by and no response from Hilton Corporate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, General Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am truly sorry that you have never heard back from a Hilton team member, this is certainly the first instance that we, here at hotel level, have been made aware of your experience. I have sent you a message detailing an email address where you can send the original email, so that we may investigate fully into this matter.

I have sat down with the whole of the Housekeeping team to highlight these issues and to ensure more care is taken in the future and to show the impact this made to your stay. If I were to offer you reasons for the shortfall in our standards they would merely be excuses and frankly I am not prepared to do that. We are in a people industry and regretfully from time to time things do go wrong, albeit not often here. I am sorry that we let you down.

I do appreciate your comments but do hope most sincerely that despite this setback you feel able to continue to stay with Hilton in the future.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Really disappointing stay. The room is tired and shows the wear. I am a Hilton Diamond member and I told the front desk staff I was a bit embarrassed they would put someone in this room no matter their status with their Hilton Honors program. The room simply does not live up to standards of the Hilton brand. Very few benefits for a Hilton Honors member -- no executive lounge, no beverage benefits, etc. I might suggest looking elsewhere when in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: When you find out, let me know!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business