“Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor”

Ranked #118 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Amsterdam
“Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Excellent posch,clean rooms for the price. The reception staff and the guy who carried my luggage to the Opposite Guest house block was very friendly and coruteous. Nice of him. The Breakfast was good but the quality of service very bad. The staff there needs good training on what is courtesy and human sensitivities. Overall pleasant stay. Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us, but do take on board your comments regarding the breakfast service.

I am always delighted to read comments about how friendly our reception team are and they really made you feel welcome, and I will ensure your review is shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Staff were great throughout stay and slept well. Didn't use the Hotel much as was in Edinburgh to see the Lion King however a note to other Diamond members that there is no lounge and complimentary drinks are limited to 1 drink. Got a free room upgrade which was nice, room spacious and clean. Bathroom was a little dated however it is an older hotel so that's to be expected however main thing it was clean! Would stay again now I know what you get as a diamond member, just be good if all Hilton's were the same on this!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grsovener.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Poulton Le Fylde
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights 8/9th of December.
No problems with the hotel apart from an unusual smell in the room.
The staff were excellent and the facilities good.
However on returning to our car parked on Morrison St car park we found it had been trashed.Some persons had run over the boot roof and bonnet causing severe damage which will cost in excess of £5000 to repair - new roof etc.
We have enjoyed several holidays in Scotland but doubt whether we will be going back in the future.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.I am delighted the hotel and location met your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am always delighted to read comments about how friendly the team are here, and I will ensure your review is shared with the team.

I am sorry to hear about the incident with your car, given the loaction of the hotel parking is limited outside the Hotel and the other option available is NCP car park at morrioson street. Please let us know if we can be any assitance to deal with the incident.
I do hope you return to visit us scotland again and choose to stay with us.

Thank you.
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel is very nice overall and is in a great location, close to Haymarket Rail Station, around 10 mins walk from Princes Street. The buffet breakfast was generous and well presented. However, our stay was marred by the condition of the room. The net curtain was torn and absolutely filthy, the carpet was grubby but most bizarrely, the room had a strong, persistent smell of fish! I can't believe this is typical of the rest of the rooms, so I guess we were just unlucky. In hindsight, we should have requested a different room but it was an early check-in and we were pushed for time. If this ever happened again, we would insist on a room change.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for your review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations and I will adress the issues you highlighted with the team on site.

I am delighted you find the hotel well appointed for your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Many Thanks.
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights as a BA package to visit the Christmas Market. On arrival Ailish, the receptionist was very pleasant and advised me I had been upgraded to a executive King room. The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable except that it creaked whenever you moved about. Bathroom was good and clean and had a reasonable shower over the bath. Only bad point was the TV not good supposed to have 18 channels only 3 of which were clear and they were the ones with subtitles. I reported this to reception as soon as I arrived and they send they would send someone up whilst I was out that afternoon. Nothing happened I reported it again and 2 duty managers came up - they agreed it was bad and tried all the aerials cables etc and said they couldn't do anything but would get it fixed next day - nothing happened.
Restaurant was good - typical Hilton buffet breakfast good fresh hot food with local dishes on the menu. Dinner in the evening was good with a reasonable choice.
One other alarming point was that at 2215 on second evening the fire alarms went off. I followed all other guests out to the assembly points - NO STAFF were there to check us NO STAFF seemed to go around checking the rooms or be by the exits to make sure we knew where to go. They stood in a small separate group by the front door - I gather assuming it was a false alarm and therefore nothing needed to be done. After about 20 minutes the fire brigade came and checked the place and let us back in. STAFF just waved at us from across the street then went back inside. When I asked why didn't they check room - well we don't know who is in or out - surely that is why they go & knock on doors!! Also a member of staff should be at the Assembly point to make sure guests are looked after.
Other than this the location is great there are plenty of buses from just round the corner to take you to Princes Street where the market was and for £3.50 you can buy a day ticket which lets you go anywhere on the buses all day I went to see Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith and bus ride was good. Only thing to note is you must have actual change for tickets no change given.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rosie H
Many thanks for you recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor On Trip Advisor.

I have passed your comments onto our Maintenance team who are working to resolve the Tv signal issue raised by your self during your stay.

I appreciate you mentioning our ideal location in regards to access to city centre and major attractions in Edinburgh.

I will pick up with the respective managers the shortcomings you experienced during the fire alarm evacucation and work on the feedback provided to train our team memebers.

I do hope you return in the near future so that we can show your previous issue has been adressed.

Kindest Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here because I collect points. I stayed (with my wife) for a weekend. We were in the town houses oppposite and down the road from the main hotel. This was not a problem. The room, was roomy, but the bed sounded like it had broken springs. Ever time you rolled over, it made a huge amount of noise. A shame, because the bed linen etc was all top notch as per Hilton's usual standards. The shower lacked pressure and we could only get luke warm water out of it. Reception were helpful and had someone look at it quickly. One word of warning - the towel rail got extremely hot, and whilst it did have warning sign indicating this, its very easy to brush up against due to the shape of the bathroom (in our room) - my wife had a nasty red mark as a result - so beware. All in all though, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: Aim for the main building - not the town houses, especially in the winter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I’m pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the water pressure; we are in the process of upgrading our system to ensure uninterrupted supply to all guests.

It’s great to hear our staff were helpful and efficient with the problem you had.

We hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Great location The hotel was at the end of Princes street and within walking distance of theatre. Breakfast and dinner were of good quality and staff very attentive. would recommend this hotel for location and friendly staff

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It’s great to hear that you found our staff to be attentive and helpful. I’m pleased our location was suited to the needs of your stay.

We really appreciate your kind words and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you.