“Enjoyable as ever”

Ranked #118 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable as ever”
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Overnight usually means the big brother, Waldorf Astoria, but with a few disagreements at the Waldorf, decided to book here instead. Check in staff very friendly and informative and you feel as though they actually mean have a nice stay etc. Rooms nice and clean, ours huge, but could do with a wee bit of upgrading as it is starting to show signs of wear and age. However, slept like a lamb. Bar staff very friendly and attentive, even when busy. Again though, as with the Waldorf, they don't serve Bacardi as rum? Not sure why as the rum of choice is, in my opinion, no where near as good. However, in comparison with other Hilton's, the bar staff immediately state that their rum is not Bacardi and do not either force it on you or just give you their alternative as if you wouldn't notice. However, minor annoyance but dealt with fairly. Breakfast the usual standard with friendly staff everywhere. So no real complaints about anything and will be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted the hotel and location met your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am always delighted to read comments about how friendly the team are here, and I will ensure your review is shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here last weekend as a special treat for ourselves to see the christmas markets and spend time in the city of Edinburgh which we had never been to before and thought after visiting various other Hilton's we would have a lovely stay. On arriving we entered a lovely, well furnished and clean lobby. We checked in and were told to walk over to the other building accross the road and we weren't offered any help with our bags. When entering this other building known as the 'town house' it was very underwhelming and a lot less well kept and 'special'. On booking the stay we were not given the choice between the 'proper' Hilton which we checked in at and would have preferred or the 'town house' which we were bundled into. The receptionist was cold and unwelcoming after a long journey there and again, no help was offered with our bags. The room was nice, clean and well furnished. Clean bathroom with a good array of toiletries. I was appalled at the car parking facilities, we were told to drive 10 minutes around a horrendous 1 way system and leave my new car in the most derelict car park I have ever seen. Pot holes, a building site right next to it and no one seemed to man it at £12.50 a day as if I hadn't spent enough on this underwhelming hotel. We asked for a jug of water and was told very abbruptly that we would have to PAY for it?!! The next morning we went down for breakfast where we were told that we would only be offered a continental breakfast when we had specified and seemingly payed for a full English but this was 'not available in the town house'. The breakfast was adequate and did the job however the staff in the breakfast rooms watched every move you made and stood right behind you waiting to clear away any mess you may have made making us feel very uncomfortable. We had barely finished and stood up from our seats when she had started to clear our things as if there was some kind of rush. All in all, not impressed. I have high expectations when I visit a Hilton and these were not met here.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank hg1393
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate your observations and feedback in regards to breakfast and I have passed on your comments regarding your experience to our Restaurant & Bar Manager to discuss with their teams in order to deliver the expected levels of service on a consistent basis.

I note your comment regarding car parking. As we are a city centre hotel, this is somewhat of a challenge for us. Unfortunately the site which the car park is situated on will soon be starting a building project, where the car park will no longer exist. I have taken onboard your feedback so we can look into alternative parking arrangements.

Thank you again for your measured review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I really loved staying here. I stayed for 4 nights over Christmas, and was worried that standards might slip as a result but not at all. Housekeeping was meticulous and the service excellent. The hotel is very handy for the airport as it is on the airport bus route, it is also a stone's throw from Haymarket station making a day trip to Glasgow less than an hour away, and with easy connections to London and some direct trains. Within a few minutes walk is the West End, and the stunning St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral is on the doorstep. William Street is less than five minutes walk with great shops and eateries. My first room (room 4) was not up to the standard I had expected and was overlooked and in a basement. I asked for, and was given without quibble, a new room (321) overlooking the Cathedral and much more what I had expected. On Christmas Eve I came home to discover a mince pie, hot chocolate and marshmallows and a handwritten Christmas card. The room itself was very nice indeed, and well ventilated with a good bathroom (a bit tired perhaps). I did not eat here but there seemed a large range of eating options and a good bar. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: 321, 325, and other rooms on this side have great views of St Mary's Cathedral
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The rooms were clean and cozy to stay. The reception staff and the guy who carried my luggage was very friendly and courteous. The rooms were not noise proof so heard voices from other rooms and nearby streets. Good toiletries and clear bathroom. Excellent variety in the Breakfast. The staff at the breakfast room need special training on courtesy and human sensitivity. Be careful while go to pick up some additional food...your existing plates would be quickly cleaned up without your permission. They stand next to you waiting to snatch your completed place. Why cant the clean after the guests leave? WiFi in rooms are very good but you have to pay for it. Overall great experience. Would stay again every time i visit Edinburgh. Money's worth.

Room Tip: Rooms in the opposite guest house are much better than the one in the main building
1 Thank Ravishankar P
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us, but do take on board your comments regarding the breakfast service.

I am always delighted to read comments about how friendly our reception team are and they really made you feel welcome, and I will ensure your review is shared with the team.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Think I got unlucky with this stay as I had a good experience 12 months earlier. On this occasion the room was small and pokey. There were some issues with the bathroom and storage. However the room was clean and the other services were good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Stuart W
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your Trip Advisor review.

We are very disappointed to read your review with regards to room allocated to yourself.
We apologise for any discomfort that this caused you during your stay and I will ensure that your comments are followed up as we would have ideally liked to have spoken with you before you left.
We will certainly use your feedback to improve our services in the future.
Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We travelled to Edinburgh in connection with a theatre visit and had a two night stay at this hotel – a twenty minute walk from Waverley Station (Haymarket Station is closer). Reception staff friendly and the Junior Suite we were allocated (although somewhat dated) was perfectly adequate for our needs. On the second evening one of the radiators stopped working but housekeeping provided an electric heater within 30 minutes of being notified. Breakfast was a buffet similar to that found in many hotels – although the haggis and whisky were novel! Decent amount of space in the public areas. On the downside, some corridors and parts of the public areas are in need of redecoration and “freshening up”.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that you appear to have enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team here.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future at Hilton Edinburgh grosvenor.
Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Excellent posch,clean rooms for the price. The reception staff and the guy who carried my luggage to the Opposite Guest house block was very friendly and coruteous. Nice of him. The Breakfast was good but the quality of service very bad. The staff there needs good training on what is courtesy and human sensitivities. Overall pleasant stay. Would definitely stay there again

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts