“Good staff, small room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
england
“Good staff, small room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed across the road in the town house. Even though the building was old, the room was to a good standard albeit small. I also agree that the beds are hard, and I generally like a firm mattress. The bathroom was very compact. Breakfast was excellent. Locations is about 20 minutes walk to the centre of Edinburgh. We stayed there on honours points, I would have been disappointed with the room had I paid the full amount.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and your overall stay in our Townhouse building.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the room. I note your comments regarding room size; all of our rooms do vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860; I apologise this did not meet your standards on this occasion.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

When I entered the room which I had been allocated, it turned out that it had not been made up yet. The staff was very apologetic and kind and sorted this out very quickly. The good thing about it was, that I got a new room which gave to the road so I had mobile phone signal. The walls of the first room which was at the back of the hotel were so thick that not even the internal cordless phones worked, the staff had to run out into the hallway to make calls to arrange a new room for me. I did think that the rooms look nice, the "new" room was huge with beautiful windows. The only big disappointment was the bathroom. On close inspection the tiles above the bathtub looked very grim. I find this is not acceptable in any hotel, let alone in a Hilton with a good reputation.
The portions of the food I ordered from room service where very generous but not very tasty, which was a shame. (I had a cheese tomato pizza and a salad).
The hotel is very easy to get to from the airport by bus.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rainstarsmile
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were originally allocated the wrong room but it’s great to hear that it was sorted quickly for you.

I have passed on your comments to our maintenance manager who will further investigate the tiles in the bathroom.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the future and show you that we have actioned your comments.

Thank you.
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Right from the start the check-in was smooth and the reception was great. However, the rooms were just okay with nothing really special that stood out. I am quite surprised by the breadth of Hilton experiences I have had in different countries. In Bogota, I had an outstanding experience and stay, and here it was just average, except for the service and check-in. Hilton should work to have a continous guest experience throughout their hotels.

I might add on a plus side, that the location is quite central.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction and that you found our location suitable. I will personally ensure that your feedback is passed onto our reception team.
I do hope you return to visit us again in the near future.
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Well the customer service is a+++ now onto the hotel. Lets just say it is falling apart. The heaters may or may not work, the beds are like rocks, the carpet is coming off the floor I am not sure a handy man has been near this hotel in years. Again the customer service is why I am giving it a 3 cause on rooms and quality it would be a 1

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike L
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
Maintenance in the hotel is a continuing project and we must apologise if the room was not up to your expectations.
I will ensure your positive feedback with regards to Customer service is passed onto our teams.
We do hope that you chose to stay with us in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Overnight usually means the big brother, Waldorf Astoria, but with a few disagreements at the Waldorf, decided to book here instead. Check in staff very friendly and informative and you feel as though they actually mean have a nice stay etc. Rooms nice and clean, ours huge, but could do with a wee bit of upgrading as it is starting to show signs of wear and age. However, slept like a lamb. Bar staff very friendly and attentive, even when busy. Again though, as with the Waldorf, they don't serve Bacardi as rum? Not sure why as the rum of choice is, in my opinion, no where near as good. However, in comparison with other Hilton's, the bar staff immediately state that their rum is not Bacardi and do not either force it on you or just give you their alternative as if you wouldn't notice. However, minor annoyance but dealt with fairly. Breakfast the usual standard with friendly staff everywhere. So no real complaints about anything and will be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am delighted the hotel and location met your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am always delighted to read comments about how friendly the team are here, and I will ensure your review is shared with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Cumbria, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here last weekend as a special treat for ourselves to see the christmas markets and spend time in the city of Edinburgh which we had never been to before and thought after visiting various other Hilton's we would have a lovely stay. On arriving we entered a lovely, well furnished and clean lobby. We checked in and were told to walk over to the other building accross the road and we weren't offered any help with our bags. When entering this other building known as the 'town house' it was very underwhelming and a lot less well kept and 'special'. On booking the stay we were not given the choice between the 'proper' Hilton which we checked in at and would have preferred or the 'town house' which we were bundled into. The receptionist was cold and unwelcoming after a long journey there and again, no help was offered with our bags. The room was nice, clean and well furnished. Clean bathroom with a good array of toiletries. I was appalled at the car parking facilities, we were told to drive 10 minutes around a horrendous 1 way system and leave my new car in the most derelict car park I have ever seen. Pot holes, a building site right next to it and no one seemed to man it at £12.50 a day as if I hadn't spent enough on this underwhelming hotel. We asked for a jug of water and was told very abbruptly that we would have to PAY for it?!! The next morning we went down for breakfast where we were told that we would only be offered a continental breakfast when we had specified and seemingly payed for a full English but this was 'not available in the town house'. The breakfast was adequate and did the job however the staff in the breakfast rooms watched every move you made and stood right behind you waiting to clear away any mess you may have made making us feel very uncomfortable. We had barely finished and stood up from our seats when she had started to clear our things as if there was some kind of rush. All in all, not impressed. I have high expectations when I visit a Hilton and these were not met here.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank hg1393
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor on Trip Advisor.

I appreciate your observations and feedback in regards to breakfast and I have passed on your comments regarding your experience to our Restaurant & Bar Manager to discuss with their teams in order to deliver the expected levels of service on a consistent basis.

I note your comment regarding car parking. As we are a city centre hotel, this is somewhat of a challenge for us. Unfortunately the site which the car park is situated on will soon be starting a building project, where the car park will no longer exist. I have taken onboard your feedback so we can look into alternative parking arrangements.

Thank you again for your measured review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Loughton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I really loved staying here. I stayed for 4 nights over Christmas, and was worried that standards might slip as a result but not at all. Housekeeping was meticulous and the service excellent. The hotel is very handy for the airport as it is on the airport bus route, it is also a stone's throw from Haymarket station making a day trip to Glasgow less than an hour away, and with easy connections to London and some direct trains. Within a few minutes walk is the West End, and the stunning St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral is on the doorstep. William Street is less than five minutes walk with great shops and eateries. My first room (room 4) was not up to the standard I had expected and was overlooked and in a basement. I asked for, and was given without quibble, a new room (321) overlooking the Cathedral and much more what I had expected. On Christmas Eve I came home to discover a mince pie, hot chocolate and marshmallows and a handwritten Christmas card. The room itself was very nice indeed, and well ventilated with a good bathroom (a bit tired perhaps). I did not eat here but there seemed a large range of eating options and a good bar. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: 321, 325, and other rooms on this side have great views of St Mary's Cathedral