“Not a pleasant experience”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #118 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Small rooms, uncomfortable small beds, no air conditioning, expensive. We stayed here when we visited Edinburgh for a weekend and will never stay here again. We were woken by the water system in the room next door when our neighbours arrived back at 4:00am. Woken again by a coach party arriving at 6:30am. Staff are ok and service not bad but rooms are dreadful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Genny C
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am sorry that you did not appear to have enjoyed your stay with us.

We do not advertise that we have air conditioning as we do not, please contact me at the hotel if you have seen this advertised, as I will change it right away. We have taken your feedback on the noise issue and working as a team to eliminate this in the future.

Once again, I apologise that your lasting memory of the property was not a positive one, but I do hope you return in the near future

Kindest Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,754)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is great if you want to be just outside the main hustle and bustle of the centre and you don't mind a ten minute walk to it. Buses run regularly to the centre anyway so it's very easy to get around. The hotel itself was good for amenities and have friendly staff and we're also very accommodating when I asked if there was a gym nearby as I was training for the London marathon. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry S
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location of our hotel to your satisfaction.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Loved a lot about this hotel. Great staff, good food, fantastic location. Just the room was poor. Had to turn sideways and breathe in to walk past bed to ensuite. Kept hitting my head on the towel rail over the bath when showering, and absolutely nowhere in the clean spacious bathroom to put a washbag other than on the floor. I had a vague suspicion it was a poorer quality room reserved for singletons maybe?

1  Thank Alison L

Dear Guest,
We earnestly thank you for apprising us with your recent stay experience. We appreciate your valuable time whilst you have written this review. On a humble front, it is nice to read that you have marked as favourably in terms of location, good food and friendly approach of our team members . However, we understand that there is an opportunity to do a lot more in our bedroom you stayed in, your feedback is passed on the maintence team to look into relaying the bed to make more space.

It shall be our endeavour to not just meet, but exceed your expectations, should you plan to visit us again. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My room in this hotel was clean and spacious but very poorly laid out. I had to turn sideways and breathe in in order to walk from the side of the bed where the door to the room was, to the other side of the bed where the ensuite and business area were. The wall also had a radiator on it, leaving inches of passing room. Lovely big ensuite, clean and light, but nowhere to put a washbag, a towel rail over the bath that I banged into when showering, and other odd features. I supposed the room was 'reserved' for single individuals, despite the fact that I am a Hilton Honours member.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor.
I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us, but do take on board your comments regarding room layout and storage space in the ensuite.

I note your comments regarding room size; all of our rooms do vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860. All rooms are Hilton approved and I apologise that on this occasion this did not meet your standards.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and have been impressed on each occasion. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are a good size, well furnished and always immaculately clean. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite on my last visit which has a lounge with windows on two sides and view over the park. It has sofa, chairs, coffee table, side tables and large LCD TV. There is a large wardrobe in the hall area, bathroom and a bedroom which also has LCD TV.

Breakfast (which is included with my Hilton Hhonors gold) is of a consistently good standard and there is a chef available to cook eggs to your liking.

There is a comfortable lounge area and a bar near reception.

The hotel is only a couple of minutes walk from Haymarket station (and the trams when they eventually start running).

1  Thank Angie-Bruce

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your valuable feedback with us here on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you found the service and amenities to be up to your desired expectations. Your generous compliments have been shared with the team, and will certainly motivate them to achieve higher standards of service excellence.

We once again thank you for your valuable feedback and look forward to the pleasure of serving you again at Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

All the service and quality you'd expect from the Hilton Hotel Empire, in a great location. A 2 min walk from Haymarket Station and a 15 min walk from Princes St - you are not right in the heart of the city, so you won't be bothered with noise. Once the trams are up and running, this will be an ideal spot to head to Edinburgh airport. The tram line is just at the end of the road.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovelylexie

Dear lovelylexie,

Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor..

It is indeed wonderful to read that you have enjoyed our hospitality and service and I am delighted that you found the location of our hotel to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor.

Best Regrds,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Often stay in Hilton's as you get good rooms and food. BUT this was not the case in Edinburghs Hilton Grosvenor. Not a patch on Hilton Garden inns or Doubletree hotels.
Room was a nice size, with ok furniture but could be done with a substantial freshen up. The bathroom was musty and the shower extremely awkward with poor pressure and about 5 inch from wall, so far from luxury 4star.
The breakfast, well what can I say. Although I asked and received well cooked poached eggs the hot buffet was simply vile. The main reason being it was stone cold. I actually got a shock at how cold the beans were as they had obviously been in the fridge and hadn't touched a pan. The fat on the bacon was actually solidifying it was so cold. I did complain as I was mortified to think that visitors to my home land received this poor quality experience.
On return to my room that night I did receive a card of apology and a bottle of wine, which I had to return as couldn't take back on my return flight.
Very poor indeed. I'm just glad I wasn't paying for this out of my own pocket as I was in Edinburgh working.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank CMcAngus

Dear Guest,

We thank you for ascertaining us with your feedback and bringing the given anomalies to our attention. We are immensely concerned to read that on this occasion, we considerably fell short of your expectations in terms of providing a good hot cooked breakfast during your stay.

The same has been diligently noted and actioned at our end. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are seriously taking your comments into consideration as we strive to improve our on-property experience.

We hope that you will leave this experience of yours in isolation and will present us with another opportunity to not just meeting but exceeding your expectations. With this thought, we look forward to welcoming you back and earnestly thank you for staying with us on this occasion.
Best Regards, Ash Singh Deputy Manager