Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$300
US$207
US$201
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$488
US$439
US$210
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$108
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
Agoda.com
2,816 results
All reviewshaymarket stationdeluxe roomhigh ceilingscity centreprinces streettram stopbreakfast was excellentporridgehaggisroyal miletownhousecastlebusespubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As far as hotels go, it was ok. Welcoming staff, clean, etc. I wouldnt say it was a 4-star hotel though. Having stayed with the Hilton chain before, I was expecting something much better. The food at the restaurant was very over priced and not that nice. I ordered a steak (£19) and to be brutally honest, I've had nicer steaks elsewhere for half the price. They didnt stock the wine I wanted and I felt the restaurant was heavily understaffed. Having said that, the breakfast selection was excellent and couldnt be faulted.
The bedroom I stayed in was in major need of updating. The wallpaper on the ceiling was falling off, the bath was stained yellow - just not things you would come to expect from such an up-market brand. In the morning, I had to endure a cold shower as there seemed to be no hot water left! In all fairness, they did apologise and as compensation, I did not need to pay my outstanding balance at the bar (£12).
One thing that cannot be faulted was the staff. They were very friendly and did everything they could to help. It is just a shame that the building is in dire need of updating. I would not recommend here if you want the full Hilton experience.

Room Tip: The room beside the lift on floor 3 - very noisy with people coming from the lift.
2  Thank AllieBalli
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am extremely sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectationsI. I have take on board your feedback regarding the meals and will share this with the Food and Beverage team.

We price check against our competitors in the market and try and always ensure the prices we charge are fair and reflect the market that we operate in. I apologise that you feel this was not the case.

I am however pleased that you have outlined the positive aspects of your visit and how our staff are very friendly and did everything they could to help.
Once again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation, but I do hope you decide to return to us in the very near future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall

I constantly travel for work and am in hotels 3-4 nights a week clocking up over 150 room nights last year. I have stayed in the Hilton Grosvenor a number of times over the years.
As this is a Hilton product I knew I would be safe, The hotel is near Shandwick Place so is close to Haymarket station and Prince’s Street. Overall the hotel is quite nice, good location for business travel at but there is no parking. Its either offered on street or discounted at a “nearby” NCP which is actually up Lothian road and a 10-15 minute walk away. This is an ideal hotel for the car-less. Always upon going to reception I am greeted immediately by the staff who issued me as a Diamond HH member with my welcome letter, complimentary Wi-Fi code and drinks vouchers as there is no exec lounge here. The rooms are accessed through 2 lifts over. The place can get a little noisy if you as the doors don’t block sound, the floors are really squeaky and old. The hotel is popular when the rugby is on.
I have had varying experiences here. There was once when the hotel had been sprayed with new fireproofing on the courtains and the smell was unbearable. So many people complained. There have been other times when I have stayed with friends and it was been great.

Service was as expected at a Hilton. The concierges always get you taxis if required.

As there isn’t an exec lounge, diamond and gold’s get breakfast. It is huge and you are spoilt for choice. The haggis is exquisite. There is a full cooked breakfast, other hot food stuff, breads and drinks, yoghurts, et etc. Some standard stuff from my experience but also some nice touches with the hot food. The service in the eating area can be hit or miss. Almost every time i have been there it has been highly understaffed and the queue to eat has been long. This is despite there being free but dirty tables. I would say this happens approx 50% of the time.

Generally very good value at the lower end which can range from £59-200 per night. Seems to fill up quickly so book early for cheaper rates. The Caledonian just down the road is only about £50 more at the higher range of here.

Sleep Quality
Sleep quality for me has varied from excellent to OK. Depends on your “through the wall” mate and the noise from the corridor. The doors allow a lot of sound through so you can hear everyone in the corridor.

Cleanliness
Very clean

Location
Great for the city centre..

Rooms
I was in various rooms. All of them have a good sized bed, LCD TV with internet and a desk to work at. The rooms can be a little hot and the air con in my experience is not at its best. Generally the hotel has gone through a makeover to Hiltons new brown colour scheme but there are elements in the bathrooms and rooms which show the age of the hotel. A good 7 out of 10 though.

General
Nice clean hotel with good service in a good location.

1  Thank Iain F

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for appreciating The Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor. It is the appreciation of guests such as yourself that motivates us to achieve higher levels of service excellence.

We have duly noted your constructive feedback regarding the service in the restaurant during breakfast and the team has been briefed to ensure a superlative experience on your next visit.

Thank you once again for your patronage. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Recently stayed at the hotel as a returning guest as I was attending an event in the Edinburgh area.

The location of the hotel is ideal for Haymarket train station which worked well for me also.

Unfortunately I was on the top floor near a very noisy cupboard, the room was dated with furniture in poor condition- all of this I could deal with. What I don't appreciate is the lack of cleanliness standards, the room was thick with dust across the room and around the edges of the carpet were both dirty and stained. The bathroom wasn't much better with hairs and other items which I wont mention around the bathroom, the toilet handle was also loose. Where are the housekeeping standards and who checked this room for my arrival as this is not acceptable?

Breakfast in the morning was ok, although I had to ask for coffee three times before it arrived. The food quality was good. The staff at reception were very pleasant on arrival and departure.

With so many hotels in the Edinburgh area I would be reluctant to return due to the poor housekeeping standards experienced.

3  Thank GR1UK
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept my personal apologies for your recent disappointing experience with us.
I wish to assure you that your feedback is important to us and that my team members are focused on making the necessary corrective actions.

As always, we are committed to the comfort and well-being of our guests, and are taking positive steps forward as we continue with our process reviews and training programmes.
We sincerely hope that there will be another opportunity in the future to deliver a better experience to you. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,
Ash Singh
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Set just 3 minutes walk from Haymarket station , this is a nice old building that has been converted to a spacious hotel. Easy walking distance to Princess & George St. We had a 3rd floor room and the bedroom wasn't a great size , and it only had a view over a very uncultivated back garden. The best thing about the room was a huge bathroom with bath, double basins and a separate shower. It had a large glass ceiling that brought in natural light and made it a joy to be in.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback and It is great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and being of service to you again in the near future.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The only saving grace of this hotel is the staff. Didn't have a lot of interaction with them but what we did, they were very helpful and friendly.
The hotel does state they do not have parking facilities to be fair. What they don't say is that any chance of getting a space anywhere within walking distance is nil to none. We circled the area for an hour in the car before calling reception to see if they could advise anywhere. We were told there was a car park 20 mins away which would cost us £24 a night! ("But we do offer complimentary taxis there!!")
The hotel itself, is shabby. Nice reception area but downhill from there. Our room was tiny, cramped and roasting. The bed was a very small double and extremely uncomfortable. Not really what I expected from the Hilton chain and very overpriced.
My partner and I stayed for a special occasion, and staying here was meant to be a special surprise. I would go as far as to say the hotel pretty much ruined it for us. I was very upset that it didn't live up to expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Emma471005

Dear Emma471005,

Thank you for your recent feedback report on Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and will adress the concerns that you raised.

All of our rooms do vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860. All rooms are Hilton approved and I apologise that on this occasion this did not meet your standards.
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience experienced with regards to parking. We do state on the front page of the website that there is no onsite parking facilities at the hotel. I am sorry for the frustration this caused you.

I do hope you decide to return to us in the near future where we can have the opportunity to restore your faith in Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

Kindest Regards,