“A good overnight stay”

Ranked #119 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Galway, Ireland
“A good overnight stay”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I needed a no frills overnight in Edinburgh because I was arriving late by train and leaving early in the morning and saw a very good price for a bed only at the Hilton Grovsner Street. As it turned out it was a very pleasant stay in the Town House which is across the road from the main hotel itself.

Looks like it has been recently refurbished but retains the town house feel and a lovely spacious room with a view out onto the street in the morning. Free wi-fi (being trialled here which is great since I do feel that paying for it in the normal Hilton should be a thing of the past) makes the stay complete and good friendly staff at the reception seemed happy to be there and receive guests. Highly recommended.

It's a short walk from the local scene and very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging feedback on Tripadvisor . We are happy to learn that your stay with us was comfortable and you appreciated the services and facilities available.

At Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor we pride ourselves in ensuring each guest can count on us for 100% satisfaction and I am pleased to know we have been able to achieve that.

Your words of praise will most certainly further strengthen the commitment of the team . Thank you for continued patronage and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Wigan
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night while visiting Edinburgh for the first time. Hotel is right across from Haymarket train station. A lovely 20minute walk to the castle and other attractions. Hotel was nice and clean. Small double room. Lovely staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback about Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the services of the hotel and had a comfortable stay. Our persistent effort is on ensuring each guest can count on us during their stay.

We keenly look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Regards.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As far as hotels go, it was ok. Welcoming staff, clean, etc. I wouldnt say it was a 4-star hotel though. Having stayed with the Hilton chain before, I was expecting something much better. The food at the restaurant was very over priced and not that nice. I ordered a steak (£19) and to be brutally honest, I've had nicer steaks elsewhere for half the price. They didnt stock the wine I wanted and I felt the restaurant was heavily understaffed. Having said that, the breakfast selection was excellent and couldnt be faulted.
The bedroom I stayed in was in major need of updating. The wallpaper on the ceiling was falling off, the bath was stained yellow - just not things you would come to expect from such an up-market brand. In the morning, I had to endure a cold shower as there seemed to be no hot water left! In all fairness, they did apologise and as compensation, I did not need to pay my outstanding balance at the bar (£12).
One thing that cannot be faulted was the staff. They were very friendly and did everything they could to help. It is just a shame that the building is in dire need of updating. I would not recommend here if you want the full Hilton experience.

Room Tip: The room beside the lift on floor 3 - very noisy with people coming from the lift.
2 Thank AllieBalli
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am extremely sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectationsI. I have take on board your feedback regarding the meals and will share this with the Food and Beverage team.

We price check against our competitors in the market and try and always ensure the prices we charge are fair and reflect the market that we operate in. I apologise that you feel this was not the case.

I am however pleased that you have outlined the positive aspects of your visit and how our staff are very friendly and did everything they could to help.
Once again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation, but I do hope you decide to return to us in the very near future.

Best Wishes

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall

I constantly travel for work and am in hotels 3-4 nights a week clocking up over 150 room nights last year. I have stayed in the Hilton Grosvenor a number of times over the years.
As this is a Hilton product I knew I would be safe, The hotel is near Shandwick Place so is close to Haymarket station and Prince’s Street. Overall the hotel is quite nice, good location for business travel at but there is no parking. Its either offered on street or discounted at a “nearby” NCP which is actually up Lothian road and a 10-15 minute walk away. This is an ideal hotel for the car-less. Always upon going to reception I am greeted immediately by the staff who issued me as a Diamond HH member with my welcome letter, complimentary Wi-Fi code and drinks vouchers as there is no exec lounge here. The rooms are accessed through 2 lifts over. The place can get a little noisy if you as the doors don’t block sound, the floors are really squeaky and old. The hotel is popular when the rugby is on.
I have had varying experiences here. There was once when the hotel had been sprayed with new fireproofing on the courtains and the smell was unbearable. So many people complained. There have been other times when I have stayed with friends and it was been great.

Service was as expected at a Hilton. The concierges always get you taxis if required.

As there isn’t an exec lounge, diamond and gold’s get breakfast. It is huge and you are spoilt for choice. The haggis is exquisite. There is a full cooked breakfast, other hot food stuff, breads and drinks, yoghurts, et etc. Some standard stuff from my experience but also some nice touches with the hot food. The service in the eating area can be hit or miss. Almost every time i have been there it has been highly understaffed and the queue to eat has been long. This is despite there being free but dirty tables. I would say this happens approx 50% of the time.

Generally very good value at the lower end which can range from £59-200 per night. Seems to fill up quickly so book early for cheaper rates. The Caledonian just down the road is only about £50 more at the higher range of here.

Sleep Quality
Sleep quality for me has varied from excellent to OK. Depends on your “through the wall” mate and the noise from the corridor. The doors allow a lot of sound through so you can hear everyone in the corridor.

Cleanliness
Very clean

Location
Great for the city centre..

Rooms
I was in various rooms. All of them have a good sized bed, LCD TV with internet and a desk to work at. The rooms can be a little hot and the air con in my experience is not at its best. Generally the hotel has gone through a makeover to Hiltons new brown colour scheme but there are elements in the bathrooms and rooms which show the age of the hotel. A good 7 out of 10 though.

General
Nice clean hotel with good service in a good location.

1 Thank Iain F
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for appreciating The Hilton Edinburgh Grsovenor. It is the appreciation of guests such as yourself that motivates us to achieve higher levels of service excellence.

We have duly noted your constructive feedback regarding the service in the restaurant during breakfast and the team has been briefed to ensure a superlative experience on your next visit.

Thank you once again for your patronage. We eagerly look forward to welcoming you back.
Best Regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Recently stayed at the hotel as a returning guest as I was attending an event in the Edinburgh area.

The location of the hotel is ideal for Haymarket train station which worked well for me also.

Unfortunately I was on the top floor near a very noisy cupboard, the room was dated with furniture in poor condition- all of this I could deal with. What I don't appreciate is the lack of cleanliness standards, the room was thick with dust across the room and around the edges of the carpet were both dirty and stained. The bathroom wasn't much better with hairs and other items which I wont mention around the bathroom, the toilet handle was also loose. Where are the housekeeping standards and who checked this room for my arrival as this is not acceptable?

Breakfast in the morning was ok, although I had to ask for coffee three times before it arrived. The food quality was good. The staff at reception were very pleasant on arrival and departure.

With so many hotels in the Edinburgh area I would be reluctant to return due to the poor housekeeping standards experienced.

3 Thank GR1UK
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Please accept my personal apologies for your recent disappointing experience with us.
I wish to assure you that your feedback is important to us and that my team members are focused on making the necessary corrective actions.

As always, we are committed to the comfort and well-being of our guests, and are taking positive steps forward as we continue with our process reviews and training programmes.
We sincerely hope that there will be another opportunity in the future to deliver a better experience to you. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,
Ash Singh
Deputy Manager
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Set just 3 minutes walk from Haymarket station , this is a nice old building that has been converted to a spacious hotel. Easy walking distance to Princess & George St. We had a 3rd floor room and the bedroom wasn't a great size , and it only had a view over a very uncultivated back garden. The best thing about the room was a huge bathroom with bath, double basins and a separate shower. It had a large glass ceiling that brought in natural light and made it a joy to be in.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback and It is great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and being of service to you again in the near future.

Best Wishes.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The only saving grace of this hotel is the staff. Didn't have a lot of interaction with them but what we did, they were very helpful and friendly.
The hotel does state they do not have parking facilities to be fair. What they don't say is that any chance of getting a space anywhere within walking distance is nil to none. We circled the area for an hour in the car before calling reception to see if they could advise anywhere. We were told there was a car park 20 mins away which would cost us £24 a night! ("But we do offer complimentary taxis there!!")
The hotel itself, is shabby. Nice reception area but downhill from there. Our room was tiny, cramped and roasting. The bed was a very small double and extremely uncomfortable. Not really what I expected from the Hilton chain and very overpriced.
My partner and I stayed for a special occasion, and staying here was meant to be a special surprise. I would go as far as to say the hotel pretty much ruined it for us. I was very upset that it didn't live up to expectations.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Emma471005
Dear Emma471005,

Thank you for your recent feedback report on Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and will adress the concerns that you raised.

All of our rooms do vary in size due to the building originally being townhouses when built in 1860. All rooms are Hilton approved and I apologise that on this occasion this did not meet your standards.
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience experienced with regards to parking. We do state on the front page of the website that there is no onsite parking facilities at the hotel. I am sorry for the frustration this caused you.

I do hope you decide to return to us in the near future where we can have the opportunity to restore your faith in Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

Kindest Regards,