“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #119 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Seaton, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Location good, easy walk to centre, easy bus trip from airport.l Restaurant food quality poor. Wines selection poor. Everyday selection and expensive. Staff polite and courteous but need restaurant training. Queues for breakfast tables, but breakfast good when you get it. Get room at back if you don't want street noise at 5am.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Stewart L
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest,

At the outset, we sincerely appreciate you for taking out time to share your experience with us.

I take on board your feedback regarding the meals and will share this with the Food and Beverage team.
I do hope you return to Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor in the very near future.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed in the Town House across the road from the main hotel. Was there for a reunion weekend, bar priced were good as the organisers had negotiated a price as there were 215 of us. Other wise take out a mortgage. A very good hotel spoiled by lack of attention to detail. Some problems (2) rectified immediatley some still waiting. Hot room, cold cooked breakfast, cracked crockery. Don't take your car, NCP parking £24.10 for 24 hours, on street £2.20 per hour max 4 hours. traffic wardens in abundance. Lots of new oneway streets and no entry for cars due to the tram system, even the taxi drivers are unhappy. Princess Street some 15 to 20 mins walk away. Marks and Spencers just round the corner on the main road to the right. Costa coffee in the hotel is a rip off.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Jean M
Dear Jean M,

Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but will certainly feedback your comments regarding breakfast and attention to detail.

I am concerned that you found our Food and Beverage to be expensive. We regularly benchmark ourselves against the competition in the city centre and our price points are well within the average. We offer wines at varying prices and measures and we find that our alcohol pricing is fairly consistent with the market in which we operate.

However, I am always keen to listen to feedback and we will again look at the pricing.

I do hope you visit us again in the very near future.

Best Wishes

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Best avoid this hotel in Edinburgh to be honest unless you want to share it with the odd uninvited guest, yes that's right! My partner was in Edinburgh on business and after a long day of meetings he arrived back late to his room and found another guest running around, this guest had not been invited. It was a mouse! A mouse in 4 star Hilton. He contacted reception, who seemed totally unfazed by the information but immediately moved him to another room. He was offered complimentary breakfast and on checking out the room rate was reduced.... that's it reduced. No appearance by Manager or Deputy Manager - both of whom apparently not available at 9am on a Thursday morning nor available the night before. And of course the only personnel with authority to reduce the rate further or offer compensation/free vouchers. Clearly the episode did not warrant either member of staff being contacted.

Of course these things do happen and often is due to circumstances beyond one's control but it should NOT occur in hotels charging £150 a night room only rates. And it certainly should warrant an appearance by a Manager or Deputy Manager. Best avoid this hotel clearly customer services is NOT top of their priority list regardless what Hilton website states!

Room Tip: Best to avoid.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank chris l
Dear Chris l,
Please accept my personal apologies for your recent disappointing experience with us. I wish to assure you that your feedback is important to us and that my team members are focused on making the necessary corrective actions.

Your feedback has since been thoroughly investigated and since the day you alerted us on this situation, my engineering team with an external specialist has looked for all possibilities and sources that may have caused the issue and continuously working towards eliminating the cause completely. Also, as a precaution, we are completing regular internal check and external audits by a third party.

Please be assured that the safety and security of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and we follow the highest standards to maintain our products.

My sincere apologies once again, and do contact us directly should you have any further queries on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Deputy Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was not sure about this hotel, but the rate was good so I checked it out. I had an upgrade to a deluxe room, and I believe that is what made the difference to the more mediocre reviews here.

The deluxe room was very spacious, and had a very nice English (Scottish) old school feel to it whilst modern. Breakfast service and food was excellent, and I found reception staf to be helpful and friendly. At the rate I paid (ca. £60) I have received excellent value!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank insulaner1984
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It gives me immense pleasure to receive such a superlative feedback.
It is a pleasure to know that your stay was most enjoyable and our services and facilities exceeded your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Regards,
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is second to none, the staff are so helpful and considerate and our room was clean and tidy with everything we needed for our stay. The food was delicious from the evening meal to breakfast. The location is a nice scenic 10min walk from Princes Street. We had a great experience staying here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

India, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your feedback about Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. We are elated to know that you had a great experience at the hotel and our services were at par with your expectations. Your kind words of appreciation will definitely inspire the team to continue to deliver their best.
We eagerly look forward to welcoming you again at the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. You can count on us.
Best Regards, Ash Singh, Deputy Manager
East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This was my second stay at the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. On my first stay earlier in the February, the Hotel heating and hot water system wasn't working so I woke up to a cold room and no hot water. The Hotel did apologise and were offering a 50% room reduction to all guests checking out, not that I benefited from this as it was a business trip! I gave the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor the benefit of the doubt and returned in May and had no issues with hot water this time. I ordered room service which was quick to arrive and the food was good if not on the expensive side and they do charge a £4 tray charge. Room was ok, but thought the net curtains could do with a wash (maybe the Hotel had been waiting for the hot water to be fixed...). Was rudely awaken by a guest across the hall shouting on a mobile phone at 2am but I guess that could happen in any hotel. Breakfast was good, with eggs cooked fresh to your liking, unlike other Hotels where the fried eggs are cooked earlier and chucked into a serving dish. Overall, the stay was good and as it is a 5 minute walk to the office, I will probably stay again. However, it isn't somewhere I would stay if I came to Edinburgh for pleasure rather than business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Overall experience was good, however hotel rooms would use some refreshment. Also would be good to fit air conditioning. There was a electric heater in the room but I think those days is not what you expect from hotel of this class.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo