“sunken bed mattress”

Ranked #119 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“sunken bed mattress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

i stayed in the single room in the townhouse and unfortunately, the bed mattress was extremely sunken. no matter how comfortable or high end other fixtures and fittings etc may be, I think the basic provision a hotel needs to fulfil is a great bed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Mira H
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I would like to apologise that you did not find the mattress to your satisfaction.

We replace mattresses on a rolling basis, and also as and when required to do so.

Next time you book to stay here, please contact me directly and I will personally ensure the room you are allocated meets your satisfaction.

Ash Singh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Newtownards, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The hotel is in an old building which gives it a charm- however the rooms are poorly appointed. The first room I was given had damp in the carpet, a bed that was lumpy, a bathroom that needed maintenance and the ambiance of a prison cell.

The second room, an upgrade executive double, was cold, this is summer, noisy, with poor beddings and stained carpets.

Unusually in a situation like this the staff are a redeeming factor, but not this time. The staff were reoccupied and inattentive.

Breakfast: my only meal in the hotel - the chief liked to leave his station to keep his customers waiting on their fired egg which he serves undercooked. The potato bread was soggy, the hash brown had no crunch, the bacon anaemic, the sausages a challenging chew and the black pudding was uneatable.

As a business hotel - avoid this place -

Room Tip: if you have to stay insist on an executive room and free internet that will help
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TNTaway
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am very surprised to read the comments for breakfats food quality, we get great feedback for our breakfast offerings and food qualiity, however I apologise that you felt this was not the case.

I do hope you brought the issues you highlighted to the attention of the duty manager as this would have given us the opportunity to resolve them.

I do hope you decide to book again, and would be happy to assist you personally should this be the case

Deputy Manager

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

the hospitality was excellent and the staff were polite and friendly,
The food was delicious.my compliments to your chefs.
The room was a twin bedded room and very clean.
As I was on my own on works business it was very spacious.
only stayed one night but would return with my husband for a longer recreational break.

Within walking distance of Princess street and Edinburgh castle and Royal mile.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear david30Wigan,
Many thanks for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and will ensure your review is shared with the team who will be delighted to read it.
I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Ash Singh(Deputy Manager)
Molde, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

If a hotel is a part of the Hilton hotel Chain you have big expetions. The Grosvenor is a disapointment. The best first. The hotel is only a 2 minutes walk from the trainstation Haymarket. But there it stops. Stairs everywhere, carpet on the floor. The bathroom was not clean. And no extra service. I asked for an umbrella. Nope (It seemed like they had two...in Sunny Edinburgh). No adapter, but they told me to go to a kiosk to buy one. The breakfast was very poor. You had to wait ten minutes for a toast, and the alternatives was few. I also ordered a taxi to the airport, it did not came so I had to ask once more. And the price? I know hotels are expensive in Edinburgh but 149 punds per night, for this? Not again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Fotballitalia
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel on tripadvisor.

Naturally, I am very disappointed to read your displeasure regarding your stay with us, tis review is certainly not the general perception of the hotel and I am sorry that is how you found it.

Ou team are renowned for their friendly welcome, which is highlighted on this site, and again I apologise you did not find this to be the case.

Can I ask that you contact me personally next time you wish to stay in the hotel and I will ensure that your stay is 100% to your expectation.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the property.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a very last minute weekend through British Airways. We had never stayed in this hotel nor the area of Haymarket. It was convenient for exploring Edinburgh, still within walking distance to Princes St (just under a mile). The hotel staff were so friendly, the room bigger than expected as we had booked a standard room. Lovely comfortable king size bed. Room lovely and clean and in a quiet part of the hotel at the back. No view - which we didn't mind as we were out all day.
The breakfast was superb, freshly cooked omelette of your choice along with the usual breakfast items.
I cannot fault this hotel and we will definitely return.
Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review on tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as that, I am delighted that you mentioned the quality of the food served at brekafast and the team have done a great job in looking after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Kind Regards,
Ash Singh (Deputy Manager)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

the hotel has fallen into disrepair. it's noisy, the rooms smell, the rooms are not clean and the staff does not seem to care. the bathrooms were not clean, the entrance has beer bottles and cigarette butts. it's noisy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

3 Thank nathanaf2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor..

Naturally, I am very concerned with your review of the hotel. I would like to apologise that we have not met your expectations on this stay and I will share the feedback with the team here.

We have a duty management team on 24 hours a day to manage any guest concerns and we are always delighted to assist where we can.

Once again, many thanks for the feedback.

Alabster, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Excellent hotel. Although the rooms were a bit smaller than american hotel rooms, and service was excellent, and the location was perfect for sightseeing in Edinburgh. Front counter staff was very helpful with tour setups, and the breakfast is among the best we've seen.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear David H,

Many thanks for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best Wishes,