“Complicated stay”

Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor
Ranked #119 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were originally told each room could only hold two people, so we had to book four rooms. Upon arrival, we found out there were two singles and a fold out sofa (which easily fits two small children) in each room. The front desk did not want to cancel extra two rooms. However after asking for manager, she kindly canceled them. Our rooms were located across the street from main building, parking on street and guest throwing rocks at me from third floor - all weird, but maybe normal for city of Edinburgh. I wasn't overly impressed with city or hotel. I did like cleanness of room and power of the shower. This was our third stay in a hilton hotel this trip and this was by far the one with the least service or ease. I am wondering about location, but in We will keep trying...

Room Tip: The fold out sofas can fit two kids ages 6 and 8.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was put in the town house over the road from the main hotel, it was quite and lovely. My only negative was I had to walk over the road to the bar! The food was great, the service was excellent and staying there for 19 nights you get to know the staff and how the hotel runs and I was impressed with the level of professional and polite staff the hotel had. I was there on business and since have lot quite a lot of people about my stay and if they are staying in Edinburgh this is the place to stay for service and location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Rebecca B,

Many thanks for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and will ensure your review is shared with the team who will be delighted to read it. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Best Wishes
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here with friends for two nights over the weekend. We were allocated rooms in the Townhouse part of the hotel, across the road from the main hotel. We weren't disappointed - both rooms were ample size, very clean, with lovely bathrooms. We were surprised with cards, complimentary wine and a plate of strawberries, shortbread and chocolate sauce for our "birthday boys" in the rooms on arrival which was lovely and very much appreciated! Breakfast was served in the main part of the hotel and was excellent quality with lots of choice. Throughout the stay the staff were always very helpful and welcoming. The only minor fault was the squeaky floor boards....but very minor and comes with the age of the beautiful building. Location was also excellent for Haymarket station, the tram and a gentle stroll into the city centre. Will certainly return

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Elaine B,

Thank you very much for your recent review of Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.
I am deighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and would like to return to visit us again. I will ensure your review is shared with the team here.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Mnay thanks,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here as its very central and also very easy to get back out of the city in the morning, rooms were very nice and great service and ofcourse a fanastic day / night in the capital. thanks again........

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Lewis C,

Kind Regards,
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was in Scotland exploring cities and accommodations for future trips. This Hilton was clean with attentive staff and located in a great place to access trains, buses and good restaurants. The building is old and so there are creaky floors, etc., but it felt safe for someone traveling abroad to an unknown city. The internet and breakfast services were also good. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I needed a reliable room, but I would explore B&Bs for a better value first.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Naturally when you go online and see the standard of rooms a 4* Hilton Hotel has to offer, you have high expectations.
The hotel is very close to the train station which is great and very handy to get in and out of town and to the airport.
I walked into the lobby and thought "wow, this is going to be fabulous" but when we stepped out of the elevator on the third floor, I knew that the standards were not going to be as fabulous as expected.
The floorboards in the hall were creeky and the long corridors made it a little eery. We entered our room and I have never felt so disappointed - the floor felt like they were going to fall through any minute and the carpets looked as if they were supposed to be cream but was covered in stains.
The bathroom door was near impossible to open - sometimes it felt like I needed to take a run at it! The bathroom itself was ok - it was dated but they had tried to make it look stylish.

The bed covers seemed cheap and felt awful.

The staff at breakfast were terrible apart from one girl who couldn't of been more helpful. The rest joked about the room and forgot about my pot of tea, TWICE.

Overall, i wasn't happy with this hotel, if you want value for your money, go to a premier inn or something - the rooms will be a lot nicer than the Hiltons in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2014
Grosvenor_Edinburgh, Manager at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor.

Firstly, I would to apologise for the condition of your bedroom and sorry that it did not meet your expectations.

I also apologise that you were unsatisfied with the breakfast Experience.
We really get lots of postitve comments about our breakfast being enjoyable and friendly staff .
We are always glad to receive feedback and have shared this with the breakfast team to improve on points noted from your self.

Please be assured that your feedback will be acted upon and I hope you will revisit us in the future to allow us to restore your faith in this hotel.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Spent a night here at the start of July with my other half. The lower floors and reception was lovely and the staff were really helpful.

The room we had was not the best quality. The carpet was cream and was very dirty with stains in the corners of the room. The bathroom was ever so slightly dated and could do with more modern shower and bath facilities.

The bed was very comfortable although very warm ! Not bad for a night's stay.

The highlight of the stay was the hospitality of the breakfast staff and the breakfast itself, it was absolutely lovely and the selection was great ! The staff were lovely, it was just a shame about the room.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple