“Disappointed”

Frederick House Hotel
Ranked #110 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Have stayed here in the past over the past years.
Really disappointed with the place, we had a room (405) which had a problem with central heating which manifested itself with the sound of a constant gushing tap. After getting the night porter up twice and failing to get an alternative room we spent an uncomfortable night. We did get a rebate on our room price but they had already had complaints about this room and hadn't acted on it.
Won't stay aain

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyndanbob

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this weekend it was my first visit to this hotel and I wasn't expecting too much for the price we paid including breakfast when we arrive the receptionist was very helpful and directed us to our room on 4th floor the room was amazing with a single and double bed but the room Also had stairs leading up to a desperate living area with TV and sofa bed breakfast was in cafe-rouge across the road and was very nice will certainly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for two nights.

At £110 for two nights you cannot go wrong but there are some problems with this hotel.

The good things first:
Great central location and big room. Tastefully decorated bathroom.
Clean room.

The less good things:
A lack lustre greeting from the start
Curtains falling off the rails which I had to reattach myself by standing on the arms of the chair!
Television doesn't work properly
No duvet, just a sheet and old blanket.... We are not in the 1940s!!
Single glazing and lots of (cobbled) street noise, even on the 3 rd floor.
Terrible breakfast at cafe rouge which should be ashamed of itself!

Verdict: okay for a cheap business hotel for one or two nights but do not come here if you want a nice weekend away.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pipehitter
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked this hotel for my birthday. We stayed for 2 nights got a great rate. Perfect location as you are next to everything in Edinburgh city centre. Rooms very clean. The bed was so comfy. Lovely hotel. Breakfast was small over at cafe rouge but was enough to get your day going.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Svarney86
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here in February 2012, and it was clean, chic, and central, as the title implies. The beds were comfortable, and the hotel has history, and I was impressed with the service, cleanliness, and proximity to the restaurant where breakfast is served (eat a croque madame!) This place did not disappoint, and I would recommend anyone, especially a discerning traveler, stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kristin B
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I took my fiancé here for his birthday as we wanted somewhere central and close to the restaurant I had booked. They were absolutely lovely - I don't know if we were upgraded (as they knew it was his birthday) but the room was lovely. Comfy bed, tastefully decorated, lovely ensuite bathroom with tea/coffee making facilities and a mini fridge. Just perfect for relaxing before going out. Everything was spotless and the room was lovely and spacious with great views over Edinburgh.

We were on the fourth floor and didn't hear a thing, so we had a very peaceful sleep! The room was lovely and warm too, which hasn't always been the case in the UK so far. WiFi worked fine up there too.

The best part was the kindness of the staff - they responded to my emails promptly and were nothing but polite, hospitable and friendly.

The location is fantastic, within walking distance to shops and the bus station and the train station. The castle and the old town are a short walk away. Plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby, we found the breakfast at Cafe Rouge was very nice and very prompt service.

I highly recommend this hotel as it's excellent value for money. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed 22 February 2014

A central hotel in Edinburgh, the receptionist was friendly and helpful, the room was well furnished and clean. The only negative was eating in the Café rouge across the street. Food was good, but the service was a bit erratic.

Room Tip: No problems or thing I can suggest to look out for