“Good, but not outstanding”

Frederick House Hotel
Ranked #111 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

On the plus side: Excellent location, smoothly run, clean and tidy room, free wifi. Nothing special, good considering the price. Breakfast is across the road at Rick's. This was OK, but seemed to be on a tight budget, four stars and filter coffee don't go together for me.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Franz A

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel has everything you need for a city break. Excellent location in the centre of Edinburgh with everything within walking distance. The room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. It was warm- we needed this even in May!
The hotel was well kept and reception staff helpful.
There was no bar or dining room, but the hotel was surrounded by excellent restaurants. Breakfast is served across the road in Cafe Rouge. There was limited choice- Hot standard 'ScottishBreakfast', or eggs on toast, or criossant or Granola. 25% off other food in the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We (me and my wife) stayed in this hotel for two nights at the end of April 2014. Everything in the hotel was very neat and tidy. The room we stayed in was very clean, specially the bathroom/toilet. The double room we stayed in was spacious and in fact had an extra single bed besides the double bed. From our room we did not really any view to the outside as we could only see the other part of the building; it's not something I would complain about though, as to me it doesn't really make much of a difference.

The hotel also had free wifi access which was very convenient and a TV mounted on a very unusual side of the wall and height. It did not really matter as we didn't even switch the TV on for once.

Location wise, you can't ask for a better place as it's literally 2-3 mins walk away from Princes Street, the heart of Edinburgh. Just around the corner, there is also a Sainsbury's.

As part of the stay you are offered a breakfast coupon at Cafe Rouge which is right across the road from the hotel. We ate there once and I wouldn't rate it very high, neither low. You have a choice of vegetarian breakfast or the full English.

During our entire stay at the hotel, I have not seen either one of the reception staff smile, not for once. When we first stepped in the hotel to check in, the gentleman at the reception talked in such a robotic manner and urgency, without even a single blink, I didn't really understand half of what he said. I just grabbed the key and went to our room. The other person at the reception, a lady was not quite the same but hardly smiled.

I would stay in this hotel again. Definitely. It's in the city centre and a very nice and tidy hotel... but I am not sure about the hotel staff, my only request to them is, please smile a bit more even if you have to force it.

3  Thank YeaminArafat
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The standard of this hotel is more 3* than 4* and it had a distinct student hall feel to it. The hotel sign had a letter missing and there were random items of rubbish (e.g. discarded old coat) lying outside. Once inside, a dark corridor led to the basic reception located at the back of the hotel. The receptionist was brusque in manner and impatient in dealing with any questions. I was surprised at this attitude as everyone else on my first trip to Edinburgh had been so friendly. The second receptionist I encountered had a very similar attitude, cutting off my sentences before I could even finish. Smiles were in short supply.

The room and bathroom were very clean, a good size, and looked recently refurbished in a modern style. The double bed was comfortable and there was a flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The hotel also offered free Wi-Fi but the connection speed was very slow. Temperature control in the room involved turning a knob by the side of the radiator. The room looked directly onto another building so the view was someone else’s window. One tiny soap and cheap shower gel (also masquerading as shampoo) were provided in a small sachet. The room had a hair dryer, iron and ironing table. There was a large gap under the door so I could hear people in the corridors and conversations in other rooms late at night. Luckily I had ear plugs.

The hotel location is great though. It is on a quiet street but only a 5 minute walk from Princes Street. It is about a 10 minute walk to Waverley Station, where the No. 100 express bus to the airport also stops. This costs £4 and takes about 30 minutes. The walk to Edinburgh Castle is 20 minutes.

Breakfast was included in the reasonable price of £75 for a Sunday night stay, and was served at the Café Rouge across the street. The vegetarian breakfast I ordered had small portions. Any extras had to be paid for, including wanting a second small glass of orange juice or tea. The spinach and mushrooms looked canned. The hotel offered a 25% discount if you ate lunch or dinner at Café Rouge, which was a good deal. The smile ration hadn’t extended to Café Rouge and the service was friendly.

The hotel allowed me to leave my case in the left luggage room on my day of departure. I had to take my own luggage down to the dusty old storage room in the basement. No help was offered and the receptionist directed me to the storage room as quickly and briefly as possible before turning away as if I had imposed on his time.

Overall the hotel was very good for location and comfort, but poor for service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Skylarks
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Spent a couple of nights there. Nice enough. Clean and in super location, just at junction of George Street with an abundance of bars, restaurants etc and only 5 mins from Harvey Nicks etc. oddly, no facilities at all for eating/drinking but plenty of places nearby. Budget range stuff but snapped up a lovely double room on a Saturday for £80 which I think is good value for a capital city centre hotel. Doesn't pretend to offer anything spectacular but does what it says on the tin.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights - clean good sized room. Location is good and not in a busy/noisy street.
Only little negative was that you could hear the elevator going up and down from our room. It's not particularly loud but nonethess noticeable. Otherwise, you do hear some noise when people are in the hallways as well.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as far away from the elevator as possible.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here as a last min booking , and when I arrived I didn't realise I walked past this hotel every week , so it was a pleasant surprise when I walked through the door to what I can say is a warm , pleasant, inviting welcome , the decor to a high standard and an efficient staff on reception.
Room was big for a single room and all modern conveniences, bath with shower over it with lots of hot water.
Only issue in my visit is the floor has a constant vibration and on asking about it was told it came from the adjacent property I was also offered a different room but to be honest there was no need ,slept well , I .would recommend a visit

Room Tip: If the room I stayed in is the standard I wouldn't mind any room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business